E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Locked keys in the car? (Keyless-Go)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic, 2012 Kia Soul+
I had that weekly intermittent "key not recognized" problem, but ignored it as it always came back a few seconds later. But I recommend gettting the key replaced as soon as it starts happening. I just had the car towed because the key would not work. We tried my spare key and the car responded fine, so they just ordered me a new key.

It's not a battery issue.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
I second that.

That's what must have caused your problem. The Blackberry must have interfered with the signal from the Key FOB. Whenever I carry my key and phone in the same pocket I am unable to lock my doors via the handle buttons.

Also, here's a bit of useful information; I read this somewhere: next time you lock a key in your car, instead of meeting the person at the scene of the crime, try this:
  • have the person borrow a cell phone
  • call that cell number from any other phone
  • once your connected, have the person point the cell phone toward the car
  • point your key FOB at the mic on YOUR phone and press the unlock button
  • The car will unlock!

I am told that that should work over any distance -- New York to L.A. or even Paris!

I haven't tried it, but hey.. it's worth a shot.

I personally don't think it works. Besides, the SmartKey uses Infrared, iirc, and not radio frequency.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by sosh
I can't believe that you are complaining about teleaid and you are not even a subscriber. In addition you admit that you were prepared to lie to them. That says lots about your character. What most likely happened was that your wife unlocked the car put her purse in it thru the pass door, shut the door and then went to the trunk. By this time, no key was inserted in the ignition or keyless go activated so the doors relocked as they should.
According to pinebaron, the doors will automatically lock after 40 seconds if a door isn't physically opened after unlocking, not if the key is inserted in the ignition or not.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
Originally Posted by sosh
I can't believe that you are complaining about teleaid and you are not even a subscriber. In addition you admit that you were prepared to lie to them. That says lots about your character. What most likely happened was that your wife unlocked the car put her purse in it thru the pass door, shut the door and then went to the trunk. By this time, no key was inserted in the ignition or keyless go activated so the doors relocked as they should.

Whether I'm a subscriber or not, the fact of the matter is that nobody answered. They have no idea if a subscriber or non-subscriber is calling them. Maybe I was calling to activate my service, you have no idea of my intentions. And what if a child had been locked in the car? Would it be ok to complain then, even though I'm not a subscriber? And to question my character out of something you're inferring from an internet post is out of line. And if you read my post closely, you'll see that I said I could've told them that it was an emergency. Nowhere in my post did I say that I was going to.

Get your facts straight.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 07-17-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AsianML
According to pinebaron, the doors will automatically lock after 40 seconds if a door isn't physically opened after unlocking, not if the key is inserted in the ignition or not.
I'll have to check you on this one.

I leave my car unlocked in my garage every night. And it's always unlocked when I open the door every morning.

OOOH! But that's after driving it, of course. Maybe he means if the car is unlocked with the key, and no door is opened it will re-lock itself. Ahhhh, I get it now. That could've happened I guess. I somehow doubt it took her more than 40 seconds to walk from the passenger door to the trunk though. Who knows.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
Even then, it should have unlocked when she pull on the door handle. As I was here thinking about it, I think I figured the problem. Once I approached the drivers door and my wife tried opening the passenger before I unlocked the car. The door did not open and the whole car froze. I had to pull the key out of my pocket and unlock the car with the button. Your wife tried the same thing, she tried opening the trunk with the key in the passenger seat. If this was done after the car relocked it would duplicate my situation. Maybe it is a security feature that prevents the doors from being opened if someone tries opening the wrong door.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:19 PM

Harley-Davidson
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
. . . Maybe he means if the car is unlocked with the key, and no door is opened it will re-lock itself.
That is what my car does.
I somehow doubt it took her more than 40 seconds to walk from the passenger door to the trunk though.
And even if it did take that long, she had already opened the passenger door which would cancel the automatic locking sequence. (I love a good mystery.)
Old 07-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by cyclerider
That is what my car does.And even if it did take that long, she had already opened the passenger door which would cancel the automatic locking sequence. (I love a good mystery.)
It's like that exploding tire on the R320 mystery.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Something doesn't add up here. I spoke with her about it again and according t o her, this was the order of events:
  1. Walked up to locked car with purse on shoulder and key in purse
  2. Pulled passenger door handle and opened door
  3. Went to trunk to put groceries in but it was locked
  4. Went to driver door to get in and start the car (to get the A/C running)
  5. Driver door was locked too.
  6. So went back to passenger side but it was now locked

So according to this, the car must have locked itself after she put her purse in the car. When she opened the passenger door, all doors and trunk should've been unlocked. Even if she manually pushed down the locking pin on the door, the remaining 3 doors and trunk would've been unlocked. The only thing that could've happened is when she threw her purse in the front the seat, the blackberry landed on the key and depressed the lock button on the remote.
I think I figured it out or it is the only way I got to duplicate what I think happened.

