E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

temp setting on auto heater/AC system?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:28 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
temp setting on auto heater/AC system?

I'm here in NYC.. the temp has been below freezing for quite a while with a couple of days up in the 50s..

I am having to leave my settings on 69 degrees.. what are most of you guys leaving yours on?

I find myself having to slow the fan speed down because of the excessive noise that the fan makes always running more than 50% on the guage and that it gets rather warm easily... I would have expected the system to slow the fan speed as the car reached the set temp in the car.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by cyclrder
I'm here in NYC.. the temp has been below freezing for quite a while with a couple of days up in the 50s..

I am having to leave my settings on 69 degrees.. what are most of you guys leaving yours on?

I find myself having to slow the fan speed down because of the excessive noise that the fan makes always running more than 50% on the guage and that it gets rather warm easily... I would have expected the system to slow the fan speed as the car reached the set temp in the car.
I keem mine on 71-72... and the fan speed does get lower as the temp is reached... be sure both sides are set to auto.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
'23 EQE 350 4MATIC
This car indeed has a LOUD fan when set to Auto. Like you, I set the fan to slow speed to hear the music better. I've got my temp at 72 especially at first start in the morning. It does get cold up here in CT.

I miss the heated steering wheel in my old '03 E320. Oh, well ...
Old 03-10-2007, 07:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is very frustrating how loud MB air-con is and how the Auto function doesn't lower the fan speed when you expect it to. The temperature we set gets achieved but it stays on full blast. Now these are under our extreme conditions, which, here in Australia, is the heat. I find myself using the manual controls all the time (which sucks) and during our hot Summer which just finished, I can't recall using the auto function much.

Maybe the interior temp sensors are wrong or something.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by SL65AMG V12
It is very frustrating how loud MB air-con is and how the Auto function doesn't lower the fan speed when you expect it to. The temperature we set gets achieved but it stays on full blast. Now these are under our extreme conditions, which, here in Australia, is the heat. I find myself using the manual controls all the time (which sucks) and during our hot Summer which just finished, I can't recall using the auto function much.

Maybe the interior temp sensors are wrong or something.
Are you saying that the automatic controls can not maintain the comfortable temperature you have selected without running at full fan speed in order to keep you comfortable yet you can run in manual with lower fan speeds and be comfortable?

If that is the case, then you are most likely feeling comfortable at a higher temperature setting than you have set the controls for. Your brain needs to see the low temperature degree setting you have chosen, which the car can not achieve without running "wide open", yet your body is comfortable a couple of degrees higher, which YOU can accept and maintain at a lower fan speed.

When you are driving around fully cooled down, at the fan speed you like at the manual setting, switch to Auto... If the fan speed increases, raise the temperature untill the fan drops back to where it was on manual. That is the current temperature in the car... which I'll bet is at a much higher temperature than you thought it was. You are setting the temperature by the numbers instead of by what feels acceptable, and its surprising how much higher the "numbers" are than what we think they should be. I know that here in the summer I always thought it should be set at 70, but that's probably an unrealistic number on a hot sunny day in a greenhouse type of enclosure. 72-74 is more realistic if I want the system not to try to fill an unreasonable request. These are not full size whole house a/c units, and the most comfortable air conditioning is provided by a slightly undersized a/c unit anyway rather than one which is even a little oversized in order to remove that most amount of humidity from the air.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Are you saying that the automatic controls can not maintain the comfortable temperature you have selected without running at full fan speed in order to keep you comfortable yet you can run in manual with lower fan speeds and be comfortable?

If that is the case, then you are most likely feeling comfortable at a higher temperature setting than you have set the controls for. Your brain needs to see the low temperature degree setting you have chosen, which the car can not achieve without running "wide open", yet your body is comfortable a couple of degrees higher, which YOU can accept and maintain at a lower fan speed.

When you are driving around fully cooled down, at the fan speed you like at the manual setting, switch to Auto... If the fan speed increases, raise the temperature untill the fan drops back to where it was on manual. That is the current temperature in the car... which I'll bet is at a much higher temperature than you thought it was. You are setting the temperature by the numbers instead of by what feels acceptable, and its surprising how much higher the "numbers" are than what we think they should be. I know that here in the summer I always thought it should be set at 70, but that's probably an unrealistic number on a hot sunny day in a greenhouse type of enclosure. 72-74 is more realistic if I want the system not to try to fill an unreasonable request. These are not full size whole house a/c units, and the most comfortable air conditioning is provided by a slightly undersized a/c unit anyway rather than one which is even a little oversized in order to remove that most amount of humidity from the air.
Yeah I get what your saying and I have picked up on that before through experimenting.

No I don't set the temperature to some unrealistic "desired" temp because then its no surprise that the fan speed is always maxed out. I usually keep it dead in the middle (22C on the analogue dials) which is perfectly acceptable and even well after I'm feeling cool and comfortable, its still keeps the fan speed on max and it is so loud that it makes me uncomfortable. It usually take me to set it to 25C before it comes down but then slightly warm air is coming out and that makes no sense in our hot Aussie climate.

I really think the temp gauges in the car are stuffed up or something. Either way - we're getting 4-zone in the new car, so maybe that will rectify the issue.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:26 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
as I am running mine at 69 when it is 15 degrees outside... I would think that it heats the car to the point of a temp that matches the setting and at that point..would reduce the fans to maintain that fixed point setting regardless of the reading (though, I am actually afraid at some point.. you run the risk of the AC compressor kicking on) it would make sense that I would be able to leave the setting to (69 in my case... and I like that "number").. all season around.

I haven't owned the car in summer heat... guess I will see what temp it likes then...