E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Considering an E 350 4-Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Considering an E 350 4-Matic

We are coming from an E 320. Wife loves the E 320, we drove the E 350 and the E 350 4-Matic, what a difference! The 4 Matic is heavier and you can feel it in the acceleration.

The sports package combined with the new engine is a winning combination, add to that the improved stereo and it seems perfect, except for one (or two) things she has stuck on is the Burl Walnut vs the Birdseye Maple. Our dealer has more Birdseye cars than he knows what to do with, but no Walnut. Seems he cannot locate a Black/Black leather Walnut.

Of course he wants to "deal" on "in stock" car. They have a "program" that MB Finance will take the car and waive the last 3 payments. I'm leary about such programs, because somehow I wind up paying the payments regardless.

Has anyone heard of the "3 payment" program (I think he called it "Trade Forward") or is this a sales ploy as I suspect?

Can dealers really do a complete search of inventory on the "dock" and in transit? Or just of instock vehicles at other dealers?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2007, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you saying they are offering the waive the final 3 payments on your E320? I assume it was a lease?

You need to make sure there is no negative equity being rolled into your new lease/purchase

As for the search, yes, they can search any car in the pipeline even if it hasn't been produced yet. That's how I got mine. They found a car in another dealer's pipeline that hadn't been produced yet.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally whenever a Sports Pkg was ordered, the car got the Black wood only. IMHO, the black wood only looks good with the gray interior because I feel it gets lost in the black interior, and clashes slightly with the tan interior.

MB relented in November so that dealers could specify Brown Wood be supplied with the sports pkg, but most car orderers at the dealerships stick with certain "formulas" they got accustomed to. If you really want the Brown Wood, order a car, or if you tell the dealer you only want a sports pkg car w/ Brown wood, he might make you a price offer you can't refuse, or miraculously find you a car built with the Brown wood.

The car is a great car though. You will really like it.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
E350 4Matic order

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Originally whenever a Sports Pkg was ordered, the car got the Black wood only. IMHO, the black wood only looks good with the gray interior because I feel it gets lost in the black interior, and clashes slightly with the tan interior.
Barry is absolutely right ! If I were getting the sport package, I would reluctantly pay the extra cost for the Burl Walnut trim. Black interior looks so much better with this trim. Unfortunately, the sport package is not available for North America with the Bluetec that I have ordered, but at least I will get the trim I prefer and even better looking Allmach alloys than the 10 twin-spoke ones that come with the sport package.
Two other features of the sport package are questionable IMO : the blue tinted windows don't work with every colour and the extra bright trim around the fog lights is a bit too much. Overall, though, the sport package is a real bargain.
Chairman mentioned the difference in feel between the E350 and the 4Matic version. With 200 aditional pounds over the front end, the 4Matic steering is definitely going to feel less sharp and the handling will not be as balanced as the RWD. In addition, this extra weight penalizes performance and fuel economy.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 PM

'07 E350W4
Yes, I agree with maple trim. Had I known it was possible when we ordered ours I would have opted for it.

Think it would definitely have enhanced the cognac leather.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by New E350W4
Yes, I agree with maple trim. Had I known it was possible when we ordered ours I would have opted for it.

Think it would definitely have enhanced the cognac leather.
In this case I would have to disagree. The color would have been to different between the 2. It would have looked out of place.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 PM

'07 E350W4
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
In this case I would have to disagree. The color would have been to different between the 2. It would have looked out of place.
Well, it's academic at this point but, I believe the maple and cognac are very close.
Probably would need to see this combination in person which isn't very likely unless someone ordered these specific options.

Not a big deal to me, we love the car
Old 04-10-2007, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Thats all that matters!!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:17 AM

Thanks guys for all of your comments

I just have to check my facts with all of the "experts". Seriously, we will probably order the car. The dealer told us he had one about to be built on April 30. We will add the walnut to the p2 and the sport package. I am on the fence some other options, such as bluetooth, iPod, etc. But if I am ordering, why not?

Anyone have an idea what the transit time would be once the car is built? The dealer said we should have the car by May 15th given the April 30 build date. That seems a little too agressive.

As to the potential negative equity, I have not sat down with the finance guy yet, I'll see how the salesman's claim stands up.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2007, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by chairman
Anyone have an idea what the transit time would be once the car is built? The dealer said we should have the car by May 15th given the April 30 build date. That seems a little too agressive.
That does seem aggressive. I got my car in Alexandria and it took about 4 weeks. Car was done on Mar 8. It was at the port on the 15th. It made it onto a ship on the 18th.

And then arrived in Baltimore on the 3rd of April. And I picked it up on the 5th. So it went from the ship, through customs, through the VPC, and then to my dealer in less than 48 hours which I think is the practical minimum time.

