Rust removal from brake calipers ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Removing rust from brake calipers and paint results pics

Posted this in the Detailing section but got no viable responses...anyone here have experience with rust removal?

This is a front brake caliper of my '04 e320 that I took delivery of end of August.Unfortunately the dealer's prep dept uses a high pressure cleaning sytem that pretty much removes all of the coating on the calipers resulting in what you see.
I want to repaint the calipers and am wondering what the best rust/corrosion removal to use would be. There are caliper wire brushes, drill mounted rotating brushes, emery cloth, etc. I don't want to use something caustic like naval jelly. Evapo-Rust is safe but requires soaking in a container. I also don't want to remove the units from the car for bead blasting, powdering, etc. Anyone have any experience with this ? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Rust removal from brake calipers ?-caliper.jpg  

Last edited by starbrite; 11-10-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Use a Wire brush and Brake clean, On the Heavy rust spots use a dremel with a wire brush it Will remove most all rust stains.I Would remove the brake pads to paint the calipers..There are several brands of brake caliper paint..both brush on and spray...Spray will give one better results...Good Luck

Btw make sure to mask off the wheel well before painting to avoid overspray
Old 11-10-2006, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 E320
Thanks Mark...I actually decided to tackle this project early this morning because it was a nice sunny, mild day here on Long Island. Interestingly I did exactly what you suggested with the exception of the Dremel. ( I already had the Duplicolor paint kit, brush on). I decided to only remove the spring and the connector to the pad sensor...then depending on the long term results do a more thorough job in the spring. (just did the fronts today)The first photo is after using a wire brush and drill mounted wire wheel. What remaining discoloration/rust came off easily with very fine steel wheel, sprayed with the brake cleaner that came with the kit.
The second photo is the caliper assembly after 2 thin coats of paint ( this is pretty thin paint and goes a long way)
The last photo is with wheel mounted and, I must say, I am very pleased with the look. We'll see how it holds up. ( Duplicolor claims that its "high temp" @ 400 degrees) BTW, I remounted the springs about 45min after the second coat and one of them slipped, the hook rubbing across the surface, but not a scratch in the paint. That's a good sign of the durability, I hope.
If you compare the 3rd photo with the one in the op, quite a difference !
Attached Thumbnails Rust removal from brake calipers ?-caliper2.jpg   Rust removal from brake calipers ?-caliper3.jpg   Rust removal from brake calipers ?-caliper4.jpg  

Last edited by starbrite; 11-10-2006 at 05:13 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W220 M113K
good job, looks brand new!