E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

**retrofit Hid Damage?**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2007 | 07:05 AM

MY04 w211 E500
**retrofit Hid Damage?**

hi..

anyone able to comment on voltage spikes and HIDs?
it's a fact that when hids start up, they require a massive amount of voltage which overtime will fry the factory wiring.

does anyone know if non-hid mercs have the same guage wiring as factory fitted hid models?

has anyone run a bypass to power right from the battery instead when installing an aftermarket kit?

thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2007 | 07:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
FACT: HID uses less power than Halogen. It does however run at low current and 50,000V.

Aftermarket kits are evil. Use original parts.
Old 02-15-2007 | 07:49 AM

MY04 w211 E500
how can the kits be any different?
a ballast is just a ballast isnt it?
not sure what the hella factory specs are but whats the difference?
Old 02-15-2007 | 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by misguided_will
how can the kits be any different?
a ballast is just a ballast isnt it?
not sure what the hella factory specs are but whats the difference?
The mounting frame and the internal wiring. The 50,000V side has to be the highest quality and that is impossible unless the internals are made for that car from scratch.
Old 02-16-2007 | 12:31 AM

'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
"it's a fact that when hids start up, they require a massive amount of voltage which overtime will fry the factory wiring."

This sounds like it's purely urban myth:

First, the available voltage in a circuit of any kind is determined by the power supply, nominally 13.8v in a "12v" car. No device downstream from the power supply can create a "voltage spike", and the HIDs can never receive any greater voltage than is available at the battery/alternator, i.e.,13.8v.

Now you may have mistakenly said "voltage" instead of "current", which theoretically could be the case - Except that HIDs consume less power than Halogens. No doubt there's a brief current surge at startup, but if it's not enough to open fuses/circuit breakers that protect the circuit, it's virtually impossible that it could damage the factory wiring over time.

Years ago, I foolishly installed 100W high beam bulbs in my VW. After a couple of weeks of being puzzled by the low light output, I measured the voltage at the bulbs. It was 11.1v. The factory wiring was too small to support the amperage draw of the big bulbs, so I had to go to a relay system with heavier-gauge wire for the lights to work properly. But even this abuse did no damage to the original wiring.

Good luck.