E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E550: Sprintbooster Experiences

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E550 4Matic, '09 S600, '07 CL600
E550: Sprintbooster Experiences

A friend of mine on the area who has a RennTech C32 (AMG-Jerry in the forums) turned me on to a simple modification for any Mercedes-Benz. It's called a Sprintbooster. A sprintbooster is a data cable the sits between your gas pedel and the cars computer.

To install it you basically follow these steps: (10 Minutes Tops)
1. Remove the gas pedal from the floor and pull it out so you can see the wire attached to the gas pedal.
2. Unplug the existing wire from the gas pedal
3. Plub the sprintbooster cable into the gas pedal.
4. Plug existing wire into the other end of the sprintbooster cable.
5. Install the gas pedal.

It's like driving a whole new car. It doesn't add horse-power, it's just removes the adaptation/non-linearity of the pedal range. It's hard to describe, the car basically has no delay when you push the pedal to the floor.

As others have said --- THIS is what I always wanted this car to be.

Check out this thread in the C32 AMG / C55 AMG forum and you will see what others have to say: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=sprinter

Last edited by ddskier; 11-13-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by ddskier
A friend of mine on the area who has a RennTech C32 (AMG-Jerry in the forums) turned me on to a simple modification for any Mercedes-Benz. It's called a Sprintbooster. A sprintbooster is a data cable the sits between your gas pedel and the cars computer.

1. Remove the gas pedal from the floor and pull it out so you can see the wire attached to the gas pedal.

It's like driving a whole new car. It doesn't add horse-power, it's just removes the adaptation/non-linearity of the pedal range. It's hard to describe, the car basically has no delay when you push the pedal to the floor.

As others have said --- THIS is what I always wanted this car to be.

Check out this thread in the C32 AMG / C55 AMG forum and you will see what others have to say: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=sprinter
So,

what about modulating the throttle in traffic? Is it, burnout-brake, burnout-brake, or can you drive this thing without gunning it all the time?
Old 11-13-2006, 03:22 PM

For the first week, it took sometime to get used to. I did jerk it a couple of times at stop lights, and I kind of did a mini-chirp backing out of my garage.

Basically, you need a lighter touch on the pedal... Where as before you pressed your pedal 1/2 down at take off, it only takes 1/4 or less.

The best way to describe it, is when you press the pedal all the way down and the car takes a 1/2 second to figure out what you want. Now that is gone and it responses immediately.

Love it.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 GL350
A good ECU upgrade will improve throttle response and make power......a much better way to go IMO.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by goalie_k
A good ECU upgrade will improve throttle response and make power......a much better way to go IMO.
That might be true, but this is a cheaper alternative that I can take back out of the car as not to void the warrenty.

Last edited by ddskier; 11-13-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:31 PM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by goalie_k
The ECU upgrade will not do what the sprintbooster does. I had my Renntech ECU / Pulley kit installed weeks before I put in the sprintbooster. After the install, it was a different car. My wife still hates driving it because she trips the ESP almost everytime. I, however, have gotten used to it and can drive the car normally.

Passing someone on the freeway is much easier and the throttle response is awesome!

This is by far the best mod I have done to my car hands down. Yes, even better than the ECU, Pulley, Headers, etc.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:37 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
So,

what about modulating the throttle in traffic? Is it, burnout-brake, burnout-brake, or can you drive this thing without gunning it all the time?
I agree with ddskier. My car has more power and is not AWD and I can still drive perfectly when needed. MB should have made this a software option that we could access via the steering wheel controls. I got new car "euphoria" after the install....
Old 11-14-2006, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
I agree with ddskier. My car has more power and is not AWD and I can still drive perfectly when needed. MB should have made this a software option that we could access via the steering wheel controls. I got new car "euphoria" after the install....
Your car does not gain more power with this Sprintbooster thing. It just takes the lag out of DBW throttle.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GOD DAMMIT, you f*ckers!

You guys are gonna make me get one of these stupid things. I know I'm gonna plow into someone when I'm sitting in traffic. I will then come back on here and demand that all of you chip in 50 bucks for the repairs!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
GOD DAMMIT, you f*ckers!

