E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Comand MFD/Unlock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Comand MFD/Unlock

I just installed a Euro Comand, Its great.
I'm going to try to install the nav system on my non pre-wired for nav car.
I wish Steve would come to Chicago...It's a great town

I can't access the engineering menu to enable dvd, and change the dvd region, mp3.
I've got the "unlock guide" - I've attached it so hopefully no one gives me those same options.

Engineering Mode
To enter the engineering Mode do the following:
1) Turn the ignition to on (Note : it works with the car started as well)
2) With the radio playing (Note: it works with other things like DVD playing) press :
a. Press and hold these buttons in this order
Mute – Service – End Call all together and hold for 5 secs (ish)
b. Sometimes this doesn’t work, so simply try again, not sure why it doesn’t
always work, maybe its the order I press them in?
You should get the following:
Note : If the key combinations above do not bring you to the engineers menu one of the
following may work on your vehicle:
• MUTE + 3 + 4 +5
• Phone Down + 1 + 3 + 6
• 1+6+4+3
• mute + phone down + serv
• mute + 3 +4 +6
• mute+357

When i try to do some of the unlock codes in the guide I just hear a beep(I think its the Comand setting a radio preset b/c I'm holding down some numerical buttons)

Also, with my old unit the MFD display(I believe its the display in the steering wheel area-which is what i'm talking about) would turn off as I took the car out of the key.
Now it stays on displaying the temperature, how can i get it to shutoff with the car?

Any help would be great - and thanks to those who led me away from the aftermarket catastrophe.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Mute – Service – End Call worked for me, keep on trying. I read on this forum that 2006 and newer units have had the feature changed, so check if you have one of those units if you cannot get into the menu. How to check? Beats me, but someone here is bound to know. Good luck and enjoy the new COMAND, it is light years ahead of the Audio50.

Cheers

Edward
Old 01-27-2007, 03:01 PM

E500
I'll keep trying the mute+end call+serv button, so far nada.
All it does is take me to the serv menu, which is a address book

my serv button is the third down from the 2nd column to the left
my end call button is a pic of a phone horizontally laying down
my mute button is a speaker photo with a slash across it.
If i'm wrong about any of those, please inform me of my stupidity.

Do i need to be on a specific screen(i.e. nav/tel)?
So close, yet so far.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:56 PM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
Originally Posted by smb7420
I'll keep trying the mute+end call+serv button, so far nada.
All it does is take me to the serv menu, which is a address book

my serv button is the third down from the 2nd column to the left
my end call button is a pic of a phone horizontally laying down
my mute button is a speaker photo with a slash across it.
If i'm wrong about any of those, please inform me of my stupidity.

Do i need to be on a specific screen(i.e. nav/tel)?
So close, yet so far.
Which model do you have? If you purchased your EURO from ebay recently (the guy from lithuania), he is only selling newer 2006 EURO COMANDS which there aren't any known keys to get in to the mode you want at this time. The only way in is via STAR and have your COMAND version coded. You should still be able to play MP3's and watch DVD while parked (make sure your car is started and the e-brake is on). If you find out the codes some how, please let us know.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'01 C320 || '14 Honda Pilot EX-L
....I wish Steve would come to Chicago...It's a great town
Keep your eyes open on the forum as Steve has been to Chicago. I know he hates our winters though. He has installed many things for me.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:52 PM

E500
dvd does work in park or at slow, i tried putting a mp3 cd in, it gave me a dvd error.

I need those damn unlock codes, i don't know how to identify the 06 Comands, i do have my comand's part #, that should help....right?
A 211 870 47 89 001

If I were to take it to the dealer, where is the star computer going to be hooked up? Will the service person even alter my comand to play MP3s and DVD In motion; it seems they'd have a legal obligation to not allow the latter to work.
What exactly does version coding mean? What should I tell the service guy to do to my Comand?
If anyone can give me a solution other than take it to the dealer, i'd be forever grateful.

