E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Aftermarket Nav: What to Get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
Question Aftermarket Nav: What to Get?

Well I haven't gotten started on installing my Nav system, haven't been able to check my trunk to see if I'm pre-wired due to the fantastic weather we've had in Chicago for the past 2 weeks or so.

Anyhow, my Pops needs a portable Nav system.
He saw some at best buy and said he doesn't like those "little ****ty ones" for $400.

All the advice I've gotten from MBworld (car related) has been extremely good so I decided to throw this very broad question out there:
What Brand/Model Portable Nav system should I get?
Where should I buy it from?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:23 PM

'05 C55 AMG
i've heard some good things about the garmin nuvi series. the higher end models have larger brighter screens which work well even with glare, hard drive with all maps preloaded (unlike some which require you to load the relevant maps onto a sd card), and voice instructions which say the road names to turn on. instead of "turn left 200 feet" it would be "turn left on oak street, 200 feet ahead" or something like that. also, i thought it was cool that you could use the nuvi as a handheld map while walking to navigate city streets.

anyways, check www.cnet.com for reviews of navigation systems.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
I own a Nuvi I use it in my 500E and used in a 2003 X5 4.4. In terms of ease of use it is much better than those in my 2007 GL and 2006 E500. Accuracy is at least as good but verbal directions not quite as clear as OEM. The Nuvi is great to take on trips and even has a walking mode which I recently used extensively in San Francisco - it worked great. My Nuvi has always worked fine sitting in the center console, I rarely mount it on the dash. My friend recently bought one with a larger screen I think its 4 5/8 vs 3 5/8 (but not sure), maps are more legible I'd go for that one.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:50 PM

E500
thanks for the input guys

I'm sure my Pops is interested in ones with a big/wide screen as opposed to the 3-400 dollar ones at B-Buy that seem to have a 2 or 3" screen.
How much are we looking to pay for at a Garmin? Apparently Nuvi is the way to go...

I forgot to mention, my father is an extremely busy person and is constantly on the go with business...are there things that'll synchronize with his phone? maybe an address book download or something positive/constructive for a business/real-estate guy?
My pops is not good with gadgetry...I'm gonna try and setup his laptop and phone and nav system into a sort of synchronized/informative easy access type of thing... Hell he even called me from Arizona today asking how to get onto wireless networks with his laptop
Old 02-14-2007, 05:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Another vote for Nuvi.
I have been through several brand including TomTom, Magellan and MIO, and for the most user friendly UI, you gotta get Garmin.

HOWEVER, I am only using C330. Reason been, single charge can last more than 6 hours continuesly. ( I replace it w/ higher grade 2400mAh battery and it last around 10 hours) I DO NOT LIKE the power cord hanging over my center console. The downside of C-series is not enough verbal warning.
When you have lead-foot, staring at the gps is NOT the way to drive.

TomTom one, MIO C310x, you will be lucky if you can get more than 100 min off single charge.

Garmin using Navteq which is better than TelAtlas in the U.S. ( also it is not build on WinCE base, such as Tomtom, Mio, that tends to FREEZE once a while)

Nuvi series has better SiRF III chipset, actually more responsive than C-series.

so....... Clearly NUVI is better choice.
Nuvi 350/360 able to pack 1200mAh battery in that little device, last around 150min per single charge. (most of compact device like tomtom one only got 800mAh) If I can find a higher grade replacement battery for Nuvi, I will definitely change.

p.s. battery life I quoted is base on real life experience NOT from manufacture.

Check shopzilla.com, you should able to get a Nuvi 350 for low 400 shipped.

Last edited by no_clue; 02-14-2007 at 05:32 PM.