E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2004 E500 Transmission Problem and other oddities

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA, CA: 2004-2 E500W Granite Gray Ash Leather Heated Seats Sunroof
2004 E500 Transmission Problem and other oddities

Hello I am new to the forum, l but have already learned much. Thank you.

I wanted to know if other 2004 E500 owners have experienced this problem. When the car is coming to a stop after getting above about 25 mph, when it finally gets back down to 1st gear, there is an audible and very "feelable" thump. This only happens as it downshifts and not all the time. I have had it in for other transmission problems and Keyes European in Van Nuys, CA replaced much of the transmission's "brains" but I still have this problem. Of course when I take it in it doesn't do it. I would estimate it does it 2 or 3 times a week.

If this has been covered in an earlier forum I apologize, I looked but did not see this issue.

Another strange thing is that when the car is started, cold or hot, often there is a sound like a horn or wheeze as you drive along. Again, it happens most often when slowing down, though I have now heard it as I drive along. When the car is cold the sound is louder, so loud, that for many months I thought someone was honking at me until I realized there was nobody else there!! It is driving me crazy, because I cannot link the sound directly to an action or function of the car. It almost sounds like pressure is being released from a system - brakes or suspension or maybe my transmission.

I like my E500, it's the fifth MBZ I have owned, I have not driven anything else since 1978. This replaced reluctanlty my 300E that had 300,000 miles.

Thank you

GGB
Old 04-22-2007, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I had these problems on my '04, They replaced lots of parts on the trans & never really fixed it. Its a "Bump from Behind" feeling on the final downshift from 2nd to 1st. They changed Valve Body, pan, programming etc, There are som DTB's about this. Its more prevalent when the car is cold, but can happen anytime. If I had to do it all again, I wouldnt never again take the trans apart, because other shifts were never silky smooth again, I found, that final down shift into 1st became so delayed that if I made a quick Stop Sign stop, and then pressed down on the gas, the car was still in mid downshift, and accelerated abruptly. Advice from here is. If you can't stand it, Drive the car in "C" mode... and never think about it again Really. My new '07 says in the manual, that for the 1st thousand miles, to drive it in the C mode. After I passed 1000 miles I was reluctant to put it into S mode. The Trans is MUCH SMOOTHER in all conditions while in C. They will swear they can fix it. I can only give you my story.

If by wheeze you hear a high pitched whistle (like a "top of the hour' time beep), coming from somewhere over your shoulder in the rear, the guys here say its a kinked air hose somehere back there. It was infrequent enough that I didn't want the car ripped apart looking for it. We all just laughed about it.

Enjoy your car. You'll find nice guys here, and a lot of helpfull info. Welcome!

Dont forget to list your options in your Signature. In your profile, list your Location. These cars are built slightly differently depending on where in the world they are sold, and what options your car was built with.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 04-22-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LA, CA: 2004-2 E500W Granite Gray Ash Leather Heated Seats Sunroof
Barry,

Thank you for your helpful reply. Your transmission experience is the same as mine. I had many other transmission problems, but they fixed everything but this. I will try your suggestion of driving in C and see what happens. My transmission shifts beautifully up and down - until the clunk/thunk!

You may be right about the "kink" in the airline, but the sound I hear seems like it is closer to the middle or front - but it could be the same thing.

I am taking it in for a B service tomorrow and I will let you know if they find anything.

I will post car details shortly.

Best regards,

George
Old 04-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,446 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Softwareguy
My transmission shifts beautifully up and down - until the clunk/thunk! I am taking it in for a B service tomorrow
Check your PM