E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

AMG Upgardes = Poseur?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 Pewter/Ash
AMG Upgardes = Poseur?

OK, 1st off - I'll ask everyone who replies to clear your minds of any past violations involving terrible after market eBay crap that does nothing but ***** out our beautiful-at-birth vehicles.

The facts of the case are as follows:

1) I bought a cherry pre owned 2005 E500. Low optioned car (no NAV, HID's, Keyless Go, Pano, HK, Sirius, etc), but paid only $44k in May of '06 with only 9k on the clock.
2) It was the exact color combo I was looking for - Pewter Silver Metallic over Ash.
3) It did not have the Sport or AMG package, but I was jonesing and had to have the car.
4) I have since begun a slow voyage into making the car my own. Powerchips ECU, K&N drop ins, AMG body kit, quad tips, AMG sway bars and tie rods - front and rear, AMG pedals, killer 19" (Axis 'Matrix') wheels - staggered setup that I get compliments on almost every day, earth shaking sound system (JL Clean Sweep, amps, and sub, Infinity Kappa series speakers), and DVD headrest system by Visual Logics.

Now..... my question is...with the pure AMG pieces I've added, is it politically OK to put the AMG badge on the car (work with me all you "debadged is better guys) ???

I'm not presenting the car as an E55 clone by any means, but it is essentially an AMG equipped car, so why not the badge if I'm so inclined?

In the end, I'll do what I want, but I enjoy and value hearing the POV's from this group - so sound off !!

Thanks.

Kenny in The DFDub
Old 05-30-2007, 12:53 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Ask yourself this: since the strangers you pass on the road can already see and (presumably) admire the AMG body kit bits, what would you be trying to accomplish by putting an AMG badge on the car? They don't need to be told that you have AMG body parts, since they can see that for themselves (if they care). Would you be, maybe perhaps, suggesting to them that you had an AMG engine too? That's the conclusion that I would draw, whether you substituted an "E55" for "E500" or not. To me, a car with the "AMG" label comes from Mercedes; drivers can't roll their own one piece at a time.

Incidentally, for what you've probably spent on modding your E500, you could have gotten a 2005 E55 ... but then it would merely be authentic, not "your own."
Old 05-30-2007, 01:03 AM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
I wouldn't do it. Your car - your choice.

Today I saw a guy with an A4 w/ a few S4 exterior trim pieces (but not all of them) and an S4 badge. I don't think he liked it when I pointed and laughed.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
You did so nice things for the car so it deserves AMG badge.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:16 AM

Received 261 Likes on 167 Posts
An ///AMG badge on the back of a standard MB (just like an ///M badge on the back of a standard BMW) is 100% poseur status. Don't be that guy.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
you can do whatever you want.

I know a colleague who actually took the badge off his car. (he got a real E55) Because he is tired of answering "Is it real?"
Old 05-30-2007, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
sold - w211 e320, f250, rx7 race car
Skip the AMG. Leave the E500 or debadge all together. If you must add a badge to the car, get the Kleemann Kompressor and then stick the Kleemann badge on.

I do not think a car qualifies for AMG badging unless it has the complete package (all AMG - get the brakes, kompressor, etc). Display "AMG" with some wheels or brakes, both of these are already logo'd up.

Don't add the AMG license plate either, that's in the same boat as badging.

OT: How did those sway bars work out? Did they do much for handling? I'm going to guess you are the same guy who I sold mine too. Sounds like you've done a lot to the car since I saw it. Post some pics of the car.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 AM

Remove all badges

Do as the Germans and remove all the badges. That cleans up the look, is stealthier, avoids confusion, and allows you to make the car what you want. Personally, I have no problem adding features that personalize or enhance the look of the car, but I am always upset when I see misbadged cars. Think of all the Tempest to GTOs and 4 cylinder Mustang pseudo-GTs floating around in the 80s and 90s. I have an old M6 and 911RSA and hate seeing home-made versions of the car. However, old exact replicas of Alpina BMWs and Carerra RSs are gaining respect and value (because the originals are in the stratosphere)
Old 05-30-2007, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
If you think about it, all of the mods/improvements you made were for the car or you. Misbadging it is for the public at large to drool over. Its a hell of a car but its NOT an AMG. Mis-Badging is a false brag.

...But its your car...

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 05-30-2007 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:56 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
I saw a guy with a SL600 and he put an AMG badge on his car.. What an idiot.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:17 AM

2007 E550 Sport
Don't put the emblem/badge on unless you want people to think it is an AMG... Besides, the only people you would fool would be people who don't even own a Mercedes or don't care...
Old 05-30-2007, 02:05 PM

My car looks like the AMG model except for a few minor details, and I am proud to leave it as an "E500", I still get plenty of "wows", and I don't think an AMG badge will make it any better.
I say leave it as it is, an E500 is an E500 and no matter what you do to it, it will be just that, thats what i could afford at the time of purchase and it certainly looks alot different than any other E500 on the road, so that makes me proud of my whip and what it is at this point!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:45 PM

09 S550
I bought my car brand new and was waiting for it for 3 months because I wanted an AMG package. I also paid $5K extra for it. I did put an AMG badge on mine. I think i deserve it.
It still says e-500 on the other side. So I do not think there is anythin wrong with it. I am not pretending to have E55 since it says e-500 but I did pay 5K extra for a rare AMG package that came from the factory.
So it is simply saying that I have an AMG package on the E-500 car.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
don't be a foolish poseur. don't put on that badge.

sure, uninformed highschool ricebois in honda civics might drool over your fake "AMG" car, but anyone who knows a hoot about AMGs will think of you as a loser who couldn't afford the real AMG. I saw so many non AMG benzes in LA with AMG badges.

as someone else suggested, putting on Kleeman, Brabus, Lorinser etc badges if you install those parts is perfect.

