E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

wooden shift knob?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2002, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wooden shift knob?

Does anyone have a picture of the difference between regular shift knob and the optional wood and leather shift knob? I thought it came with those automatically...
Old 10-13-2002, 03:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
I was wondering the same myself when I read the last post regarding the 1st time MB owner. I know there is an option for the wood/leather steering wheel which I ordered but I had no idea regarding a wood/leather shift knob.. I've seen 100's of pics of e-class but not a signle one with a wood/leather shift knob. My sales guy never mentioned that option either and I did not see it anywhere in the catalog.
Old 10-13-2002, 07:44 AM

2013 S550
The E500 does come with a wood and leather shift knob. However, all the Keyless Go shift knobs I had seen came full leather. My salesperson was unaware that the wood/leather shift knob was available for Keyless Go. I ordered one from their parts department and Sales will cover installation along with the steering wheel.

While not as elegant looking as the standard wood/leather shift knob, it does help a bit and I like it better than the full leather. The upper head is still full leather, and the wood is located on the opposite side (back?) as compared with the non-Keyless Go knob.

I'll post a picture if I ever get the car ...

Chris
Old 10-13-2002, 08:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Superb, please do when you get it and thanks for the info
Old 10-13-2002, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E350 AMG E63 Pack.
wood leather sk
Old 10-13-2002, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
oo, thats tyte, thats a manual....nice.....i see what ctouhey was talking about, the wood is on the other side, facing the radio panel
Old 10-13-2002, 12:29 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
ctouhey,

Are you sure your dealer is not taking you for a ride with the shift knob? In Austin, I test drove a E320 with sport package and keyless go. I specifically asked the salesman when I saw the knob..."Does the keyless go mean you lose the wood on the shift knob?", and he said no and showed me the wood on the "back" side of the shifter (if you are holding the shifter like a gun, it is the area that is touching your palm). It is kind of hidden (you don't just see it when you look at the shifter).

It sounds like this is what the dealer is trying to sell you, but I think it is already on the car.?? Or is the option you are buying from the dealer have more on it like wood on the top or something.

IMO, MB needs to clarify the whole wood / leather shifter and wheel option thing, because it seems like the area of most confusion...any ideas or dealer input??
Old 10-13-2002, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
i think when you order the keylessgo, they remove that piece of wood for the button, and put that little piece on the back side, i tried to see the wood shifter with the keylessgo,but they dont have a pic
Old 10-13-2002, 12:52 PM

bmms8,

yes they don't have a pic on the mbusa.com site, which is amazing to me (sounds like they don't know what they are selling).

It evens adds to the confusion that they have listed 2 accessories:

1. wood and leather trimmed shift knob - but if you click the pic, it is the same shifter that already comes in the car...so what are you buying here?

2. wood and leather trimmed keyless go shift knob - no pic, and it sounds like you also get this with the car (wood on back) when you buy keyless go.

So I don't know why these options are there.
Old 10-13-2002, 01:06 PM

C-Class
that interior pictures doesn´t show the "6 speed manual"

its the sequentronic, which i never saw on the lots of e-classes we sold this year. seems to be bad =(
Old 10-13-2002, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
oo, thats wierd, we tested 3 e-classes, and none of them showed that
Old 10-13-2002, 01:38 PM

2013 S550
Abhansali,

I'd have to say I'm not positive of much, and unfortunately the same goes for the dealer.

The Keyless Go wood/leather shift knob is listed as an Accessory on the MBUSA site. It's not shown on my NetStar printout, so I assume that mine will be full leather. Again, all of the pictures I've seen in brochures or hours on-line show a full leather Keyless Go shift knob. If mine comes wood/leather, I assume they'll take mine back with a restocking fee. (I have actually seen the part as it has arrived.)

The dealer is more sure of the wood/leather steering wheel. You definitely have to order that, which is also listed on the MBUSA site as an Accessory. My salesperson, while talking with the VPC to better understand the delivery delay, requested that they add the steering wheel and the shift knob there while they were waiting for the stereo chip. They declined, saying that they are only authorized to do what's in the computer. There was some explanation about the volume of cars, inability to give unscheduled services to individual cars, and no way to bill the service. The dealership suggested that the VPC could bill them directly, but the VPC still declined.