You guys are gonna make me get one of these stupid things. I know I'm gonna plow into someone when I'm sitting in traffic. I will then come back on here and demand that all of you chip in 50 bucks for the repairs!
Benz-O, Do it.. Do it.. Do it.. Worse case you remove it best case you love it and I get to go and buy one... always look up to you for mod's
Old 11-14-2006, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jocon63
Benz-O, Do it.. Do it.. Do it.. Worse case you remove it best case you love it and I get to go and buy one... always look up to you for mod's
Fine!

I'll order it tomorrow. I'm also gonna up my collision insurance and lower my deductible. I have a feeling I'm gonna need to.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
Fine!

I'll order it tomorrow. I'm also gonna up my collision insurance and lower my deductible. I have a feeling I'm gonna need to.
LMAO. Excellent !!!. oh and BTW.. the video on the site that maufactures them has a VW passat chirping and pegging the red line upon take-off. May want to make sure your ESP and SBC is working Let me know how it goes
Old 11-14-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I have no opinion on the utility of such a device but I do have a question. I have driven some early 90's MB and now my own 320 and I have always wondered why they are so difficult to adjust to in the accelerator "feel" Do I understand that it is a wire controlled throttle? If so, why the heavy feel, like it has a massive throttle return spring. If they changed from a mechanical linkage to drive by wire, why retain that " mushy" throttle response. I have a Maxima that has drive by wire throttle and it is very crisp and I would never know it was not a mechanical connection. I have read somewhere in another forum that the ECU can be reset by ignition on and pump the pedal or some kind of mumbo jumbo. It is not a big deal but I have had the car three months and I find it annoying
Old 11-14-2006, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
I have read somewhere in another forum that the ECU can be reset by ignition on and pump the pedal or some kind of mumbo jumbo. It is not a big deal but I have had the car three months and I find it annoying
Yes that is true you can reset the Mercedes computer adaptation to your driving, but that gets to be a pain in the a$$ afer awhile. The spritnbooster stops you from having to do that as it reduces the computer delay from your gas pedal input.

Also it is true that it does not add any horsepower or torque to your vechile, but the improvement to your drive input make it feel like a whole new car.

BTW - They do make the sprintbooster for other non-MB vechiles.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:43 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Your car does not gain more power with this Sprintbooster thing. It just takes the lag out of DBW throttle.
I know the sprintbooster does not give you more power. I was simply stating that my car has more power (435HP with headers) than the E550, yet I can still manage to drive it normally. So, yourself for not reading more carefully.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:47 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Fine!

Benz-O - Take a look in the classifieds section. I saw there were two for sale last week. You will love it!
Old 11-14-2006, 06:55 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
I have no opinion on the utility of such a device but I do have a question. I have driven some early 90's MB and now my own 320 and I have always wondered why they are so difficult to adjust to in the accelerator "feel" Do I understand that it is a wire controlled throttle? If so, why the heavy feel, like it has a massive throttle return spring. If they changed from a mechanical linkage to drive by wire, why retain that " mushy" throttle response. I have a Maxima that has drive by wire throttle and it is very crisp and I would never know it was not a mechanical connection. I have read somewhere in another forum that the ECU can be reset by ignition on and pump the pedal or some kind of mumbo jumbo. It is not a big deal but I have had the car three months and I find it annoying
Well, the Maxima and the E320 are different cars in my mind. The ECU on the MB is more advanced. My mom owned a 320 and it was "peppy" when she first got it. By the time she traded it in, it was non-responsive at city driving speeds. The sprint booster will remove all of those issues. If you have ever driven a BMW with a sport button, it's basically the same thing.

You also need to remember that it adapts to your driving style. If you are stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for 3 hours a day like me, then the car will get used to that. On the upside, if you do a throttle reset and drive with a heavy foot, the car will adapt to that too. Why bother? Get a sprintbooster and be happy.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

DONE!

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

The 2 in the classified section were sold. One guy is selling one on eBay but he wants 240.00 plus 20$ shipping. Ends up being 10.00 more than new from SLKFANS.

Anyway, I'll install it when I get it and promptly post pictures of me putting my car through my garage and into my living room.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
DONE!

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

The 2 in the classified section were sold. One guy is selling one on eBay but he wants 240.00 plus 20$ shipping. Ends up being 10.00 more than new from SLKFANS.

Anyway, I'll install it when I get it and promptly post pictures of me putting my car through my garage and into my living room.
Congrats Clayton....

