E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Audio System Won't Power On (Sometimes)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-500
Audio System Won't Power On (Sometimes)

Wow... going on month two of owning a 2003 E-500 and already its been in the shop for a week due to tranmission problems (a $1501 fix - covered by dealer warranty thank goodness).

But NOW (not always, just sometimes) when I turn on the car, the audio system won't come on automatically as it should. The display by the speedometer reads "Audio --". I press the power button on the radio and nothing will happen. If I wait a minute, it might come on. One time I had to stop, turn off the car, and turn it back on for it to work.

Most of the time, it works just fine... this problem is intermittant.

Any ideas what could be causing it? I just can't see shelling out money for a new command unit. Ugh.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by fenriz79
NOW (not always, just sometimes) when I turn on the car, the audio system won't come on automatically as it should. Any ideas what could be causing it? I just can't see shelling out money for a new command unit. Ugh.
Audio50 (cassette) mention DTB P-B-82.62/226c SEPT06 – head unit & audio gateway (AGW) software will be updated.

COMAND (no cassette, larger display) mention DTB P-B-82.60/382a MAY06 – head unit & AGW software will be updated however, specifically request the newest COMAND update: service disc W211 589 14 22 00 https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w211/200213-current-comand-sw.html

Depending on dealership cooperation it should be a no cost update.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:54 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
I had a similar problem where the Command would lock up on the MB symbol or not come on at all. After 5 days in the shop they found fault codes D137 and D117. The Audio Gateway control module was not recognizing any modules. The receiving optical sensor in the Gateway was inoperable. The Audio Gateway was replaced and coded. However, the problem persisted. They then found the Voice Activation/UHI control going into 'watch dog' mode and locking up audio. This module was replaced and corrected the problem. Fortunately this all happened at the end of my warranty period and was covered. Good luck!