Oh How I hate Crooks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LET C32 2002
Originally Posted by DesiBaba
So as alot of you know, i've been trying to sell my car for the longest time now, but ofcourse given the great market for used E, its been 4 months and i still don't have a buyer.
Well it all changed yesterday afternoon when an individual called from chicago really interested in my car, and wanted to pay $35,000 for it. I'm like are you serious why would u pay over my asking price. Turns out he's some loaded easten european dude and only would be here for few months and he is in luv with this car and has to have it NOW. I'm like ok, whtever floats his boat. So we set up a meet few hours later, him agreeing to pay with cash/cashiers check if he does like the car. The dude and his cuz show up in a late model Carrera, so seems like they're in money to be able to pay cash/cashiers check without financing the amount. The individual doesn't even test drive the car, lets his cuz drive it and make the decision for him. I say whtever again. The guy pulls out a cashiers check, seemed authentic, i insisted on making copies of his ID. Everything seemed fine, i signed over my title(there's still a lean on it). Off they go in my shiny just detailed E.
Just on a hunch i tried calling the bank to verify the funds last nite on my way back from the sale, ofcourse the bank is closed. Called them this morning, turns out freaking check is a FAKE. Oh it hit me then, how stupid i have been to make a deal like that. I trusted the guy, seemed geniune, when its always been my life theory to not trust ANYONE, and then i go do something like that. Maybe i just got too desperate to sell, i really hated the car lately.
But then again i have given cashiers check myself when i bought the cars before so i trusted that medium of payment. Arghhhh....
I called up the police this morning, ofcourse cop goes well lets fill out the paper work and tells me 'u know it all takes time, i'll have a report ready for you sometime middle of next week' hello this is my car we're talking about, dude do something now. The car is proly already halfway accross the ocean on its way to europe.
sorry dude........

i almost got taken by counterfiet money orders from a person claiming they nedded help in the uk
Old 11-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F248 F1
**** the cops..do it yourself!
Old 11-02-2006, 05:50 PM

2005 E320, 2004 C240 4Matic, 2001 S430
Dude, please keep us posted with what goes on, as others said you have been brave enough to tell your story here and should not be intimidated by other people who lecture.

Also, I agree with "do it yourself" up to a certain point. I will definitely not hurt the guy or expose myself and risk of being hurt. If you want to do some investigative work and watch the guy do that but then go to the cops and have the pick him up (and the car, hopefully).

Finally, what does his ID say? Did you look up the name on it, does it match the address on the ID? And don't forget to activate TeleAid, seems like it might work...

Oh, and is this "no car older than 3 years can be shipped overseas" new? By the way, how come you had the title if you still had a note on the car?

Sergiu
Old 11-02-2006, 06:29 PM

that almost happened to me once....through cars.com some ******* wanted to sell a car from out of the country....

desi,

moral of the story....dont buy a car you will want to dump quick later on....
lease it or buy it very cheap or only from a dealer.

Last edited by sklasse; 11-02-2006 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:36 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter
sorry to hear that...

I would've think anyone who wants to pay over what other people is asking is either insane or a fraud.

hope you get this solved.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E350
I agree, don't be discouraged to post anything on this forum because of others that may lecture you. I assume you already expected this when you posted your dilemma. But that is exactly what you need, advice on how to not let this happen again and/or stories of this happening to others and how they handled their situation. This is what the forum is all about. I know you may get lectured but don't take it too seriously and just learn from it. I have never had to cash or deposit a money order or cashiers check in my life, but then again I have not really sold anything worth thousands. I certainly learned from this thread from everyone that has posted. I am glad that you posted this and truly am much more aware of what's out there.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:21 PM

C240
Thanks again for your concern. Funny that you guys mention taking care of this on my own. The very first cop i spoke to, he said, off the record i know what i would do to these ****ers, i would go down to their house and beat the living **** out of them. Well me being me, i'm not going to go beat up that guy. What i'm doing is, getting a lawyer involved, becuz i've realised these are real life cops not CSI cops. This is the only way to save my *** from burning by the insurance co.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:41 PM

C240
Does anybody know how does the insurance co. evaluates the car value?
Do they look up KBB/NADA or the retail market value from mercedes dealer or internet or they have their own agenda?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
When one of my cars nose was hit by my daughter & totalled by the insurance company, (older car w/2 airbags blown, radiator, a/c system, hood etc) they paid me fair market retail (what I would have to pay at a dealer for the same used car) minus my deductible.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:22 AM

DesiBaba, Barry45RPM is right - the insurance company, believe it or not, will give you a very fair price (i.e. dealer retail) minus your deductible. You might actually come out ahead If you don't mind me asking, what is it you were asking for the car? I sold my E500 with 64K miles heavily modified (all cosmetic stuff though) for a little over $31K this summer. It seems like values have plummeted though (probably due to the facelift), at least for what I've seen. If you get over $30K you're good.

And again, how did you have the title if you had a note (lien) on the car?
Old 11-03-2006, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
In some states the purchaser gets the title with the leinholder's name and address in a special box at the bottom, so that you can sell the car, but the new owner knows there's a lein on it UNLESS there is a "Satisfaction of Lein" issued by the leinholder stapled to the Title, which therefore makes the title "clear" to the seller. That's how it is in NY.

