E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 E500 TeleAide Malfunction Message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 05:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
2003 E500 TeleAide Malfunction Message

I didn't renew the TeleAide service for the used 2003 E500 Sedan I bought in Sept 2005 and continued get the display malfunction message which I would have to push the dash reset button when starting the vehicle. Then when I took the vehicle in for service a few months ago, the error message disappeared. Now it's reappeared. The dealer service department told me from the get go that there is no way to stop the malfunction message from appears (it's pretty annoying) but it stopped appearing on my dash display for several months. Anyone have any insight or advice on how to get this thing to stop appearing without renewing the Teleservice?
Old 11-22-2006, 12:57 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
What does the message say? I vaguely recall getting a few Tele Aid-related malfunction messages when I had an active subscription, but since I discontinued Tele Aid in September I haven't gotten any Tele Aid-related messages at all.

Tele Aid will be effectively discontinued for '03 W211s in 2008 (without a digital conversion), when carriers can discontinue analog cellular service, and even now analog coverage tends to be spotty. So, if the dealer is telling you that you'll get that malfunction message in perpetuity, even after analog Tele Aid goes away, that sounds bogus to me. I would check with another dealer.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:46 PM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 / 2001 C240
There is a TSB the dealer should know about to have it turned off. I told my dealer about it and he turned it off. And yes, it was annoying.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 E500 Benz & 2015 BMW M235ix
Originally Posted by DWP
What does the message say? I vaguely recall getting a few Tele Aid-related malfunction messages when I had an active subscription, but since I discontinued Tele Aid in September I haven't gotten any Tele Aid-related messages at all.

Tele Aid will be effectively discontinued for '03 W211s in 2008 (without a digital conversion), when carriers can discontinue analog cellular service, and even now analog coverage tends to be spotty. So, if the dealer is telling you that you'll get that malfunction message in perpetuity, even after analog Tele Aid goes away, that sounds bogus to me. I would check with another dealer.
How did you "discontinue the service"? Did you have to call them and indicate you wanted to cancel or discontinue the service? I didn't do anything specifically since I believe the service was still active on my vehicle when I bought it from the local MB dealer in Sept 05. The error message on my dash display just says "Malfunction - Teleaid - Take to Workshop"
Old 11-22-2006, 06:41 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by mcleantmw
How did you "discontinue the service"? Did you have to call them and indicate you wanted to cancel or discontinue the service?
Yes. They had my credit card number, and so I had to call an 800 number (and cut off their retention pitch) to prevent automatic renewal of the service and automatic charge of my card. If you bought the car used with some part of the previous owner's subscription still in effect, then presumably they didn't have your credit card number and the subscription just lapsed. Perhaps the previous owner cancelled their credit card authorization when they sold the car ...