E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Portable Satelite Radio?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350
Portable Satelite Radio?

I bought a portable satelite radio so I can take it with me anywhere I go and it does come with a car kit with it's own satelite antenna. I know the E350 has a satelite antenna on the rear window and I would rather have it hooked up to that than to add an eyesore to the car with the added antenna. Would it be easy to do this myself or would I have to have the dealer do it or can it be done at all? TIA
Old 01-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
you will not be able to integrate the unit you have purchased to your existing sirius hardware installed in your E already.

If you have sirius hardware already in your car, activate it and add on a reciever for $3 more
Old 01-03-2007, 12:15 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
You didn't say which satellite radio you have, but I get good reception with an XM portable and XM microantenna on the rear package shelf, centered where the glass meets the shelf. The microantenna is inconspicuous in that location and I was able to run the wire from it to the front console area with very little visible. A Sirius car antenna might not work inside so well; people seem to have more trouble with Sirius reception than I do with XM.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW FTW
Dont even waste your time trying to get the MB antenna to work. I have an inno and on my BMW I put the antenna behind the rear passenger seats and never had trouble with reception. Its very easy to run the wire down the side of the seat then under the trim below the doors and up to the front.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:39 PM

2008 E350
Sorry, I have Sirius. So there is no way I can have it hooked up to the car's satalite antenna instead? I thought the satilite antenna had to be locating outside of the car? It would still work installed in the interior of the car? TIA
Old 01-04-2007, 05:31 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
A (Pioneer) Inno is an XM portable radio. You can try putting the antenna from the Sirius car kit inside on the rear package shelf and see how it goes. Based on what others have reported in previous threads, though, you're not likely to get good solid Sirius reception with the antenna located inside. Some people don't get good solid Sirius reception with the antenna located outside. It's not necessarily a matter of better satellites; it could have to do with the ground repeater networks that XM and Sirius have in some areas.