E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Another cheap GPS alternative...............

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Another cheap GPS alternative...............

I have only move to this state for couple months, I truely need a GPS. However, I really can't justified spending $1500 for non-touch screen OEM GPS.

So, I have been through many GPS.
I started w/ Garmin C330, then move to TomTom one, then Garmin Nuvi 350, and to TomTom 510....
(yeap, all around $300 GPS only)

Finally, I am super happy w/ $10.99 SLIM Mount (item number 8288319 from BESTBUY) No more ugly housing w/ windshield mount!!!!! This is actually the most important part of this project. It is super slim and it wouldn't look ugly even you don't have GPS on it.

I finally settle with Nuvi 200. ( you might able to get the wide screen 200W or 250W version, but I think it will be too obvious)

NOT only it is accurate and easy to use, quick removable, but most important of all, it has to look good in my car!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reason I pick Nuvi 200 (besides inexpensive)

1. no antenna.
2. ultra slim and light
3. best non-reflective screen, even better than Nuvi 600 series. No problem viewing it in direct sun light.
4. battery last more than 8 hours per charge!!!!!
I start "GPSing" around Seattle for more than 5 hours, and battery still indicate 3/4 charge remain.
***** why this is extremely important? Because I do NOT want power cord hanging over my center console****

Stay away from TomTom, it wouldn't last more than 100 min!!!!

Anyway, if you have any question about GPS, I am sure I can answer few questions for you.
Attached Thumbnails Another cheap GPS alternative...............-mount-only.jpg   Another cheap GPS alternative...............-front-1.jpg  

Last edited by no_clue; 07-01-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E350, 07 Tahoe LTZ
Great post, I'm thinking of doing the same thing and didn't want the nasty looking windshield mount. There's been a significant price drop on the Nuvi, just waiting for it to go down a little bit more before I take the plunge.

A
Old 07-01-2007, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by alexrod
Great post, I'm thinking of doing the same thing and didn't want the nasty looking windshield mount. There's been a significant price drop on the Nuvi, just waiting for it to go down a little bit more before I take the plunge.

A
Stay w/ 2xx series, if you don't care much about TTS or Bluetooth. Nuvi 3xx and 6xx has antenna flip that wouldn't look good though.

Plus, Nuvi 3xx display is no way close to the new Nuvi 2XX seris.

Dont take my word for it..see the comparison.
http://www.brothersontech.com/blog/n...ace-comparison
Old 07-02-2007, 10:56 AM

'03 E500 Sport
I like that setup. Nice and clean looking. What does the GPS system and the mount end up costing? Who has these for the best price? I may get this setup today!

EDIT: Also, how easy is the mount setup?
Old 07-02-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by PetePap
I like that setup. Nice and clean looking. What does the GPS system and the mount end up costing? Who has these for the best price? I may get this setup today!

EDIT: Also, how easy is the mount setup?
I got the Nuvi 200 off ebay for $240 + shipping.
(I was lucky)
I didn't want the "Wide" (200w or 250w) screen version, because I don't want it to block my vent.
( you can google Nuvi 200 online, it shouldn't be over $300 )

I can ONLY find the slim mount at local Bestbuy.
($10.99) Part number is on my first post.

so........for less than $300 total. (you might able to sell the OEM bracket and mount for $20

P.S. the mount set up is 2 min work.
you peel off the 3M double side tape and tape one clip on back of your Nuvi.

And insert the vent clip.
(that's all to it)

Here are more detail pics... no matter which angle you look at it. It is clean, slim and NOT very obvious.
Attached Thumbnails Another cheap GPS alternative...............-clip.jpg   Another cheap GPS alternative...............-clip1.jpg   Another cheap GPS alternative...............-driver.jpg   Another cheap GPS alternative...............-passenger.jpg   Another cheap GPS alternative...............-outside.jpg  

Last edited by no_clue; 07-02-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:09 PM

'03 E500 Sport
Great. Thanks for the info! I actually bought that HoldIT bracket for my ipod already. I am going to search for that GPS system. THANKS!