Walked up to locked car with purse on shoulder and key in purse
Pulled passenger door handle and opened door
Threw the purse with key and blackberry in the passenger seat; the key was now useless due to blackberry interference.
Now here is strong possibility what happened: She was still holding on to the door handle and while closing the passenger door, accidently hit the lock button; the car would lock since it did not see the key.
Went to trunk to put groceries in but it was locked
Went to driver door to get in and start the car (to get the A/C running)
Driver door was locked too.
So went back to passenger side but it was now locked

Once a door is opened (any door) it definitely cancels out the autolock feature; I tried all sorts of combinations and the autolock executes only if no activity follows remote opening.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pinebaron
I think I figured it out or it is the only way I got to duplicate what I think happened.

Walked up to locked car with purse on shoulder and key in purse
Pulled passenger door handle and opened door
Threw the purse with key and blackberry in the passenger seat; the key was now useless due to blackberry interference.
Now here is strong possibility what happened: She was still holding on to the door handle and while closing the passenger door, accidently hit the lock button; the car would lock since it did not see the key.
Went to trunk to put groceries in but it was locked
Went to driver door to get in and start the car (to get the A/C running)
Driver door was locked too.
So went back to passenger side but it was now locked

Once a door is opened (any door) it definitely cancels out the autolock feature; I tried all sorts of combinations and the autolock executes only if no activity follows remote opening.
Ahhhhh,

But the car would need to "see" the key in order for the lock button on the outside of the door handle to work.

You can't just go up to a keyless-go car and push the lock button and it lock. The car must "see" the key in order for this to work.

I'm going with aliens at this point.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:50 PM

Harley-Davidson
. . . Now here is strong possibility what happened: She was still holding on to the door handle and while closing the passenger door, accidently hit the lock button; the car would lock since it did not see the key. . .
I thought you might have figured it out, but I just went out to the garage without my key and pressed the lock button on the door handle. Guess what? NOTHING HAPPENED. The car needs to "see" a key to lock (as well as unlock) the door.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
Ahhhhh,

But the car would need to "see" the key in order for the lock button on the outside of the door handle to work.

You can't just go up to a keyless-go car and push the lock button and it lock. The car must "see" the key in order for this to work.

I'm going with aliens at this point.
You are absolutely right. I just tried it and the external lock key function only works if the vehicle recognizes a key in the the vicinity.
Back to the drawing board to conduct more experiments tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 PM

Harley-Davidson
I left my car at MB one evening for an oil change . . . I had to leave the key in a drop off box. . . The next day I had to pick the car up in the evening (after the service dept closed) and I was at loss how they would lock the car with the key inside; the SA was also puzzled . . . At 3pm he called me to say they figured it out; I was too busy to ask how. . . When I arrived home, I realized there was bump under the driver side mat; the key was in an envelop with the invoice; proves it can be done. . .
So how do we explain this? Someone must know the answer.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by cyclerider
So how do we explain this? Someone must know the answer.
The Interior Compartment Module located behind ashtray, center console receives signal from key to detect key inside vehicle via integrated antenna. They may have removed the key battery and placed it along with the key in the envelope.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Something doesn't add up here. I spoke with her about it again and according t o her, this was the order of events:
  1. Walked up to locked car with purse on shoulder and key in purse
  2. Pulled passenger door handle and opened door
  3. Went to trunk to put groceries in but it was locked
  4. Went to driver door to get in and start the car (to get the A/C running)
  5. Driver door was locked too.
  6. So went back to passenger side but it was now locked

So according to this, the car must have locked itself after she put her purse in the car. When she opened the passenger door, all doors and trunk should've been unlocked. Even if she manually pushed down the locking pin on the door, the remaining 3 doors and trunk would've been unlocked. The only thing that could've happened is when she threw her purse in the front the seat, the blackberry landed on the key and depressed the lock button on the remote.
I would replace the key battery it could be that the battery is starting to weaken and therefore not emitting the strongest signal.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by konigstiger
I would replace the key battery it could be that the battery is starting to weaken and therefore not emitting the strongest signal.
Replaced them last week.

But for argument's sake, let's say the batteries are weak. How would that explain the doors locking by themselves?

I think I'm gonna chalk it up to Ze German's electronics being Ze German's electronics.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
The Interior Compartment Module located behind ashtray, center console receives signal from key to detect key inside vehicle via integrated antenna. They may have removed the key battery and placed it along with the key in the envelope.
The key was complete in the envelope under the driver side mat.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
But for argument's sake, let's say the batteries are weak. How would that explain the doors locking by themselves?
I was thinking the key might not have been recognized or strong RF interference blocked the key’s signal because of being weak when it was placed inside the vehicle. In this scenario it may have been possible for all doors and trunk to have opened but while she was on her way to the trunk they locked. Needless to say it’s a complex system made up of multiple RF signal transmissions to a number of antennas throughout the vehicle and any one component could intermittently malfunction because of interference.

