E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2003 Navigation Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500
I asked my local dealer, Loeber Motors how much it'd cost to install the brackets in my trunk and program the navi with STAR
$115 for the star program
$65 for the bracket install (I've got all the parts needed for the install - just the labor charge I suppose)

Is this how much I should expect to be paying for a simple STAR hookup and bracket install

Last edited by smb7420; 03-10-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Anytime they hook up STAR to your car it will be $100 or so, UNLESS.... you have a "buddy" that can hook you up at the dealer. The only reason you need to program the unit would be for the MFD prompts, so its an option. The bracket is a do-it-yourself installation, if you have come this far, you can do it. $65 to the dealer is like a 10-15 minute job, so that should say something about how easy it is to install.

Good luck and glad you got it working.

Edward
Old 03-11-2007, 11:48 AM

E500
I'm a bit confused as to whether or not my GPS is attached to the navi.
When I hit map or "enter destination - current location" a black screen shows up with my location indicator.
The satelitte logo at the bottom doesn't show any # or bars connected...

How can I attach GPS? My teleaid isn't active, so I'd be able to re-route it, right?
Old 03-11-2007, 02:31 PM

2007 A8L 4.2
The bars are for the phone, so if you do not have the phone, those are always gonna be off.

The satallite logo at the bottom of the map (you may have to activate the feature on the options list) must show at least 3-4 satellites in order to be working, also, it will give you the lat and long coordenates of your location, so if you are getting a blank next to the satellite logo it means that the unit is not receiving a signal. You cannot be under anything for it to get a signal, the antenna must have a clear shot upwards. Some have reported that it takes the nav unit a while to pick up a signal the first time it is installed. It took mine about 30 minutes of driving. Afterwards I got 9-12 satellites, so my reception is very good.

The nav works independent of your TeleAid, so it has nothing to do with it, except that they share some components. Make sure the antenna is functional, I had problems with mine and bought one off ebay to test and it was working, so I had the antenna fixed (a ground wire was torn). Now it works fine, but I have the extra antenna in the car just in case the built-in one acts up and I am in the middle of nowhere. Hope this helps.

Edward
Old 03-11-2007, 02:35 PM

E500
Of the bundle of wires in the trunk, I used the blue tipped one to put in the navi drive.

I'm thinking I may have to split the GPS from the Teleaid to the nav drive, but am not sure what to do. I don't use Teleaid; how do I accurately connect the GPS to the drive?
Is simply placing the blue plug from the tied bunch that had the MOST and electrical power cord into the back of the navi drive fine?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:50 PM

2007 A8L 4.2
Originally Posted by smb7420
Of the bundle of wires in the trunk, I used the blue tipped one to put in the navi drive.

I'm thinking I may have to split the GPS from the Teleaid to the nav drive, but am not sure what to do. I don't use Teleaid; how do I accurately connect the GPS to the drive?
Is simply placing the blue plug from the tied bunch that had the MOST and electrical power cord into the back of the navi drive fine?
The blue tipped one with the black wire is the antenna (look at my previous pics). You need the splitter, which you said you have, so that is all. I mentioned before that you do not need to go any further than that, do not go into any other wires feeding either the SAM or the gateway. This really is a simple install, only 3 plugs (including the antenna) and the splitter, that is all.

You mention the GPS which means Global Positioning System, it is a term used for navigation units, so I dont think you are refering to the correct unit/module by calling it GPS.

Forget about the TeleAid, it has nothing to do with this installation. If you get info from the Navi on the screen and any sort of map, but no satellites show, then most likely you have a bad antenna or antenna connection.

Edward
Old 03-12-2007, 02:25 PM

E500
I don't have the GPS antenna splitter.
I've got a MOST cable which I thought I'd need for the install - Now for Sale!!!
I'll let the cable, in OEM box, go for 60% the asking price of any other invoice.

I thought I'd be able to disconnect the GPS going to the Teleaid and route it to the NAV system. The teleaid is not connected and the MFD says it's defective - probably due to the analog antenna.

I do, however have a seperate antenna, likely similar to yours.
It has the same blue input at one end of the black wire, on the other is a square - magnetic black receiver piece.
Anyway I can mount it to the NAV and the outside of the car to see if the NAV will operate w/ the satelites?
Old 03-12-2007, 04:39 PM

2007 A8L 4.2
You NEED the splitter, otherwise you will get the error from the TeleAid, or you can plug the TA antenna cable back to the single connector and then to the car's antenna, and use the external antenna you purchased for the Nav DVD unit. Once you have the antenna in place (outside the car) you should be able to get satellites.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:31 AM

E500
Hi, i just wondering how to remove the fiber optic cable that is connected i try to install the navi for my 2003 e500. i found out all the cable i need to rewire but i'm so scare to break the cable and the adapter which is already connected. Do i need speical tools or just pull it out and put the other cable? Thx for everybody help .
Old 08-12-2007, 08:31 PM

2013 SLK
Originally Posted by tashakes
the B pillar is the post between the front and rear door, you need to remove the inside cover, it just pops out, the MOST loop connections will be there, you need to close the loop like the picture shows on the other post, I did it and worked perfectly. You will also need to remove the trim plate under the rear door opening (sill) to access the connections, and flip up the bottom cushion of the rear seat. That will give you access to all the fiber cables you need. Cheers, Edward
Yes, exactly, that is what your missing...Dont give up its worth it.!!

John
Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 AM

03W211
Originally Posted by tashakes
the B pillar is the post between the front and rear door, you need to remove the inside cover, it just pops out, the MOST loop connections will be there, you need to close the loop like the picture shows on the other post, I did it and worked perfectly. You will also need to remove the trim plate under the rear door opening (sill) to access the connections, and flip up the bottom cushion of the rear seat. That will give you access to all the fiber cables you need. Cheers, Edward

How can you remove the B-pillar cover? Just use the flat-head screw driver pry it?
Attached Thumbnails 2003 Navigation Install-dsc00313.jpg