E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Just got done talking to a Mercedes Tech about Star DIAG lowering...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 11:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got done talking to a Mercedes Tech about Star DIAG lowering...

I have 2007 E550, can this be done and actually stay? I know the old cars would reset everytime you turned the car on/off. Here is what he said:

You could probalby do it, and if it stuck, you would probably trip the "minimum threshold" sensor everytime you hit a BIG bump or pothole

A better idea in his opinion was to get new pieces that hold the sensors which are fairly cheap and trick the suspension into thinking it needs be lower (he says some company used to make them)

Any help guys? The bottom line is that a) my car is a lease and I don't want to do anything degrading to the suspension or that cannot be reversed b) I have MB Tech buddies who are more than willing to help, they have never done it though.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by cavanok
I have 2007 E550, can this be done and actually stay? I know the old cars would reset everytime you turned the car on/off. Here is what he said:

You could probalby do it, and if it stuck, you would probably trip the "minimum threshold" sensor everytime you hit a BIG bump or pothole

A better idea in his opinion was to get new pieces that hold the sensors which are fairly cheap and trick the suspension into thinking it needs be lower (he says some company used to make them)

Any help guys? The bottom line is that a) my car is a lease and I don't want to do anything degrading to the suspension or that cannot be reversed b) I have MB Tech buddies who are more than willing to help, they have never done it though.

This tech is 100% wrong. You can not get the car to sit that low using the star lowering. It can be lowered at most about 3/4 of an inch but each car is different.

What you end up doing is fooling the computer to sit at the LOWEST (lowest ride height but not always the lowest value) voltage level for each ride height sensor. Each sensor has a range of values to input and you can fool it but tinkering around until you get it to accept a lower level.

To get way to complicated here, the computer asks for a sensor reading in volts for each sensor when the rear drive shafts or front control arms are at a specific angle (using a factory angle reading tool). The factory specs out how an OEM car sit and then when you obtain that angle on the rear drive shaft and or front control arm, you enter the value (in volts) that the DAS computer indicates. Once set the car goes OK that is how I should sit every time I am on and in the COMFORT setting on Airmatic. The factory knows that there is a range of voltage levels that will equate a given half shaft or control arm angle figure and that is your margin of error to play with. So in the end you cant lower the car THAT much.

If you go to low the car bounces back saying no and it will not set the ride height.

Using your techs same train of thought your car would throw and error code every time you bottom the car out on a dip etc. That is not how it works. It will say to low if you have a stagnant ride height that is to low. Cars that are to low are VERY low... believe me. You would have drivability issues well before getting a to low warning.

If you have questions let me know. I spent way to much time getting my E55 to sit correctly so I have done this a bunch of times. In all honestly its easier to just get a RENNtech lowering module and doing it that way. The star method is just a long drawn out process that can only be adjusted with a computer.

Once lowered you lose some drivability just because you reduce the suspension travel. If you are sensitive you will notice the car bouncing a bit more and you will have more issues once you load the car up with people. I personally am going to go back to an OEM ride height (only lowered the car by 1/2 an inch) because I dont like the feeling of running out of suspension travel over every dip and or imperfection on the freeway. But to be honest roads here in California are TERRIBLE so I likely have a worse time with it than those who have smooth roads.

There are reasons against the washer method (moving the sensor manually) but some swear by it. I have been through it all many times and the RENNtech module is likley the best bet. The star method is nice because it leaves the car 100% oem but it offers the least level of adjustability and once set you are stuck until you get back to the shop for further adjustments. The washer method (or the linkages method) effectively does the same thing as the STAR method but it runs a risk of bolts coming out and sensors falling off (no good). Finally the RENNtech module allows you to adjust the ride height any which was and it allows you to go back stock say if you want to go for a long drive with the car stuffed to the gills with people and luggage.

Lastly, getting the car to sit evenly with an OEM rake is fairly difficult with STAR lowering methods as moving a front wheel messes everything else up and you dont have the adjustability needed to get it 100% right every time. My drivers front sites 1/4 an inch lower than the passenger side for example (cant get it any better even with literally 4+ hrs of work!).
Good luck.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 05-04-2007 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
every method has it's ups and downs bit I too believe the renntech module is the way to go as eric stated. The Star method takes some patience and time and the car may go up and may go down a little.
Old 05-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Almost a Member!

well..

Thanks for that write-up! Definetly helps... How much is the Renntech module? Here is the other question, I know you mentioned that with the Renntech module, you could have multiple modes, does that work thru the main suspension button? Can you do the same with the star Diag. (just have the most stiff suspension mode lower an inch?).

thanks guys...
Old 05-07-2007, 12:38 PM

'03 E500 sport
links

I saw this link on a E55 forum. I am planning on the doing the washer method.
http://www.adjustableairride.com/
Old 05-07-2007, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW E39
I still don't understand how people think the nut can come loose for the washer method. I mean seriously, do you use your fingers to tighten the nut?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
Originally Posted by newton22
I still don't understand how people think the nut can come loose for the washer method. I mean seriously, do you use your fingers to tighten the nut?
Toes?