So, hopefully the car will get here soon and I'll find out if I was over zealous in ordering the accessories. BTW, I looked up the exact cost of both Accessories including Texas sales tax. The shift knob was $246.81 and the steering wheel was $915.80. I was told by parts that the installation charge is $81 and change for each part but again, sales agreed to pick up the installation.

Hope this information is useful.

Chris
Old 10-13-2002, 01:53 PM

ctouhey,

my dealer told me that the wood / leather wheel was a Netstar orderable item in August at $500 and then it was removed (no reason given as to why). He told me now that it is a dealer option at $975+tax (much more than what you got it for). This seems like a "racket" to let the dealer make some free money if you ask me.

BTW, does the part you order have wood on the "back" side only, or also on the top?
Old 10-13-2002, 02:21 PM

14 'E550
I myself think the Keyless-Go knob will be all leather as from the factory......if you want to add the wood/leather knob, you have to order it from parts.

If you don't order keyless go, the top of the knob should be burl walnut on the non-Sport and aluminum on the Sport.
Old 10-13-2002, 02:34 PM

2013 S550
abhansali,

The part I received had wood on the back only, below the top (crown?) of the knob which was full leather. It came in Oct 3rd, and I dropped by and took a brief look so I can't really remember exact details. I had hoped for a wood top with a finished cut-out for the Keyless Go button, but was a little disappointed that the entire crown is still full leather. The wood piece begins in the back just below the leather crown and is roughly 2.5 - 3 inches long and .75 to 1 inch wide (ROUGHLY). Perhaps .5 - .75 inches deep.

I am a little picky about some things, and I remember liking it much better than the full leather Keyless Go shift knob I played with in a 2003 E320. It's really a matter of personal taste, though. The regular (non-Keyless Go) shift knob still looks the best to me. That's the best I can describe it until I get the car and take pictures.

Chris
Old 10-13-2002, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
is the wood fake in the new e????? i remember pushing the little button for the 6 cd.....and it had a plastic and wood piece meeting eachother, i really dont remember it that much....but it kind of dissapointed me.....i know it says burl walnut or whatever.....but there is that fact of how much, and is it mixed with cheap plastic......
Old 10-13-2002, 02:53 PM

Thanks for description....my confusion still is that the car I drove had a wood shifter exactly as you described, but there was no wood shifter option on the sticker. So I am still not sure if you get it by default or not...you may want to see the original shifter before having them put on the new one. We await your pics...
Old 10-13-2002, 03:00 PM

2003 MB E500
Originally posted by bmms8
is the wood fake in the new e????? i remember pushing the little button for the 6 cd.....and it had a plastic and wood piece meeting eachother, i really dont remember it that much....but it kind of dissapointed me.....i know it says burl walnut or whatever.....but there is that fact of how much, and is it mixed with cheap plastic......
It is wood in the new E but I'm sure it is wood veneer and not solid wood pieces.
Old 10-13-2002, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
oo, what do you mean by veneer?
Old 10-13-2002, 08:38 PM

Most cars under $100,000, it seems, use wood veneer on their interior trim.
Wood veneer is a very thin slice of wood, which is often thin enough that it can be 'rolled' in the same direction as the grain, rather than being rigid like a block of wood.
The veneer is affixed to a piece of plastic, which supples the rigidity and shape.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
oo, i see
Old 10-13-2002, 11:26 PM

It's not just a question of a cheaper finish using veneer but a safer one than using solid wood,because in an accident wood can splinter and crack causing possible injury to passengers.

This way you get the real grain of wood but a safer version of it as well as reducing the number of trees used.
Old 10-15-2002, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W212 E350 AMG E63 Pack.
Ok here is mine
Old 10-15-2002, 09:24 PM

So is there wood on the backside of the shifter? Can't make out from the picture...
Old 10-15-2002, 09:31 PM

14 'E550
Originally posted by abhansali
So is there wood on the backside of the shifter? Can't make out from the picture...
He doesn't have Keyless Go, just the Sport package (so the shiftknob insert is aluminum).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: wooden shift knob?