Chattering Wipers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Chattering Wipers

My wipers are chattering on my E320.

They wipe OK when it is raining heavy, but a swipe in light rain will rattle your bones

What is the best way to solve this?

Does anyone have a secret. (Like soaking them in something, or wiping them with something.)

If the answer is: "Just buy new ones and they will be fine", then does someone have a recomendation where to buy on-line.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:01 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Make sure there is no wax on the windshield; you can use rubbing alcohol first the windex afterward. The wiperblades too can be cleaned with alcohol. Even new wipers will chatter if there is that liquid wax on the glass from car washing.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Palanuk
My wipers are chattering on my E320. They wipe OK when it is raining heavy, but a swipe in light rain will rattle your bones What is the best way to solve this? Does anyone have a secret. (Like soaking them in something, or wiping them with something.) If the answer is: "Just buy new ones and they will be fine", then does someone have a recomendation where to buy on-line.
Mention this DTB for warranty coverage:

P-B-82.30/366c MAR07 – Adjusting wiper arms ALL MODELS. To resolve chattering/noisy wipers the windshield will be thoroughly cleaned, correct washer fluid verified, washer nozzle adjustment checked, wiper blades / inserts inspected for wear and replaced if necessary, and wiper arm angle adjusted if required.

Last edited by konigstiger; 04-22-2007 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is Sick as Fu*k
its the 1st time im coming into the w211 none amg section, but it was raining here in LA a few days ago and my wipers were chattering and being loud, im having the same problem...any1 know a way to fix it?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:21 PM

2004 E320, 2006 Infiniti G35X, Yamaha VMAX 700 (Snowmobile)
Take a trip to the dealer, some 2004 and 2005's needed to have the wiper arms adjusted. I had the same problem back in 2005 and after 2 new pairs of wipers they finally adjusted the arms.. All's quiet now.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
go to auto parts store. pick up spray can of silicone...< $10

spray liberally on cloth and wipe on rubber blade in see-saw motion.
acts like moisturizer. do this several times over several hrs

reinstall on car and test.

(i happened to have a long tube so i filled it partially with silicone and let
the blade soak for a few hrs in the silicone)

some folks have said this is unwise.... I know that many new wipers come
with a pad impregnated with silicone for use prior to installation.

i've been using same OE wiper on my 99 E320 for about 4 yrs now. zero chatter
and no streaking. anecdotal...but for me, it helped when it chattered before.
I never even had to take out the new Bosch wipers I purchased to replace
it...but it's there waiting as back up.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Change the blades if it still makes a chattering there’s a good chance the arm is not keeping the blade perpendicular to the glass. Meaning it is bent ever so slightly.

One way to tell if this is true is to see if the wipers chatter in only one direction. If it is in only one direction after changing the wiper have the arm replaced under warranty.

Warning the guys at the dealer for some reason are a little slow about figuring this out sometimes so keep pestering them until it is fix!

One of the guys at Fletcher who was my service advisor for several years when I was a shop foreman in a past life knows when I say something is bad, it’s bad! But after he went to work for Mercedes The new techs must of brain washed him because the tech kept replacing the wiper blades assuring him that this would fix the problem. Of course if you already replaced the blades once and it does not fix the problem the problem is somewhere else right? Well I got the typical crap the service writers say when they cannot fix it. 'It's normal all these cars do this!' Luckily one day that one wiper chattered enough that the arm caught the other arm and broke off on the freeway while still under warranty.

And what do you know… No more chattering after the new arm was installed!

I mean in the three years after the arm was replaced I never had one chatter again!!

Techs don't always share their cures to fix a problem so they have to run across the same problem a couple times before they figure it out. Even then some of them are still a little slow. If you have an inexperience tech working on your car theres a chance you will never get your car fixed right.

Good luck

Last edited by health services; 04-22-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:09 AM

2005 E320 CDI
Folks, Thanks for the replies. Good to know there is a solution out there. Since taking the car to the dealer is a real hassle, I would like to start with the replacement option first. (Since I am sure that is their first step anyway.) Then go with the wiper angle check by the dealership. And keep silcone in my back pocket as a last resort.

Question: Where should I buy the wipers on-line?
Old 04-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Palanuk
Good to know there is a solution out there. Since taking the car to the dealer is a real hassle, I would like to start with the replacement option first. (Since I am sure that is their first step anyway.) Then go with the wiper angle check by the dealership. And keep silcone in my back pocket as a last resort
Why not circumvent what may be the inevitable – visit the dealer and mention the DTB suggested (post 3) at no cost.