Thanks

Last edited by smb7420; 01-28-2007 at 04:33 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:21 PM

E500
I'm rather sure my comand is a 04 make, is there any specific screen i need to be on when putting the codes in?

Also, what should I ask the dealer to do in order to "version code" it or make it play in motion or allow me into the engineering menu?
Old 01-28-2007, 03:54 PM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
I'm rather sure my comand is a 04 make, is there any specific screen i need to be on when putting the codes in?

Also, what should I ask the dealer to do in order to "version code" it or make it play in motion or allow me into the engineering menu?
Your dealer won't do it for you.. it's a liability issue.. that's why they don't allow it on while driving.

Try this:

Press MUTE and hold... then press END CALL (next to the eject button) and hold that as well while still holding MUTE... then press SERV and hold all 3 for about 45 seconds and see if it works. Do these codes while in AUDIO mode. Let me know if that works.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:03 PM

E500
its not working, i tried it with the car ignition on(engine not actual on)
I'll try it after starting up the car later, one of the button combinations causes the DVD video logo to appear but then switches back to the audio screen.
After holding the right buttons down(whatever they are) the engineering menu should just pop up?
Damn this sucks. Really, really bad.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:47 PM

E500
Question

after reading over many comand posts it seems I need a comand 2.0, not sure if mine is or needs a SW upgrade to get there.
If i go to the dealer and tell them to upgrade the Comand software to the latest one, will I never be able to have DVD in motion as it will change the engineering menu codes to one that is likely more unknown than the codes currently needed to access my engineering mode

I'm able to change keypad and model configuration on my comand using the 5-3-7 trick.
I was wondering if i changed the keypad to developer mode or variant specific it might allow me to do the mute end serv engineering mode enabler??

It's 15 degrees out in chicago and i'm sitting my car trying to get this thing to work- as you can imagine i'm desperate, and this my 3rd outing in the car trying to get it to work, my fingers are so cold...anyone that can help me in chicago or through the internet, will have my eternal gratitude.

Thanks for all the help john doe...IF that is your real name.

Last edited by smb7420; 01-28-2007 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:08 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
after reading over many comand posts it seems I need a comand 2.0, not sure if mine is or needs a SW upgrade to get there.
If i go to the dealer and tell them to upgrade the Comand software to the latest one, will I never be able to have DVD in motion as it will change the engineering menu codes to one that is likely more unknown than the codes currently needed to access my engineering mode

I'm able to change keypad and model configuration on my comand using the 5-3-7 trick.
I was wondering if i changed the keypad to developer mode or variant specific it might allow me to do the mute end serv engineering mode enabler??

It's 15 degrees out in chicago and i'm sitting my car trying to get this thing to work- as you can imagine i'm desperate, and this my 3rd outing in the car trying to get it to work, my fingers are so cold...anyone that can help me in chicago or through the internet, will have my eternal gratitude.

Thanks for all the help john doe...IF that is your real name.
If you've been tampering with the 5,3-7 trick, then you may have inadvertantly changed your [keyboard] setting; set it back to [w211ECE], [w211US] or [VARIANT SPECIFIC] AND make sure that your [model] correlates to your [keyboard] selection.

Once you've done that, move away from the car for about 5 minutes, come back, and try to access the [ENGINEERING MENU] again.

(I always set my [AUDIO] to [AUX] when I'm tinkering around with these things, but for [MUTE] - [END] - [SERV] it's not necessary.)

GL.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 AM

E500
Unhappy

I can't get it to work,
I hold down the mute button for about 2 secs, then I hold the end call button for about 2 seconds, finally I hold the serv button down as I continue to hold the other two.