I know, in Florida, for example, a clear Title is physically held by the leinholder & is mailed to the "owner/registrant" of the vehicle when the loan is paid in full to the lein holder. In those states, I don't understand how one can sell the vehicle to another buyer, because the buyer would have no idea whether there is 1 leinholder or more on the title, which is not in the owners posession. How do you know what you are getting when you give the guy your money? And how do you know the registrant is actually the "titled Owner & is really allowed to sell it?
Old 11-03-2006, 12:17 PM

so you have nothing to worry about...you had full insurance on that car
Old 11-03-2006, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by sklasse
so you have nothing to worry about...you had full insurance on that car
Some insurance companies will not pay for a theft by deception as its their feeling that the insured did not do due dilligence. In addition some insurance companies require that the title be signed over to them in event of a theft claim or total loss. He can't do that as the title has already been not only signed over but physically handed over. He is best to get an attorney to resolve this and by taking the action that some posters have suggested will only get himself in trouble or deeper into the problem. In fact some of the suggestions that have beeen made are pure idiodic.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:25 PM

2006 E350
Idiotic? Maybe, but when authorities do a half *** job you can't just sit around doing nothing. Sometimes you need to do some tasks yourself to help them out. I'm not really a violent person but I can have a very voilent imagination and if pushed hard enough I can make it happen. I don't see how helping authorities find the crooks can place you in deeper sh.. Yes your best bet would be to hire that million dollar attorney but I couldn't just sit back and rely on them.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Its just not prudent to go beat up a (Felony rap) car thief who probably has bigger & meaner "associates" who know where you live & that you will soon be getting a brand new car. There are more important things than becoming a repeat victim, or learning to walk again after a tag team "meeting of the minds".

Its not the same thing as ranting, screaming and humiliating a young cashier for forgetting the sprinkles on your ice cream cone.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-03-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:12 PM

2006 E350
Gotcha Barry, just throwing options. Just hope they don't know where the victim lives or he may be getting another visit when they find out that he has the authorities involved. Can't hurt to just spy on the guy and inform the police.
Old 11-03-2006, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Originally Posted by barrafp
Idiotic? Maybe, but when authorities do a half *** job you can't just sit around doing nothing. Sometimes you need to do some tasks yourself to help them out. I'm not really a violent person but I can have a very voilent imagination and if pushed hard enough I can make it happen. I don't see how helping authorities find the crooks can place you in deeper sh.. Yes your best bet would be to hire that million dollar attorney but I couldn't just sit back and rely on them.
Yes, idiodic!! What some are proposing is as illegal and draws stronger and longer penalties than the crime that was committed. You may just end up in a cell next to them and for a longer period of time. And, no you do not need a million dollar lawyer to negotiate a settlement with your insurance company. Beides, the thieves are proably long gone and so is the car either in Eastern Europe or South of our border. Its unlikely that they can be found at this point.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:38 PM

2006 E350
Just an exaggeration on the attorney comment and the whole action, to mean any cost that could have been avoided if non of this had occured. I'm very well aware of the punishment for any crime. Anyways, I have never had to deal with the law before since I'm a very law abiding citizen but with cruel thoughts. I'm sure the investigator and the police are well aware that the criminals are long gone and will not be answering future calls and that is why they are not putting much effort into this. So go after another entity that had nothing to do with the problem but plays a significant part in recovery, the insurance company. Since you mentioned that he did not exercise due diligence, what sort of settlement can he get with the insurance company?
This should be an interesting outcome and I will be awaiting results.

Last edited by barrafp; 11-03-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
That's a terrible story, Desibaba. Good luck and I sincerely hope you get your car/money back and the thieves are punished appropriately. If they'd stolen 30k through tax fraud they'd probably be facing the death penalty! And this is worse as there is actually a victim at the end of personal scamming like this. Unlike internet scams, the fact they had a Carrera added some real credibility so don't be too down on yourself. Just stay in contact with the police, your insurance company and your lawyer. It'll all work out.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:33 PM

DesiBaba, do you have any updates on this?
Old 11-08-2006, 06:38 PM

C240
Nothing yet, as you all know how slow the system works.
Police tells me they have a warrant out for the crook, so when and if they do catch him they'll interrogate him re my car. Thats satisfying to know, our $$$s are hard at work. Insurance co. seems to be moving along, lets see how they make out, i have more hopes from them then the police making anything happen anytime soon. I'll let u guys know how this makes out to be.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:45 PM

do you mean insurance company is tracking the crooks or working to get your reimbursed
Old 11-13-2006, 09:32 AM

E500W '03, Porsche Cayman S '06
Just saw this in the Chicago Tribune

Hey DesiBaba, is this yours?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

Hope you find it intact.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:28 AM

2008 Aspen, 1970 Corvette, 2000 Corvette and 2009 Legacy Limited
Originally Posted by jabo
Hey DesiBaba, is this yours?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...l=chi-news-hed

Hope you find it intact.

HOLY COW... are you kidding me? They got they cons? Talk about justice...

And about the call trace... it can happen. However, to locate a wireless user for POLICE BUSINESS... it must be life threatening... For this non life threatening stuff... it goes through FBI... it is called a CALEA request. (IE.. PHONE TAPPING) Most wireless carriers cover their butts when it is not life threatening. Subpoena is usually required and sent to a compliance dept that requests this data. Never heard of one being issued from police for stolen car... I am in the wireless business... like some of our other members...

Hope it turns out well for you. Good Luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:18 PM

so the police did end up doing a good job...hehe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oh How I hate Crooks!