E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Is it really worth the update?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Is it really worth the update?

I notice lots of you updating, improving your ride. And I am wondering if all these update, modification really justified the cost?

I meant, spending $2500+ on wheel... (how often you check on other car's wheel? )

Updating performance... ( how often can you bypass the traffic? )

No offense here, but aren't we driving average grade car here? Not exactly a SLR or Ferrari that depreciate day by day, no matter how much goodie you add in? I did "update" w/ an after market HID kit, just because I really need to see better at night.

How about your update? How does those effect you?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 E350 Estate Wagon 4Matic
Depends on your personal preference and financial disposition.

It is no different than spending $5k on a boob job, or $2500 to get your teeth fixed, or $30 for a haircut, or $200 for a new sink faucet. Does the modification really justify the cost? You tell me.

I enjoy every modification I've made so far--to my cars and to my other "belongings".

(Though I decided to keep my E46 M3 totally stock)
Old 04-09-2007, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by no_clue
I notice lots of you updating, improving your ride. And I am wondering if all these update, modification really justified the cost?

I meant, spending $2500+ on wheel... (how often you check on other car's wheel? )

No offense here, but aren't we driving average grade car here? Not exactly a SLR or Ferrari that depreciate day by day, no matter how much goodie you add in? I did "update" w/ an after market HID kit, just because I really need to see better at night.

God, I hope it does. My mod list is growing every week. And I have two more mods in route to me. A new E63 spoiler and power folding mirrors. It's sickness for me, I could care less what the total cost ends up. I get satisfaction from knowing that my car is different from all the othere E's out there, nice to look at, fun to drive, and just a pleasure to own. If I was somebody that tried to justify everything I spent money on, I'd buy my clothes at Target, still watch over-the-air television, drive a Honda Fit, and not have spent 5 grand on my wife's boobies!
Old 04-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Don't forget that there are mod that can be considered an improvement. In my case I added the EURO mirror glass. An improvement in visibility IMHO; especially for the blindspot.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Don't forget that there are mod that can be considered an improvement. In my case I added the EURO mirror glass. An improvement in visibility IMHO; especially for the blindspot.
That is something I want also, but I have no idea where to get those.
hahhaa....that's the money I can spend.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 E350W4
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
What's the euro mirror glass?
Old 04-09-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by New E350W4
What's the euro mirror glass?
Actually, it is not just Euro mirror.
Or we should said, ONLY the U.S. still using flat side view mirror.
Rest of the world get improved convex side view mirror (1/4 of mirror from the outter edge is convex) that eliminate blind spot.
Attached Thumbnails Is it really worth the update?-untitled.jpg   Is it really worth the update?-111.jpg  

Last edited by no_clue; 04-09-2007 at 11:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:41 PM

2008 E350
No_CLue,

Do you mind taking a frontal pic of your HID setup at night to see if the glare is too intense for oncoming traffic? I know you've said before that oncoming traffic never flashes you but I just want to make sure I don't get pulled over because of it. I've been told it's a $6000 fine for each illegal HID setup(up to $12k for both sides) and I'd hate that to happen to me. I have a Bosch Kit that was intended for my other vehicle but I might just install it on the E350 but a bit hesitant for now, plus I do like using my driving lighs during the day.

Back to the question, I think it's fine for individuals to add something to make their vehicle a bit distinct from others. I've added a couple of things to mine just so it doesn't look like all the other stock E350's but IMO, it doesn't need much. Just a bit to help personalize it. I have fun doing mods on my LX450, some bling, some tuffness and I know no one has one just like mine!

Last edited by NVR ENUF; 04-10-2007 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by NVR ENUF
No_CLue,

Do you mind taking a frontal pic of your HID setup at night to see if the glare is too intense for oncoming traffic? I know you've said before that oncoming traffic never flashes you but I just want to make sure I don't get pulled over because of it. I've been told it's a $6000 fine for each illegal HID setup(up to $12k for both sides) and I'd hate that to happen to me. I have a Bosch Kit that was intended for my other vehicle but I might just install it on the E350 but a bit hesitant for now, plus I do like using my driving lighs during the day.
"Sticky post" 7th post down~

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/188825-hid-fog-lights-headlight-install-guide-211-e-series-may-work-other-series-models.html

p.s. Order the 4300K kit (instead of 6000+) and install your HID kit like Health Service described, I am sure no cops will give you trouble.

