E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

06 E320 CDI-Gas tank sloshing noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 E320 CDI-Gas tank sloshing noise

I have had this car for a couple of months and there is a significant sloshing sound heard in the cabin from the diesel tank. When I come to a stop, there is a loud thumping sound in the cabin from the diesel fuel slamming forward in the tank...particularly when full. I took it to the dealer, they were unaware of that issue and how to correct it. They called Mercedes tech support. According to Mercedes, that sloshing is normal in the diesels. ..I was told the diesel has a different baffle system than a gas model. Anyone else have that issue with their CDI or any E Class for that matter? If it is in fact normal, I am surprised that it never has been mentioned as an annoyance. Thanks for your input...
Old 01-31-2007, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 178 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Never notice it.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:37 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Originally Posted by dtrubs
I have had this car for a couple of months and there is a significant sloshing sound heard in the cabin from the diesel tank. When I come to a stop, there is a loud thumping sound in the cabin from the diesel fuel slamming forward in the tank...particularly when full. I took it to the dealer, they were unaware of that issue and how to correct it. They called Mercedes tech support. According to Mercedes, that sloshing is normal in the diesels. ..I was told the diesel has a different baffle system than a gas model. Anyone else have that issue with their CDI or any E Class for that matter? If it is in fact normal, I am surprised that it never has been mentioned as an annoyance. Thanks for your input...
I don't think the dealer's explanation makes any sense. Why would MB make the diesel tank noisier and differtly from normal gas tank. The way you described it, it is very annoying indeed. Why would MB make it this way? More than likely your tank may be defective. No CDI owner has reported this before.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 258 Likes on 164 Posts
I'm very sensitive to cabin noises, and have never heard any "sloshing" in my 2006 CDI...
Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its big and Grey!
good over here, and never heard of anyone have that problem before
Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
17 E300, 17 C300, 14 C250
In my 1999 E320, the sloshing sound was caused by water trapped in the rocker panel below the doors. The drains had plugged up and trapped the water. A piece of wire cleared out the drain and problem went away.

Lou
Old 11-19-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI
Originally Posted by dtrubs
I think I have that and it is pretty loud when i filled up the tank nearly full. did you get it resolved yet? loose bolts? It happens when I press on the brake and release quickly. Maybe weight of diesel has to do with it. Noise like that are really hard to diagnose and easily can take your wallet for a drain. Sad!!