0.02c
Old 05-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Almost a Member!

i saw a legit e55 this AM with the "E55" badge removed and jsut the AMG on and that was more believable...leave yours as is but it's your decision and your car.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by KennyDFW
OK, 1st off - I'll ask everyone who replies to clear your minds of any past violations involving terrible after market eBay crap that does nothing but ***** out our beautiful-at-birth vehicles.

The facts of the case are as follows:

1) I bought a cherry pre owned 2005 E500. Low optioned car (no NAV, HID's, Keyless Go, Pano, HK, Sirius, etc), but paid only $44k in May of '06 with only 9k on the clock.
2) It was the exact color combo I was looking for - Pewter Silver Metallic over Ash.
3) It did not have the Sport or AMG package, but I was jonesing and had to have the car.
4) I have since begun a slow voyage into making the car my own. Powerchips ECU, K&N drop ins, AMG body kit, quad tips, AMG sway bars and tie rods - front and rear, AMG pedals, killer 19" (Axis 'Matrix') wheels - staggered setup that I get compliments on almost every day, earth shaking sound system (JL Clean Sweep, amps, and sub, Infinity Kappa series speakers), and DVD headrest system by Visual Logics.

Now..... my question is...with the pure AMG pieces I've added, is it politically OK to put the AMG badge on the car (work with me all you "debadged is better guys) ???

I'm not presenting the car as an E55 clone by any means, but it is essentially an AMG equipped car, so why not the badge if I'm so inclined?

In the end, I'll do what I want, but I enjoy and value hearing the POV's from this group - so sound off !!

Thanks.

Kenny in The DFDub
KennyDFW Do you live in Frisco? I was speaking with a gentlemen at 7/11 in Plano one day. His car sounds like yours. Got any pics?
Jim-Nickel
Old 05-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
At the end of the day, it's still no AMG. It doesn't deserve an AMG badge unless it came from Sindelfingen (Or Vance, AL) with an engine from Affalterbach.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by AsianML
At the end of the day, it's still no AMG. It doesn't deserve an AMG badge unless it came from Sindelfingen (Or Vance, AL) with an engine from Affalterbach.
Word.

Sport kit is always a good look but quad pipes on an E500...
Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 MB E550 Sport
Who are you doing it for?

If for yourself - it's your choice, and if it makes you feel like you accomplished a lot with all your mods, then go ahead.

If you're looking to impress others - don't do it. You'll receive less-than-adequate responses, especially from true AMG enthusiasts.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:37 PM

2005 E500 Pewter/Ash
Hey Jim!

Originally Posted by Nickelmania-Dal
KennyDFW Do you live in Frisco? I was speaking with a gentlemen at 7/11 in Plano one day. His car sounds like yours. Got any pics?
Jim-Nickel
Hey Jim -

Yeah, that was me - enjoyed chatting with you that day - that was actually the day I was going to have the DVD headrest installed if I remember correctly. Will take some up to date pics as soon as we get some decent weather around here !

Kenny

Last edited by KennyDFW; 05-30-2007 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:45 PM

2005 E500 Pewter/Ash
Thanks for the input......

Wow - now THIS is why I love this forum - no shortage of opinions in just 24 hours, and with the exception of the "you could have had a real E55" misfire, all valid. I actually was misinformed that the AMG badge COULD come on the car originally if the appropriate AMG parts were ordered - not just on an E55, so I would have to agree that the badge will never make it's way onto my car.

Will post new pics as soon as the weather clears here in Dallas - hopefully Saturday

Thanks all -

Kenny
Old 05-30-2007, 11:50 PM

2005 E500 Pewter/Ash
Yep - That was me.....

Originally Posted by mbuskuhl
Skip the AMG. Leave the E500 or debadge all together. If you must add a badge to the car, get the Kleemann Kompressor and then stick the Kleemann badge on.

I do not think a car qualifies for AMG badging unless it has the complete package (all AMG - get the brakes, kompressor, etc). Display "AMG" with some wheels or brakes, both of these are already logo'd up.

Don't add the AMG license plate either, that's in the same boat as badging.

OT: How did those sway bars work out? Did they do much for handling? I'm going to guess you are the same guy who I sold mine too. Sounds like you've done a lot to the car since I saw it. Post some pics of the car.
Man, I wish I could have remembered your handle here - would have liked to have your "wrench" do the install - paid about $700 to have it all done. A little less body roll is noticeable and very welcomed. Hope the RX7 tracker is holding up well.

Thx.

Kenny
Old 05-31-2007, 02:19 AM

2005 C55
Dont do it!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by KennyDFW
Hey Jim -

Yeah, that was me - enjoyed chatting with you that day - that was actually the day I was going to have the DVD headrest installed if I remember correctly. Will take some up to date pics as soon as we get some decent weather around here !

Kenny
Kenny,
I had the 07 E Saks Edition but did not have it with me that day in the 7/11 parking lot. I am the guy that ownes the nickel arcade. Your E looks fantastic the way it is! I would not ad another thing to it. That E of yours is the best looking E 500 that I have seen on the road! It looks awsome! Place some pics up soon.

Jim-Nickel
Old 05-31-2007, 09:13 AM

2010 Charcoal Grey E350 Coupe
AMG should come with a 'certificate of authenticity' but I guess they'll sell those on Ebay ,too......

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG Upgardes = Poseur?