It takes me to the serv screen(address book and system tabs) and if I hit any other button it'll take me to another menu, so it recognizes many buttons...
It beeped the last time I held it, maybe that's progress or maybe I'm nuts.what normally happens on a successful attempt? A new menu screen takes over?
I have a feeling I'm doing something dumb and that's why it won't work..I'm so damn close
Old 01-29-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
i don't know how to identify the 06 Comands, i do have my comand's part #, that should help....right?
A 211 870 47 89 001
I believe that the month/year of manufacture is identified on the "part #" sticker.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:39 PM

MY MB WAS LEMON'D
Originally Posted by murman
I believe that the month/year of manufacture is identified on the "part #" sticker.
Even if you have an "older" COMAND, it doesn't mean you can access it. If your car has been to the dealer lately, or even a while back, they could have updated the software on the car.......which would make your COMAND be like the newer ones where the codes are disabled.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:40 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
I can't get it to work,
I hold down the mute button for about 2 secs, then I hold the end call button for about 2 seconds, finally I hold the serv button down as I continue to hold the other two.

It takes me to the serv screen(address book and system tabs) and if I hit any other button it'll take me to another menu, so it recognizes many buttons...
It beeped the last time I held it, maybe that's progress or maybe I'm nuts.what normally happens on a successful attempt? A new menu screen takes over?
I have a feeling I'm doing something dumb and that's why it won't work..I'm so damn close
2 seconds?.. too much lag.

Try pressing all the buttons simultaneously. If you happen to press one slightly ahead of the others it won't make much of a difference, but, if it does happen, then try to keep the sequence: [MUTE] + [END] + [SERV].

Again, GL.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:34 PM

E500
My car hasn't been to the dealer lately(as I just added my euro comand about a week ago).
Thanks to people who are helping and actually reading my long posts

I need some Star diagnostic computer in order to alter the Comand settings w/o the engineering code? I know some mechanics that have those(often red colored) rectangle computers that hook up to the OBC and read malfunction codes, maybe that could help?
Most aftermarket systems are tricked by making it think the e-brake is on to play DVDs in Motion, should I get someone to try that on my car or will it make the electronic system go nutty?

When I reset my comand using the reset tab in one of the screens it clears all info and goes into dutch, I believe. Maybe that will help identify my model...

I don't know if my comand plays DVD Mp3s or CD Mp3s for that matter...but some store bought cds have their track title and cd title listed when I play (Which is awesome).
Are Comands set to allow Mp3 Playback or is it another engineering menu goodie?

Does anyone know how to make the track titles scroll in the Comand? Some songs I listen to have multiple artists and it cuts off at the Feat. (artist #1, etc.)
Old 01-30-2007, 12:26 AM

E500
IT MAKES NO SENSE

My Comand works with the NAV+5 Button trick; and I don't even have a Nav drive installed yet!
It also works with the 5-3-7 trick.

How can it possibly not work with the MUTE-END-Serv trick?
All I know is when i try to do it as you guys suggest the menu goes from Audio to SERV I think that's what is preventing it from being normal
argh.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Man I feel real bad for you, it SHOULD work, I just picked up my car from the dealer and my DVD is still playing AND my NAV does not show up on the MFD, so I know they did not mess with it, as they should, I never requested it.

Anyway, the 2 sec thing is too long as Miguk stated previously, for me to works by doing it one right after the other, boom-boom-boom, so don't wait that long, and keep them pressed for a while (mine takes about 5-10 seconds, but I've read that it takes 45 secs). Hope this helps. Have you been in contact with Steve? Try posting in the Audio forum to see if you get some other ideas. Now it's a challenge to get you all set up....

Cheers.

Edward
Old 01-30-2007, 12:43 AM

E500
your boom-boom-boom technique...
if you were on the audio screen, after you press the 3rd key or serv key, does it go straight to the serv menu screen or to the engineering menu?
or does it go to the serv menu and then the engineering menu pops up in the serv menu?

Do I need the MFD in a specific screen? The transmission needs to be in any specific P,R,N,D?
Old 11-10-2021, 11:29 AM

CLS320 (w219)
I can't get it to work,

I know it has been a LOT of time since you asked but I just got this CLS320 and I was having the same issue.

So... to get into engineering mode:

SERV - system - Language and when the list of countries appear, press the upper left arrow and then the AUDIO key for about 5 seconds (or a bit more, maybe).

You will get to engineerinh mode.
Cheers.