E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Auto central locking/unlocking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'06 E500, '99 ML430 and '07 SL65

I have looked through the manual forwards and backwards but cannot find anything about this problem I seem to have. I have the central auto lock feature enabled so the car locks all doors when driveing more than 9 miles. That works great, no problem. It used to be so then when I came to a stop, put the car in P and opened the drivers door the whole car would unlock - all doors and the trunk - but it stopped doing that. I am not sure what I have done so if anyone have any ideas it would be appriciated.

BTW, I have my key programmed to unlock the drivers door on first press and all other doors and trunk on second press if that makes a difference.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
Door lock & unlock.

Here is the procedure on my car (MY2000) (not on your user's manual) :
Use the door lock switch on the dash, push that button to lock you car hold in lock position for 10 secs, then release it. Your car will lock all (global) 4 doors, trunk & gas cap door when it move pass 9mph. In reverse hold that button unlock for 10 secs, your car will release the global lock when the car move (then you have to use the dash button to lock the car). I hope it will work on your car. Regards.

Last edited by SoCal208; 06-13-2007 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by sgaar
I have looked through the manual forwards and backwards but cannot find anything about this problem I seem to have. I have the central auto lock feature enabled so the car locks all doors when driveing more than 9 miles. That works great, no problem. It used to be so then when I came to a stop, put the car in P and opened the drivers door the whole car would unlock - all doors and the trunk - but it stopped doing that. I am not sure what I have done so if anyone have any ideas it would be appriciated.

BTW, I have my key programmed to unlock the drivers door on first press and all other doors and trunk on second press if that makes a difference.
It does make a difference. When you have the key set to only open the drivers door with one press of the button you've essentially said that you don't want to unlock the whole car when you get out. My wife has the car set up that way so that if she is pumping gas, only the driver's door and the gas cap cover is unlocked. It's a safety feature. It drives me nuts because when my wife gets home and parks the car in the garage, I can't get into the trunk or the rest of the car except the driver's side without having to reach inside the car and use the switch to unlock the car. Change your key to unlock the whole car on the first press of the button and that will solve the problem.

Of course you can leave the key the way it is and use the switch on the dash to unlock the rest of the car before you get out.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by BudC
It does make a difference. When you have the key set to only open the drivers door with one press of the button you've essentially said that you don't want to unlock the whole car when you get out. My wife has the car set up that way so that if she is pumping gas, only the driver's door and the gas cap cover is unlocked. It's a safety feature. It drives me nuts because when my wife gets home and parks the car in the garage, I can't get into the trunk or the rest of the car except the driver's side without having to reach inside the car and use the switch to unlock the car. Change your key to unlock the whole car on the first press of the button and that will solve the problem.

Of course you can leave the key the way it is and use the switch on the dash to unlock the rest of the car before you get out.
The odd thing is that I haven't changed the way the car unlocks using the key. For as long as I have owned the car the key only unlocks the drivers door and the gas cap on the first press and the rest on the second. Until resently opening the drivers door after coming to a stop the whole car would unlock and I havent changed the way the key works.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal208
Here is the procedure on my car (MY2000) (not on your user's manual) :
Use the door lock switch on the dash, push that button to lock you car hold in lock position for 10 secs, then release it. Your car will lock all (global) 4 doors, trunk & gas cap door when it move pass 9mph. In reverse hold that button unlock for 10 secs, your car will release the global lock when the car move (then you have to use the dash button to lock the car). I hope it will work on your car. Regards.
I will give that a try. Thx.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley-Davidson
Your car is under warranty. How far is it to the nearest dealership?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by cyclerider
Your car is under warranty. How far is it to the nearest dealership?
Well, I took the car in for some other work that needed to be done and I asked about the door locking issue. The SA didn't immediately have an answer but said he would ask the tech. No noticed when I rolled up and opened driver’s door that the whole car unlocked but could not remember what I have done to make it change. The SA tried to change the way the key works and didn’t find any difference. Anyway, I pick up the car and the tech didn’t give my much so I decided to drive home. I open the drivers’ door at home and only that door unlocks. Odd!! So I try to toggle the functionality of the key again from divers’ door and gas cap on first press to everything on first press and back again. That did it. I now have the original functionality. I come to a stop and put the car in P, open the driver’s door and the whole car unlocks.

To test my theory that the functionality can be toggled I tried to change the behavior of the key from drivers’ door and gas cap on first press to the whole car and back again. The result was that drivers’ door was the only one to unlock. I did it again and I was back. Undocumented feature…..
The following users liked this post:
cosmictrucker (09-20-2018)
Old 08-14-2014, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E350

Hi
I have a 2005 right hand drive W211 Mercedes E350. A short time ago the driver's door central locking started malfunctioning. When locking the door with the remote the door locks and unlocks several times in quick succession like a machine gun. The knob on the top of the door panel bounces up and down. Sometimes it end up locked and sometimes unlocked. Any advice would be welcome.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 AM

'03 SL55 AMG | 2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by Roydavis
Hi
I have a 2005 right hand drive W211 Mercedes E350. A short time ago the driver's door central locking started malfunctioning. When locking the door with the remote the door locks and unlocks several times in quick succession like a machine gun. The knob on the top of the door panel bounces up and down. Sometimes it end up locked and sometimes unlocked. Any advice would be welcome.
Most likely a bad actuator. Do a search for "lock actuator" and "machine gunning"

Old 09-20-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 S550 4matic / 2003 E55 AMG
auto global unlock

Thank you for posting this.

Originally Posted by sgaar
Well, I took the car in for some other work that needed to be done and I asked about the door locking issue. The SA didn't immediately have an answer but said he would ask the tech. No noticed when I rolled up and opened driver’s door that the whole car unlocked but could not remember what I have done to make it change. The SA tried to change the way the key works and didn’t find any difference. Anyway, I pick up the car and the tech didn’t give my much so I decided to drive home. I open the drivers’ door at home and only that door unlocks. Odd!! So I try to toggle the functionality of the key again from divers’ door and gas cap on first press to everything on first press and back again. That did it. I now have the original functionality. I come to a stop and put the car in P, open the driver’s door and the whole car unlocks.

To test my theory that the functionality can be toggled I tried to change the behavior of the key from drivers’ door and gas cap on first press to the whole car and back again. The result was that drivers’ door was the only one to unlock. I did it again and I was back. Undocumented feature…..
Thank you for posting this. My 03 E55 just started (not) doing this too. Nothing in the manual and google searching took some time before finding this. I'll give this a try in the morning. I open the rear door nearly as often as the drivers door, and having the whole car unlock after parking was a nice feature.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:20 AM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 S550 4matic / 2003 E55 AMG
Update:
I've learned what happened in my case as to why all doors stopped unlocking after parking, turning off the engine and removing the key then opening the drivers door.
In my case, the issue was with the lock/unlock switch on the dash next to the emergency 4way flasher button.
At some point I had fumbled around while driving and was trying to find the ESP button. I must have pressed the door unlock/lock button by mistake. Doing so re-set the global unlock setting.
The fix:
With the engine off, key removed, I hit the lock button that locked all doors, then opened the drivers door. All doors unlocked. I found this by doing different sequences of key in, key out, hitting door lock, door unlock, so I may not be 100 % correct as to the proper sequence, but I believe it's as simple as hitting the door lock button then opening the drivers door.
The global door unlock via the key fob wasn't the fix in my case since that feature was still working as normal.

I hope this helps

Last edited by cosmictrucker; 09-22-2018 at 05:23 PM.