E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

LEDs not plug n play on S211 Wagon...??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:16 PM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
LEDs not plug n play on S211 Wagon...??

Installed my new LED tail lights just now and they're not functioning properly. They must not be plug and play. I installed them without powering the car. After all was done, reconnected and bolted in place, I powered the wagon and all they did was periodically blink. The turn signals work okay, but the LED portion doesn't light up as normal. When using the parking light feature, they blink once every 5 seconds.

One other thing to note, on a wagon with the HK logic 7 system, you have to remove the subwoofer to get to the inner-most nut on the passernger side light. Had to get a couple tools to get me throught the install. The driver's side was just as hard since I had to remove the pump for the rear washer--at least I think it's the pump...

Anyway, anyone had their LED upgrade problems solved at the dealership by re-coding?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E-320
As long as you have 12-14 volts to the rear plug they should work like any other light. The circut board and resistors ar all self contained. I have LED "chicken" lights on my trucks. I have gotten bad lights before. why not do a bench test on them.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:44 AM

How do I do a 'bench test'? The plug is multi-pinned, don't know which pins I would test anyway...also seems unlikely that both lights would be defective.

I'll remove them tonight and re-seat the connectors to see if that helps.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:40 AM

04 E-320
Take a 12 volt car battery attach leads to it with pointed ends that will fit in the connector. White is usually your ground. Look at the conn on the light or car and see if one is marked. Ground the light and poke the positive and see if the light comes on. You will have several pins. One for running lights, one for turn sig, one for brakes, and probably one for rear fog lights. If you are uncomfertable with this, see if there is a number to the manufacturer some "cheaper" lights will not have support. You can then contact the seller for help. Reputable sellers usually have knowledge about their product. I would hold off going to the dealer and try these "free" fixes first. If HID head lights are plug and play taillights should be to. Here is a long shot too, if the lights are wired in series in your car (from one to the other and not 2 seperate looms) a bad board on one light could make the other act screwy. Just some ideas, let me know what happens. I've been thinking about LEDs on my car. If I need to pay MB to code the car forget it.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:38 PM

E500 4-Matic Wagon, 330xi, 911C2
What are these LED lights?? Factory or aftermarket and where did you get them. Thanks
Old 03-22-2007, 01:03 AM

Talked to my S.A. today and he says they're not compatible...

I'm taking it to a second dealer on Monday to see if they make any headway.

In the meantime, I put my originals on and they work perfectly. I tried leaving one LED tail light at a time and neither of them work either independantly or together. They do light up occasionally when pressing the brake, so something's awry.