E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Routing a microphone cable around the dash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Routing a microphone cable around the dash

Hi All,

I'm replacing the Audio 20 head unit in my 06 W211 with an aftermarket JVC KD-BT1 which has built in Bluetooth capability and want to put the microphone so it comes out of the top of the trim halfway up the A-Pillar/windscreen.

How easy is it to route cables behind the drivers console and whats the best way of doing it?

Rgds

Chris
Old 07-26-2007, 03:57 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by fatbaldbloke
Hi All,

I'm replacing the Audio 20 head unit in my 06 W211 with an aftermarket JVC KD-BT1 which has built in Bluetooth capability and want to put the microphone so it comes out of the top of the trim halfway up the A-Pillar/windscreen.

How easy is it to route cables behind the drivers console and whats the best way of doing it?

Rgds

Chris

Can't you integrate the existing mics in the rear view mirror??
Old 07-27-2007, 02:57 PM

Will my car have them? Are they fitted in all cars but just no enabled?

If so, great, I'll just need to work out how they're wired.

If not, as I've got to fit in facia adapator I'm going to mount the mike on that somewhere

Rgds
Chris
Old 07-27-2007, 04:21 PM

GL350
Most likely your car has it too, it is just unabled.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:26 PM

Received 225 Likes on 135 Posts
EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Integrating the internal mic with aftermarket radio

I installed a Motorola Bluetooth phone unit. I considered using the internal factory mic's. Getting the console apart is tricky. I did it a couple of times and managed to screw up the sun roof and tear the rain sensor ribbon cable. Fortunately I was able to reset the sun roof and repair the cable. I attached a few photos of the console. Good luck figuring out where the mic cable is. You may be able to do it with an electrical diagram.

Afterwards I opted to install the after market mic on to the rain sensor cover. I think this is a better location with less road noise than along the A-pillar.

To route the cable,

- loosen the lower dashboard panel on the driver side
- remove the fuse cover on the driver side of dash
- remove the rubber seal along the A-pillar
- pop off the A-pillar cover. Be careful here, there's an airbag piston concealed in the A-pillar. The A-pillar cover is held in with two metal clips and the lower edge is wedged in the corner of the dash.
- Pry off the rain sensor cover. This is not easy. I trimmed the tabs a bit before reinstalling it to make it easier to remove.

It helps to purchase the plastic wedge tool the Mercedes has for removing trim pieces. I think it is about $15 and well worth it.
Attached Thumbnails Routing a microphone cable around the dash-dsc02245s.jpg   Routing a microphone cable around the dash-dsc02248s.jpg   Routing a microphone cable around the dash-dsc02518s.jpg  
Old 02-07-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E320 AWD Wagon
hello fgwinn, do you have pics of a pillar trim removed and dashboard panel removed? i'm trying to run cable behind the dash as well going into my glove compartment. thanks