Others have reported a week sometimes at the VPC and another few days to the dealer.

So I would think, given an April 30 build, an early June delivery would be more realistic.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:33 AM

I thought so

There are two considerations. First, our lease expires at the end of June, Second, they have excellent lease rates right now, by the time this car arrives, these rates may not be available.

I am dealing with EuroMotor Cars in Germantown. Since you are relatively "local" have you had any experience with them? The first one was "purchased" in Bethesda and we will not be returning there.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:50 AM

There are two considerations. First, our lease expires at the end of June, Second, they have excellent lease rates right now, by the time this car arrives, these rates may not be available.

I am dealing with EuroMotor Cars in Germantown. Since you are relatively "local" have you had any experience with them? The first one was "purchased" in Bethesda and we will not be returning there.
I haven't dealt with them (Germantown). This is my first new Mercedes, actually. I had planned to lease it, but changed my mind while I waited and so we ended up just buying it instead. Mostly because lease terms on the S are terrible right now.

I know in the past with BMW, we've been able to lock in lease terms at the time of the deposit. Mercedes of Alexandria was not willing to do that when I asked. I'm not sure if BMW was doing that because we've had so many leases through BMWFS, or if it's just their general policy.

But as far as end of June goes, I would think chances are good you'll have the new car by then.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks for your insights

I'll try to lock in the lease rates at the time of deposit.

You are right about BMW's lease rates, ouch.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Tesla Model S P100D

Do you mean Euro Motorcars in Bethesda? Would you mind sharing your experience with them with us, including the buying and after sales experience.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:19 PM

EuroMotor Cars has 2 locations

The original in Bethesda and a brand new facility (about 2 years old) in Germantown.

I went to the Germantown facility after a major problem (attitude) with the service facility in Bethesda. They all think they are better than you are.

They acted towards me as if they were doing me a favor to talk to me after waiting 45 minutes for the service advisors to stop laughing, drinking coffee,talking on the phone, and hanging out with each other. The access to the facility is a joke, if you are not there by 5 AM you are done. This was my impression on my first visit to the facility for a 5000 mile check up.

Germantown on the otherhand is professional and there are no attitudes. They do what they can to assist you. While few dealerships can rival what I experienced at a Lexus dealership, this is a close second.

I'll let you know what the buying experience at Germantown is like after I complete the transaction.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
We are coming from an E 320. Wife loves the E 320, we drove the E 350 and the E 350 4-Matic, what a difference! The 4 Matic is heavier and you can feel it in the acceleration.

The sports package combined with the new engine is a winning combination, add to that the improved stereo and it seems perfect, except for one (or two) things she has stuck on is the Burl Walnut vs the Birdseye Maple. Our dealer has more Birdseye cars than he knows what to do with, but no Walnut. Seems he cannot locate a Black/Black leather Walnut.

Of course he wants to "deal" on "in stock" car. They have a "program" that MB Finance will take the car and waive the last 3 payments. I'm leary about such programs, because somehow I wind up paying the payments regardless.

Has anyone heard of the "3 payment" program (I think he called it "Trade Forward") or is this a sales ploy as I suspect?

Can dealers really do a complete search of inventory on the "dock" and in transit? Or just of instock vehicles at other dealers?

Thanks
Your dealer should do a complete search of all the possibilities you mentioned. He should also expand the search to a larger geographical area if unsuccessful locally.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:40 PM

2018 S450, 2019 Range Rover LWB, 2015 Range Rover, 2019 S560 Cabriolet (awaiting delivery)
Chairman-

The three month pull-ahead is legit. Mercedes Credit is offering to waive the last three lease payments provided you lease a new vehicle. Furthermore they are waiving the $395 disposition fee that you are normally required to pay when you turn a fully-matured lease. I have been assured by my dealer of over 10 years that this no gimmick. GM has been doing this for years to get more new inventory on the road quicker. I think he said this promotion is good for current E or C Class lease holders. He is waiving my last three payments on a deal as I write this (May, June, and July).

JS
Old 04-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E350W4
Originally Posted by jschade
Chairman-

The three month pull-ahead is legit. Mercedes Credit is offering to waive the last three lease payments provided you lease a new vehicle. Furthermore they are waiving the $395 disposition fee that you are normally required to pay when you turn a fully-matured lease. I have been assured by my dealer of over 10 years that this no gimmick. GM has been doing this for years to get more new inventory on the road quicker. I think he said this promotion is good for current E or C Class lease holders. He is waiving my last three payments on a deal as I write this (May, June, and July).

JS
That's correct. I got the same deal as jschade.