Last edited by no_clue; 04-10-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:17 PM

2008 E350
Thanks, I was kinda looking for a frontal pic moreso than a side angle. I wonder if the low angle our projectors are set at helps with the glare? When I saw pics of the HID kit installed in the fog lamps, that was very blinding and I'd be very hesitant to do that mod unless the fogs can also be adjusted lower to help ease the glare?
Old 04-10-2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by NVR ENUF
Thanks, I was kinda looking for a frontal pic moreso than a side angle. I wonder if the low angle our projectors are set at helps with the glare? When I saw pics of the HID kit installed in the fog lamps, that was very blinding and I'd be very hesitant to do that mod unless the fogs can also be adjusted lower to help ease the glare?
Fog light using reflector without cut-off tends to produce more glare. That's also the reason I didn't upgrade. (even thought it is adjustable)

W211's projector has clear cut-off, that eliminate glare.
Besides, driving light is adequate for this rainny city.

"high contrast" light can also mistaken for brighter light, especially for incoming traffic. I would recommend 4300K or 5000k kit but not any higher wavelength. (it has more OEM color)

Besides, general public aware HID are for "luxury" car, and your w211 will fit in that catagory w/out been pull over. *that is if you are not crazy enough to use 8000k or 10000K kit*
Old 04-10-2007, 07:00 PM

2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
[QUOTE=no_clue;2130607]I notice lots of you updating, improving your ride. And I am wondering if all these update, modification really justified the cost?

How about your update? How does those effect you?[/QUOTE

My wife and kids take most of my money and what is left is thrown at my hobbies, one being my car. I enjoy having something different than the stock E's. I get a personal feeling of ahhhhhhhhh.. everytime I change/add something.

I did the same thing to my Harley back in 2004, bought one day and a week later dropped an additional 3500 on Chrome.

Life is short .. PLAY HARD and SPEND
Old 04-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Almost a Member!

hey I spent 2500 on wheels.. I was tired of having the stock rims.. felt like a old man's car..
Old 04-11-2007, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
That is something I want also, but I have no idea where to get those.
hahhaa....that's the money I can spend.
Steve can get them Email him @www.MBENZNL.com
The Convex Glass Works!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:56 PM

2010 S550, '10 Road glide, '10 Sportster "48"
Just like owning a Harley, do you upgrade them?
Old 04-12-2007, 05:34 PM

GL350

I only "update" or "modify" what i can "downdate'' and reset to OEM when i sell the car
Not too many buyers tend to appreciate the mods around here atleast.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by georgedaman
I only "update" or "modify" what i can "downdate'' and reset to OEM when i sell the car
Not too many buyers tend to appreciate the mods around here atleast.
It is quite true for me, at least. When I am shopping for an used car, I like OEM non-upgrade stuffs.

When the seller trying to tell me he spend $2500 on the new wheel or suspension, it actually turn me down. It is not I don't appreciate those ultra mod, but I'd rather buy a used car from a granny who doesn't drive more than 5 mile past posted limit.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:02 AM

GL350
It is quite true for me, at least. When I am shopping for an used car, I like OEM non-upgrade stuffs.

When the seller trying to tell me he spend $2500 on the new wheel or suspension, it actually turn me down. It is not I don't appreciate those ultra mod, but I'd rather buy a used car from a granny who doesn't drive more than 5 mile past posted limit.
I dont mind upgrades of OEM..i put an euro comand and bluetooth.but i''ll be downgrading back to APS and no phone when i sell.
I just dont feel people appreciate the extra effort and money i put into it..(going through the the shadey shakey ebay transaction,searching through our great forum.. then the whole trial/error..then back to the forum..etc.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1967 Morris Cooper "S", 1983 911SC, 1997 Toyota Tacoma, 1999 HD FXSTB, 1998 C43

+1 on that - If I see fancy wheels, lowering, etc...I stay away. The mods esp. with wheels and lowering aren't typically done by professionals that I would ever trust. The wheels, at least to me, make me wonder if the car was owned by a wanna be racer.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Smile

I totally agree.. even though I did pay 2500 for my wheels.. when I sell it i'm going to put eh OEM back on the car... you don't have to validate why you spend the extra money it's more lifestyle choice.. either look like everyone's else E class.... add your own flare.. when you plan on selling just put back the OEM parts..