E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Has Anyone Tried Adding a Second Rear Foglight?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S550, E320 Sport Wagon and A170CDI :)
Originally Posted by Mad Dawg 350
How??
guys, try disconnecting both rear tail lights and then brake - your left rear fog light become stop light and on the right side you will see the second same light as a spare stop light - in my wagon it does work...

I found it while I was installing parktronic....

I've never seen the spare brake lights before.....

rgr
hubi
Old 04-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Hubi, it's a software setting to enable it! What your're explaining might be the emergency setting which our cars have as a software setting as well.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mackhack
Hubi, it's a software setting to enable it! What your're explaining might be the emergency setting which our cars have as a software setting as well.
yeah I know, but I thought taht some of us don't know this feature, which is I think unique in cars....

Hubi
Old 04-10-2011, 12:03 PM

2008 E350 4Matic
this thread finally motivated me to figure out how to turn on my fog lights! wah hooo...
Old 04-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by justinrhenry
this thread finally motivated me to figure out how to turn on my fog lights! wah hooo...
Did you follow hubi's way?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:07 PM

2008 E350 4Matic
Did you follow hubi's way?
i just mean turn them on in general... who knew you had to pull the knob out???
Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

LOL. The knob only turns on one rear fog light. If you want to have both you need to enable this. It's a software feature. Has nothing to do with the knob itself.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:33 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by Hubi
Please tell us about the Parktronic installation in your wagon. When I bought ours, the dealer was about to retrofit Parktronic, which was never available as a factory option on US wagons, but then the mechanic noticed that there wasn't enough clearance for the sensors. Luckily, he noticed this before he drilled the holes.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Oggie (on L.I.)
Please tell us about the Parktronic installation in your wagon. When I bought ours, the dealer was about to retrofit Parktronic, which was never available as a factory option on US wagons, but then the mechanic noticed that there wasn't enough clearance for the sensors. Luckily, he noticed this before he drilled the holes.
I bought the 8 sensor system on ebay with a small display. 4 forr front and 4 for rear, the installation took me a few hours since I you have to remove the front bumper and install sensors very well. As for the rear, you don't have to remove the bumper - its accesable from the bottom. I have put the control unit next to the phone box - in the trunk - between the rear seats and the spare wheel.
Front is connected to the stop light and rear to the backup lights.
I have some pics and will upload once I found them....
Hubi
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
95 C36
Originally Posted by Hubi
guys, try disconnecting both rear tail lights and then brake - your left rear fog light become stop light and on the right side you will see the second same light as a spare stop light - in my wagon it does work...

I've never seen the spare brake lights before.....

rgr
hubi
A bit confused, so disconnecting both rear tails will result in the rear fogs (lower portion of the taillight) becoming the brake lights? When pulling the knob all the way out to turn on the rear fogs, do both left and right lamps light up? Will reconnecting both taillights go back to its normal function or will both sides now light up when turning on the rear fogs?

I almost never use the rear fogs unless the weather is bad, however I admit I do use it when I have an idiot tailgater behind me. Would like to have both sides light up without giving up my LED brake lights....

Thanks
Old 04-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by FCSmthree
A bit confused, so disconnecting both rear tails will result in the rear fogs (lower portion of the taillight) becoming the brake lights? When pulling the knob all the way out to turn on the rear fogs, do both left and right lamps light up? Will reconnecting both taillights go back to its normal function or will both sides now light up when turning on the rear fogs?

I almost never use the rear fogs unless the weather is bad, however I admit I do use it when I have an idiot tailgater behind me. Would like to have both sides light up without giving up my LED brake lights....

Thanks
Yes, the fog light become the stop light - in normal situation you have only one rear fog light - on driver side. It might be changed to have both working but I dont know how to do it without the computer connected to the car.

When you disconnect the stop light (or it will burn out) the rear left fog light become the stop light and the additional, on the right side, starts working as well. After connecting the stop light back, everything is coming to the previous working condition.

that's what I found by accident actually....
hubi
Old 04-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Banned

I wouldn't follow Hubi's trick to turn on both fog lights. What logic is behind your idea Hubi? Why would you disconnect an important light? Perhaps you even get errors stored for that. Your car throws errors when a blinker goes bad not to think about the stop light

If you want both fog lights turned on you might wanna consider doing it the right way.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:05 PM

I wouldn't follow Hubi's trick to turn on both fog lights. What logic is behind your idea Hubi? Why would you disconnect an important light? Perhaps you even get errors stored for that. Your car throws errors when a blinker goes bad not to think about the stop light

If you want both fog lights turned on you might wanna consider doing it the right way.
Mackhack! I am not saying that you should disconnect the stop light! this is just for the information, not to follow it...

It was only to show you guys that if you loose the stop light - you'll be safe with the fog lights becoming the stop light...nothing more...

Hubi
Old 04-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned

But the topic is about the second rear fog light. All of our cars have 2 fog lights. It's just a matter of if it's enabled to turn both on or only one. I have turned on both on my and many other cars.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:42 AM

2006 E500 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by justinrhenry
i just mean turn them on in general... who knew you had to pull the knob out???
RTFM.
Old 04-27-2019, 11:17 AM

W211 cdi
But the topic is about the second rear fog light. All of our cars have 2 fog lights. It's just a matter of if it's enabled to turn both on or only one. I have turned on both on my and many other cars.
How to turn both rears on, is it a dealer fix
Old 04-27-2019, 11:36 AM
Banned

Dealers cannot do this.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 168 Likes on 120 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic; 2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
The intent of one light, driver side (left hand drive cars, US for example) was based on the principle of drive right, pass left. A concept long lost and even disappearing in Germany. As you would be always driving in the as far right lane as possible, the left or driver side only rear fog light being lit is all that you would need. It's indicating the left side of the car - the side you should be passing on.

I'd be curious to why this was deviated from, and both sides lit.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kjb55
The intent of one light, driver side (left hand drive cars, US for example) was based on the principle of drive right, pass left. A concept long lost and even disappearing in Germany. As you would be always driving in the as far right lane as possible, the left or driver side only rear fog light being lit is all that you would need. It's indicating the left side of the car - the side you should be passing on.

I'd be curious to why this was deviated from, and both sides lit.
Couldn’t have said it better. Thank you.

I like symmetrical and that’s one reason why I did it. CA drivers are amongst the most aggressive, most uneducated and most egoistic drivers in the world and I like to have as much red on my tail as I possibly can to show a maniac behind me flying through thick fog that I’m right there. That’s my personal opinion and reason why I enabled both fog lights on all of my cars.
The following users liked this post:
kjb55 (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 03:08 AM

W211 cdi
Dealers cannot do this.
So how exactly do I get the other rear fog to light up please
Old 12-13-2020, 09:18 AM

W211
Originally Posted by Holman
So how exactly do I get the other rear fog to light up please
Did anyone answer this importnat existential question?