Better w/ WaterWetter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500 Sport, Giant NRS Composite 2, Specialized Roubaix
Better w/ WaterWetter?

My local all-German tuning shop pushes this product to help keep coolant temps down. Any experience out there with it?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by fergml
My local all-German tuning shop pushes this product to help keep coolant temps down. Any experience out there with it?
I've used it for years. I do my own coolant changes using a 50/50 mix of Mercedes coolant and distilled water. I premix it in the Mercedes containers and add Water Wetter.

I have never known if it actually helps but the point is that it doesn't really lower the overall coolant temperature, it reduces hot spots in the engine. It doesn't cost all that much and since I've never had one single coolant problem with my last two Mercedes (17 years and 16 years respectively), I must be doing something right.

The most important thing to remember about your car's cooling system is to never, ever permit tap water in it. Always use a 50/50 mix of Mercedes coolant and distilled water.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E320
I have a Honda Blackbird motorcycle and participate in a board for owners. Water Wetter is very popular for track days as Etelyne Glycol is prohibited.
The folks who use it are generally satisfied. I was not aware that it could be substituted for H2o in a 50/50 mix. As the previous poster stated, it helps prevent temperature spikes in the small cooling systems that street bikes utilize. Blackbirds are notorious for running hot at lower speeds. They really cool down at 100+ (Too bad the laws are so restrictive). Water Wetter will not withstand cold temperatures when mixed with H2o. I believe there is at least one competing product but I can't recall the name.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by Clinton Horn
I was not aware that it could be substituted for H2o in a 50/50 mix.
Where did I say it could be substituted for water? I just add it to a premix of coolant and distilled water.