E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Red malfunction light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red malfunction light

A light got left on inside my E, causing the battery to go dead. A quick jump start got the car started right away. I drove the car for about 30 minutes after that to recharge the battery. I continue to have the center of the speedometer displat a bold red message that states "visit workshop", and shows a red battery graphic. The rest of the car seems fine, but I can't get the red malfunction light to go off, even after several starts. When AAA jumped the car, the technician brought a handheld diagnostic unit that showed no damage to the battery and that the alternator was working fine. The manual says something about a malfunction message "electrical consumers switched off", but this is not the message I get. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Almost a Member!

99 civic EK hatchback
have you brought your car in for the voltage regulator campaign or the battery control unit software flash campaign? if your car doesn't applly to the vin ranges for the campaigns your car might be experiencing a current draw causing your battery to drain. if your car is still under warranty just bring it in your local dealer and have them check it out.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:45 PM

Thanks for the reply. The car was just in for regular servicing last month, and has had all of the updates/campaign stuff done. It was working fine through Christmas day; my wife got something out of it yesterday morning and left a door ajar. I had the day off and never looked at it until this morning, when it was completely dead. Further research of the manual showed the malfunction listed, though it only says to have the battery looked at, no other advice. I'll probably just drive it tomorrow and see if the light goes off after a 30 minute drive to work. If not, I'll call the dealer.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 E550 4Matic, '09 S600, '07 CL600
I believe that the E has two batteries. On in the front and one in the trunk, one is rather small the other is normal sized, I forget which is which.

Perhaps the second battery is dead.

just a thought.