Modified Tail Light Pictures.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daily - CL600
Arrow Modified Tail Light Pictures.

Hey guys,

I would like to see some pictures of w211's with aftermarket or customized O.E.M. tail lights.

I don’t get on this forum very much, but, I was browsing O.T. the other day when this thread happened to catch my eye:

https://mbworld.org/forums/off-topic/179270-full-chrome-renntech-sl600.html

Obviously the car featured in that auction is not a W211, but, seeing its distinctive tail lights made me think about the possibility of modifying my own vehicle in a similar fashion:

Towards this end, I have been reading up on the alterations that were preformed on that SL. I am almost certain those are just a set of standard factory tails that have been sprayed with a light coating of paint to better blend in with the rest of the car. Unfortunately however, despite extensive research, I was unable to discover the exact process through which RENNtech was able to achieve this effect.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll find out all the details eventually... I am really just curious to see what, if any, alterations people have made to the tail lights on their E-Classes.

Thus, if you have any pictures of modified w211's I would truly appreciate it if you would be so good as to take a minute & post them.

Thanks so much.

Regards,
Tom

P.S. Here is a pic of a stock set just to get things started:

Old 02-08-2007, 01:08 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Someone a while back posted some blacked out ones for the W211which looked awful IMO. Get yourself the LED tailights.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
These the aweful ones?

https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1168930460
Old 02-08-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
Originally Posted by jangy

HOTT.

Does anyone have any pics of tinted tail on silver? Preferably with the centers left clear.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
Originally Posted by W Cole
HOTT.

Does anyone have any pics of tinted tail on silver? Preferably with the centers left clear.
Ask and you shall receive... https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....75&postcount=1

Just don't use the brand he used though, either go for Niteshade or ask Jangy what his secret is (he may have to kill you though).
Old 02-08-2007, 04:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
makes your daughter horny
Perfect, thanks!

FYI I have tried pretty much all of the tint sprays and the shiniest one I have found is made by Pactra for tinting the inside of lexan R/C car windows.

The only downside to this tint spray is all the clear coats I tried had an adverse reaction with the tint spray (the clear would melt the underlying tint spray). However if you wetsand/polish it looks shiny - no need for clearcoat.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Banned

I have been tinting tails for about 5 years or so. I spray them with Dupont paint specially mixed to make the lights transparent. the number of coats determines the shade: one coat for light, two for medium and three for dark...The lights are than clearcoated and baked in the booth...
The end result is a mirror like shine better than the paint on your car
Old 02-23-2007, 01:11 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by zen garage
I have been tinting tails for about 5 years or so. I spray them with Dupont paint specially mixed to make the lights transparent. the number of coats determines the shade: one coat for light, two for medium and three for dark...The lights are than clearcoated and baked in the booth...
The end result is a mirror like shine better than the paint on your car
This is how mine was done. The cost is about $250. Make sure you use a good shop as the up close finish is critical.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:37 PM

Daily - CL600
Hey guys,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been pretty busy with school this semester & haven't had much time to think about modifying my car the past few weeks. Thank god I am off on spring break right now. :-)

Endeavouring as always to use my free time in the most productive manner possible (lol), I was messing around with PS earlier and thought I'd see how my car would look with those chrome SL tails on it just for fun:

Yeah... I wasn't really feeling that either. So... I started playing around with filters & came up with this:

I think that looks pretty hot. What do you guys think?

I just have to find a shop with the paint skills to execute it for me. (Any suggestions?) I don't really care how much it costs or where the place is located - I can mail them wherever. (I'll just buy another set to use while these are being painted.)

I wish I could have gotten Renntech do it themselves, but, I emailed their consumer sales manager a few weeks ago & never heard anything back. I guess they are not interested. Whatever.

Anyway, I hope you are all having magnificent week-ends. :-)

Later,
Tom

P.S. Here's a bonus pic of a chrome w211 for your viewing pleasure:

Old 03-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Originally Posted by Tom Sederburg
I love the color of your car. Except, I don't think it will look good w/ that tail-light. They actually make your car looks dirty. ( Maybe Silver color car can pull that off )

I could be wrong, but if you want to be unique (specially, W211's tail looks so much like C-Class from distance) you can add chrome exhaust tip? LED Tail light? or even those "S-Class" tail light off ebay?
Old 03-10-2007, 03:33 PM

Daily - CL600
Hey thanks. It seems to be a fairly rare colour. I've only ever seen one other E500 like it. (Down in Miami a few months ago.)

Regarding the tail lights, the only other thing I am thinking of doing is replacing them with a set of new style ones:

Having my current tails painted is as good an excuse as any to check them out... I suppose. I expect there will undoubtedly be numerous compatibility issues, but I can suffer through a few weeks of bulb error messages. (Been there done that, actually.)

With regards to your other suggestions, while I do desire for my car to stand out, I am not a big fan of L.E.D. tail lights & chrome exhaust tips. I do like the S-class style tail lights, however, W220's have been around so long I think installing them could have the unfortunate side effect of making my car look older than its years.

Still, something to consider.

Thanks for your input. :-)

Best regards,
Tom