E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CD Changer - can it be added later?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 CLS63
The factory order number for a wood/leather steering wheel is 289.
Old 10-27-2002, 12:08 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally posted by AMGLAB
I ordered a E-500 during the first week of September. I wanted the wood wheel and the dealer said that option was not on their current order form to process. (This was despite the fact it is listed in the brochure as a factory option and was on several E-cars at the dealership that I previously saw as a $500 factory option.) The MB web site to build an E-Class only lists the wood package as a dealer installed option at $850! After searching this forum, I found the factory order number and called the dealer again. The dealer called back and said that order number was right and MB accepted my order for the wood wheel as a factory option. Anyone who wants the wood steering wheel should not accept a no from their dealer. I suspect they just want to sell it as an $850 plus labor dealer installed option. I also suspect that they are so busy taking easy orders for the new E that they are not taking the time to provide real service by researching these issues with out being pressed.
AMGLAB, my dealer is still telling me that it does not show up on his order form for the wood wheel. Did you just tell him the order number 289 or was there some procedure he did to get it ordered. If you could find out that would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I would not take anything but what I ordered. These cars cost way to much to settle for something less. Especially if it is something that is important to you.

I would tell them you will take the car only if they comp the cd player and install it along with the Nav.

By the way, was the CD Player on the order when you gave the deposit. Do you have a copy of an order with the CD on it.

I would also check with other dealers (a long drive back would be a treat in your new car). You may be able to make a better deal. We are starting to hear of discounts from the MSRP in some areas.
Old 10-27-2002, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
According to some official MB documents I've read, it will be $400 from the dealer. Don't complain either, because it used to be $800. Of course, it is still expensive, but we all pay it anyway.
Old 10-27-2002, 05:15 PM

2012 CLS63
abhansali, I just told the dealer to research further on how to get the wood wheel. Who knows if I will really get it! Another post on this forum within the last several days said it was only the walnut wood wheel which was in short supply at the factory. I ordered the "Sport" option, which only comes in the black birdseye maple. Maybe that's why the dealer said my order for the wood option was accepted. Try calling the sales manager at your dealership who should know who to contact at MB. If the sales manager dosen't give you satisfaction, try calling MBUSA. To me, its not acceptable that MB can not supply all the options that they produce. Short delays are understandable, but answers that they don't know when it will be available just shows their stupidity, or more likely their lack of any research. Some one at MB has the answer.
Old 10-27-2002, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by abhansali
AMGLAB,

Can you tell me the factory order number? My dealer's story sounds exactly like yours except that he wants $975 instead of $850..

Your dealer sounds like he ought to be selling used cars in LA.

All the dealers I have talked to were at least sticking to the price list or less.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:39 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500, 01 SLK320
iPod

Don't bother. Same thing happened to me. Get an iPod with an FM transmitter. Put 400 CDs on it. Anyway, that's what I going to do.

In case you dont know what an iPod is:

Link to Apple iPod site
Old 11-11-2002, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Re: iPod

Originally posted by Benzoid
Don't bother. Same thing happened to me. Get an iPod with an FM transmitter. Put 400 CDs on it. Anyway, that's what I going to do.

In case you dont know what an iPod is:

Link to Apple iPod site
Should I buy a Mac also to be able to use iPod?
Old 11-11-2002, 11:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Re: Re: iPod

Originally posted by Dema
Should I buy a Mac also to be able to use iPod?
Works on winblows now and has a plugin for xtunes on Linux as I've seen lately.. Should work seamlessly on winblows though...
Old 11-12-2002, 01:08 AM

1992 Ford Taurus with 13" rims
Hey guys, just remember a single disc DVD/NAV unit is not a foregone conclusion. Remember the link that was posted awhile back about the 03' E55? In that article it described the DVD/NAV unit as having two slots....one for music, and one for the NAV disc. Also, the GM at my dealer said even though the changer isn't available yet, there is no way in hell that MB will charge $800 for something that is installed at the factory for $400. While he doesn’t have pricing on the changer, he is assuming that it will cost him less than $400...and customers will pay $400, plus installation. He was so sure of this, he promised to give me the changer at cost, with no install charge...and he' won't charge me more than $400, no matter what.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
but wesam, the changer is out...i have it on my car
Old 11-12-2002, 09:08 AM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally posted by wesam
Hey guys, just remember a single disc DVD/NAV unit is not a foregone conclusion. Remember the link that was posted awhile back about the 03' E55? In that article it described the DVD/NAV unit as having two slots....one for music, and one for the NAV disc. Also, the GM at my dealer said even though the changer isn't available yet, there is no way in hell that MB will charge $800 for something that is installed at the factory for $400. While he doesn’t have pricing on the changer, he is assuming that it will cost him less than $400...and customers will pay $400, plus installation. He was so sure of this, he promised to give me the changer at cost, with no install charge...and he' won't charge me more than $400, no matter what.
Here is what I think is going on. In the past, accessories like the wood wheel and the CD Changer have been dealer only options. From what I understand this was a profit center for them. To be competitive with other cars, MB is now offering this stuff from the factory, but some dealers are telling customers it is not available, so that they can install them at the dealership making the profit themselves. Definitely the CD Changer is available, and also many people have got the wood wheel (both before Sept and after Sept, supposedly when it was no longer orderable). This is my opinion, I don't know if it is truely fact, but this is what I am piecing together...
Old 11-12-2002, 02:35 PM

1992 Ford Taurus with 13" rims
Originally posted by bmms8
but wesam, the changer is out...i have it on my car
That's probably because u ordered your car with, correct? Dealers dont yet have them.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:04 PM

'14 SL550
I'm with you Wesam, I'm looking for someone that has had the changer installed after the car has arrived. Maybe it can be done when the NAV system is installed.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
oo, i see what you are talking about, yea, i did order it, but i know fletcher jones in cali can put in the 6 cd changer