I think pinebaron needs to talk to his dealer and hopefully their explanation may provide an answer.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
I was thinking the key might not have been recognized or strong RF interference blocked the key’s signal because of being weak when it was placed inside the vehicle. In this scenario it may have been possible for all doors and trunk to have opened but while she was on her way to the trunk they locked. Needless to say it’s a complex system made up of multiple RF signal transmissions to a number of antennas throughout the vehicle and any one component could intermittently malfunction because of interference.

I think pinebaron needs to talk to his dealer and hopefully their explanation may provide an answer.
I definitely need to talk to my dealer. I tried my best to duplicate what the dealer did (i.e. hide keys in an envelope under the driver side mat) but after several attempts, failed to lock the doors. Now if the dealer has a master key, or some type of gadget that duplicates the key signal.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Got a call from wife this afternoon saying she locked the keys in our E500 at the grocery store. I told her that was impossible and she assured me over and over that the keys are in her purse sitting on the passenger seat with all 4 doors and the trunk locked.

I called MBUSA to try to have them open the car remotely. I chose the appropriate options in their voice operator system. They connected me to the Tele-Aid dept and the phone just rang and rang and rang and rang. After 3 minutes of continuous ringing I hung up the phone, grabbed my spare key and left to the rescue.

Sure enough, I get to the car and all 4 doors locked and her purse is sitting on the passenger seat. Unlocked the car with the spare remote, opened her purse and there lies the key. I tried for 10 minutes to lock the keys back in the car. I tried all kinds of stuff and no matter what I did, I couldn't get the key locked in the car. I did find one thing out though. If you lock all 4 doors, open the trunk, put the key in the trunk and close it, the trunk will just pop back open on its own 2 seconds later. Pretty neat.

Anyway, how the hell did she do this? And has anyone else locked themselves out of a keyless-go W211?

And what the hell is Tele-Aid for if nobody answers the damn phone? Of course, I'm not a Tele-Aid subscriber and I wondered if they would've even unlocked it for me. I could've always lied and said my 2 year old son was in the car. Seems pointless to have tele-aid, especially after today.
So at the end of the day are you happy you have the keyless go?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Yacht Master
I'll put it to you this way. I will never ever own another car without this feature. It is my single most favorite option on this car. I made a mistake by not getting it on my R500. Luckily that's my wifes dune buggy and I drive it rarely. Love it, love it, love it.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E320 Bluetec
I love it

I love it; so very convenient especially when I get out of the office; bag in hand, cell phone ringing or carry a bunch of papers. I dont have to reach in my pockets to look for the key. My other car also has keyless opening using the remote key but this beats that. My friend who recently bought a 2007 Corvette has similar features except his locks automatically when he moves out of range; MB will have none of that; safety rules etc. I imagine.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
I love it; so very convenient especially when I get out of the office; bag in hand, cell phone ringing or carry a bunch of papers. I dont have to reach in my pockets to look for the key. My other car also has keyless opening using the remote key but this beats that. My friend who recently bought a 2007 Corvette has similar features except his locks automatically when he moves out of range; MB will have none of that; safety rules etc. I imagine.

Why I ask, I guess I don't fully understand the keyless go system. Basically if you have the key in your pocket the doors unlock and you push a button to start the car. Then to lock it you push the button on the key. Right?

Now I have seen the Chevrolet version and that remote starting is impressive and the range is over 150 yards. You can cool off your car before you leave your building. thats cool
Old 07-17-2007, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Why I ask, I guess I don't fully understand the keyless go system. Basically if you have the key in your pocket the doors unlock and you push a button to start the car. Then to lock it you push the button on the key. Right?

Now I have seen the Chevrolet version and that remote starting is impressive and the range is over 150 yards. You can cool off your car before you leave your building. thats cool

You're partly right.

With the key in your pocket, briefcase etc, you can walk up to the locked car and pull the door handle. All 4 doors will unlock (or just the driver's if you configure it that way) and you can push a button on the gear selector to start the car. You push the same button to stop the car. You then get out, close the door, and push a small square button on the outside door handle, not on the key. You never ever need to even touch the key. Plus, it's just cool.

Now the remote starting would be bad-*** if MB offered it. The best MB can do is with the keyless go system you can walk up to the car and push the little unlock button on the outside pull handle while pushing a second button the inside of the pull handle. This will open all 4 windows and sunroof 1/2 way and start your ventilated seat, if so equipped.

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 07-17-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
looking Key in car with keyless go - one scenario

OK, lets expand on this.

Tonight I played with mine.

Starting conditions:
1) Car in garage unlocked.
2) Locked rear doors manually by opening them and pushing the button.
3) Got in on passenger side and manually locked driver's door from inside.
4) Opened passenger, left key in seat and manually locked door before getting out.

Result:
1) Went to trunk and was able to open it - this action did not unlock passenger compartment doors.
2) Pushed lock button on outside of trunk with no effect.
3) Car opened when using second key.

HTH

Take it away from here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Locked keys in the car? (Keyless-Go)