E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

DVD-Nav Status

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2002, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB E500
DVD-Nav Status

When I originally ordered my 500 I was on the fence about getting the DVD-Nav system. More than $2K seemed like a lot of money to do something that $2 map can do albeit not nearly as cool. But after reading the posts on this site about the system and its capabilities and finally the $500 discount off the system for preorders, I have decided to purchase it. My dealer tells me that MB is now saying it won't be available until at least the 1st quarter of next year. I had previously been told January. I also understand that the first quarter target now could even slip.

Anyone know if availability is going to be much later than the beginning of next year possibly summer, and if that is correct, why? DVD-Nav's have been out there for a couple of years in other cars. Why is MB taking so long to put it into the E?

Where can I find any specific info on the capabilities of the MB DVD Nav system? My dealer has nothing and neither does the MB website.

Last edited by rayscar; 09-09-2002 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-09-2002, 12:38 PM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
Information from the UK site on Comand, APS

It is very interesting what is available on other country sites. I took a look at the UK MB site as to features of the E class. The way to get there is to start at the UK site:

http://www.mercedes-benz.co.uk/index.html

Then click on "Cars", then "Model Range", then "E Class Saloon", then "Features", then "Telematics" and finally, "Comand APS"

In case you can't get to that, here is what is said:

"The COMAND APS system has been given a complete overhaul, so you should find the optimised functions and features even easier to use. Comprised of two separate components, the operating system (COMAND) and a navigation module (APS) located in the boot-the new system can store map data for many different European countries on just a single DVD.
A telephone keypad and softkey function buttons operate the 2-tuner diversity radio, CD/DVD drive and generous 6.5" TFT colour display. You can also have a TV tuner installed as an optional extra. Enjoy a fine quality picture that fades out when the car exceeds 5mph, even though the sound continues."

Now, who knows if our system will be the same as the one they are using for the UK. But, interestingly, if it is, a TV tuner is an option!!
Old 09-09-2002, 01:21 PM

2003 MB E500
Thanks jhb. The more I see about the DVD-Nav the more I'm glad I decided to get it. Too bad MB won't provide us with the specifics of the system that the USA will get. They must know essentially what it will include. Still can't understand why the system wasn't ready for the E's launch in the USA. Hope it is EARLY in the first quarter and not summer next year!
Old 09-09-2002, 01:44 PM
jhb

Maybe they want to make sure it is done right and are willing to take the hit on goodwill from annoyed buyers by the delay to accomplish that. As my dealer says, it is amazing what they don't tell even the dealers! But, perhaps that is just wanting to have definitive information.

I am also amazed by the lack of information on the wood wheel, fold down seats, etc. In a way, I am glad I ordered so late that my car will be built only in the next two weeks, hopefully allowing for some of that to be worked out. Also, that allowed me to add to the order some items not even on the list when I first started to talk about ordering.
Old 09-09-2002, 01:47 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by jhb
Maybe they want to make sure it is done right and are willing to take the hit on goodwill from annoyed buyers by the delay to accomplish that. As my dealer says, it is amazing what they don't tell even the dealers! But, perhaps that is just wanting to have definitive information.

I am also amazed by the lack of information on the wood wheel, fold down seats, etc. In a way, I am glad I ordered so late that my car will be built only in the next two weeks, hopefully allowing for some of that to be worked out. Also, that allowed me to add to the order some items not even on the list when I first started to talk about ordering.
I agree. It will be worth it if the additional time means they get it right. Waiting a little to order has worked out well for me too. I made two changes since my original order was placed. My production date is 9/30/02. as for dealer info, my dealer says I find out info before he does!
Old 09-09-2002, 01:53 PM
jhb

That is what my dealer says too. I guess it is just a little "consumer espionage" all in fun, of course. Mystery is fun too. For example, If there was a seer who could predict what will happen to me tomorrow, I wouldn't want to know-takes the fun and mystery out of it!!! But, I would ask that sage if I am to get the wood and leather steering wheel and fold down rear seats on my October delivery E500!!!!