I dont think you will regret it...and if you do, its only 250 bones.... SInce I have an AMG, i drive my car in C mode. I love it..... let us know what you think.....
Old 11-16-2006, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
This one is free guys!

[QUOTE=ddskier;1839001]A friend of mine on the area who has a RennTech C32 (AMG-Jerry in the forums) turned me on to a simple modification for any Mercedes-Benz. It's called a Sprintbooster. A sprintbooster is a data cable the sits between your gas pedel and the cars computer.

Try this. I did on my 1999 E55 and I think it improves the throttle response.

1) Turn key to position 2 without starting engine.
2) Depress gas pedal to the metal and hold there for 5 seconds.
3) Release pedal and turn off ignition switch.
4) Wait 2 minutes for the computer to reset.
5) Start engine and enjoy.

The mechanic who told me to do this said the procedure re-sets the electronic throttle to wide open mode that goes with sporty driving. If you do a lot of around town driving the throttle learns to go easy and the throttle goes limp.

Its free. Let me know if this works guys.
Old 11-16-2006, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
[QUOTE=harkgar;1844448]
Originally Posted by ddskier

Try this. I did on my 1999 E55 and I think it improves the throttle response.

1) Turn key to position 2 without starting engine.
2) Depress gas pedal to the metal and hold there for 5 seconds.
3) Release pedal and turn off ignition switch.
4) Wait 2 minutes for the computer to reset.
5) Start engine and enjoy.

The mechanic who told me to do this said the procedure re-sets the electronic throttle to wide open mode that goes with sporty driving. If you do a lot of around town driving the throttle learns to go easy and the throttle goes limp.

Its free. Let me know if this works guys.

Yes you are correct that this will make ur throttle response better but the Sprint booster is a whole different animal. For those who do not have it will justify other means of trying to achieve the goal, and for those who do have it will know that its different than an ECU upgrade or ET reset.....
Old 11-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
[QUOTE=x-tian-230k;1844580]
Originally Posted by harkgar

Yes you are correct that this will make ur throttle response better but the Sprint booster is a whole different animal. For those who do not have it will justify other means of trying to achieve the goal, and for those who do have it will know that its different than an ECU upgrade or ET reset.....
this seems to be kinda a hack way to do things... along the lines of lowering via the washer method.

What this does is changes how your throttle adjusts, by bypassing the button which causes your car to go WOT, usually resulting in a downshift of the transmission under normal situations, you make it always assume the button is pressed. While I dont think lowering via the washer method will do permanent damage, I can foresee something burning out either electronically or mechanically.

But hey if your all enjoying em, more power to ya
Old 11-17-2006, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

[QUOTE=55fanatic;1844653]
Originally Posted by x-tian-230k
this seems to be kinda a hack way to do things... along the lines of lowering via the washer method.

What this does is changes how your throttle adjusts, by bypassing the button which causes your car to go WOT, usually resulting in a downshift of the transmission under normal situations, you make it always assume the button is pressed. While I dont think lowering via the washer method will do permanent damage, I can foresee something burning out either electronically or mechanically.

But hey if your all enjoying em, more power to ya

First off pete if you look at the "button" on the gas pedal, its nothing more than a "button". You can actually take the button out. There is no electrical connection. Its just a marker for the gas pedal. If the gas pedal goes past that point, the drive by wire tells the car to go WOT. It really doesnt bybass anything. I dont think this is any thing different than driving agressively, constantly having your gas pedal at 1/2 way down. If our benz'z can't handle that, then there is something wrong, especially with the AMG's. If you come by my crib pete, ill take my SB off and install it into your car. Let you test it for a few days and then get back to me with your response... I am an advocate of trying something out first hand before I knock on a product.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sprintbooster will ship tomorrow. There was a delay in shipping for some reason. Anyway, I should get it sometime next week. I'll post my findings. As far as I know, nobody on here has done this to an E500. I'm sure the entire car will catch fire as soon as I start it up.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:35 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Sprintbooster will ship tomorrow. There was a delay in shipping for some reason. Anyway, I should get it sometime next week. I'll post my findings. As far as I know, nobody on here has done this to an E500. I'm sure the entire car will catch fire as soon as I start it up.
Have fun and keep a fire extinguisher handy.... j/k

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E550: Sprintbooster Experiences