E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

HID Active Headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350 4matic
HID Active Headlights

Quick question about the HID Active Headlights. Are you supposed to be able to see the light move left or right when turning the steering wheel if the car isnt moving? Or is it only when the car is in motion?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 215 Posts
S560
I'm pretty sure mine only does it while driving. It is very noticable and quite useful. The fog light also turns on on the side your turning into. I valet'd the car the other night and it was parked right out front and when he pulled out the car the one fog turned on- everyone thoght I had a burned out bulb- it was pretty funny...
Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
The Active Light System is not active when the vehicle is stationary.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:39 AM

2006 E350 4matic
oh alright. thanks guys! apparently BMW's active light system works when its stationary so i thought mine wasnt working.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 E550 Sports
I have a 07 E550 also with factory xenon, but I never see my head light turn when I make a turn doesn't matter left or right. it's always stationary, how can I make sure mine isn't defective or anything?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Pekkle
I have a 07 E550 also with factory xenon, but I never see my head light turn when I make a turn doesn't matter left or right. it's always stationary, how can I make sure mine isn't defective or anything?
Go to a parking lot and turn the steering wheel and start rolling slowly. You should see the beams move to the inside of the curve. When you stop, they will return to the straight position and it is clearly visible.

You can also have the car connected to SDS and they can run a quick test on them to see if they are moving. You will get an error in the MFD if there is a malfunction detected.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Almost a Member!

05' E320 (W211)
Also, though...just because you have Xenon, does not mean that you have active corning headlights. I am not sure about the 07 models, but as for my 05, the Xenons are one thing and then active corning is another, in which case the actuall headlight would move. In the 08's the headlights no longer move left or right, however they still go up and down for leveling. The cornering feature is now built into the fog light as emilner mentioned. You would not have the corning feature unless you ordered it as an option or got the premium 2 package.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan
Also, though...just because you have Xenon, does not mean that you have active corning headlights. I am not sure about the 07 models, but as for my 05, the Xenons are one thing and then active corning is another, in which case the actuall headlight would move. In the 08's the headlights no longer move left or right, however they still go up and down for leveling. The cornering feature is now built into the fog light as emilner mentioned. You would not have the corning feature unless you ordered it as an option or got the premium 2 package.

The cornering foglight feature is independent of the turning headlights. And just because the headlights move only up and down at startup does not mean that they don't swivel when in motion.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Pekkle
My '07s headlights beams visibly move when at speed & there is a turn in the road. Its a quick movement when they return to center.

When you're at a crawl & turn the wheel one of the fog lights turns on to illuminate the appropriate "curb".
Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 PM

2007 E550 Sports
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
My '07s headlights beams visibly move when at speed & there is a turn in the road. Its a quick movement when they return to center.

When you're at a crawl & turn the wheel one of the fog lights turns on to illuminate the appropriate "curb".
Yeah, I test drove my car from a parking lot at night, when I turn very slowly, my fogs illuminate one side however my head light still doesn't turn.

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
You can also have the car connected to SDS and they can run a quick test on them to see if they are moving. You will get an error in the MFD if there is a malfunction detected.
Where can I connect to a SDS besides dealer? cuz I know dealer will charge me an arm and a leg.. However if there is a problem, it's still under the warranty.

Originally Posted by RyRoRyan
You would not have the corning feature unless you ordered it as an option or got the premium 2 package.
Yeah, I do have the option 2 package, however it still doesn't seems to move..
Old 11-15-2008, 02:12 PM

Do the headlights have to be

in "auto" to have this feature work?

My son's G35 has this feature and when you are sitting still, and turn the wheel, you can see the headlights move.

The headlights moving up and down when you first turn them on is actually the lights adjusting for the incline. This feature is on most recently (I believe 03 and newer) built cars with Xenon lights from the factory.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I have never noticed the headlight beams looking left or tight unless the vehicle was underway at speed. The Fog Light "turn illumination" does work whether standing still or crawling. The light that goes on depends on the direction the wheel is being turned and whether the car is in D or R when it is illuminated.

There is a lot of overthinking that goes on at MB. For example, I don't believe the rain sensitive wipers will turn the wipers on if you have the wiperswitch on & hit the sensor with a garden hose while the car is in Park with the engine idling.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-16-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
There is a lot of overthinking that goes on at MB. For example, I don't believe the rain sensitive wipers will turn the wipers on if you have the wiperswitch on & hit the sensor with a garden hose while the car is in Park with the engine idleing.
Software logic when the driver or front passenger door is opened, the windshield wipers stop moving to prevent passengers who are exiting or entering the vehicle from being splashed by wiped away water. Intermittent wiping feature reactivates upon engaging transmission, or temporarily switching wiper position to continuous wipe.