E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Made a trip to a stealer today about the A/C problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320 CDI 98k and counting
Angry Made a trip to a stealer today about the A/C problem

With A/C on the coolest setting I have cool air coming only from the passenger side vent. The drivers side blows worm air.
Took it to the dealer today, I was told by the service adviser who didn't even bother to check my car that it will cost around $400 - $500 to start working on it and they will go from there.. I got a feeling this could turn out to be bottomless pit
Anyone else had this problem? What did it cost to fix out of warranty?
2005 E320 CDI 86k miles. new owner
Old 08-04-2007, 05:28 PM

2004 E500 4matic
well at least the compresssor sounds like it not the problem. I hope u got a good deal on a 2005 with 86k on the clock. Maybe u can find a good indy a/c shop that know benzes. Bc u r going to pay out the u know what at the dealer.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by bigmel
well at least the compresssor sounds like it not the problem. I hope u got a good deal on a 2005 with 86k on the clock. Maybe u can find a good indy a/c shop that know benzes. Bc u r going to pay out the u know what at the dealer.
The deal was not bad, 30k even, over all I am satisfied with the car. Just need to take care of some of these issiues. Anyone knows a good indi in the Bayarea -East bay?
Old 08-04-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Originally Posted by BLACKCDI
The deal was not bad, 30k even, over all I am satisfied with the car. Just need to take care of some of these issiues. Anyone knows a good indi in the Bayarea -East bay?
You have low refrigerant, the air passing the evaporator is using up the cooling capacity. Half way through the evaporator it is already hot gas. The most common leak I have seen on the 211 is the dryer cartridge mounted to the bottom of the condenser. You might see some oil/dirt buildup where the lines enter it.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by csumt76
You have low refrigerant, the air passing the evaporator is using up the cooling capacity. Half way through the evaporator it is already hot gas. The most common leak I have seen on the 211 is the dryer cartridge mounted to the bottom of the condenser. You might see some oil/dirt buildup where the lines enter it.
Thank you for the tip, I will check the leak out ASAP. I have already thought of the low refrigerant possibility, bought 18 oz self refill kit of R-134a with oil, with a pressure gauge. Hooked it up to the larger diameter pipe as per instructions. With the engine running and A/C at full the gauge showed around 35psi, and was in the blue, I filled it a bit more to 40psi. According to the gauge 40 psi would be full capacity?
Please let me know if I should fill it any further, and if I have done everything correctly.
THX
Old 08-06-2007, 03:36 AM

I have had excellent!!! service from M-Service on Mt. Diable in Walnut Creek (he worked on my bmw 735 for years.. ).. Dante is still the owner, and i highly recommend him... they will be doing any of the non-warrenty work on my latest e500 purchase
Old 08-13-2007, 04:03 PM

Cool Update, Problem Fixed!

OK, so I finally decided to take my car in to MB of Walnut Creek, CA.
My service adviser this time was Michael Hendry (Assistant service manager),
I have to say he gave me great customer service! First of all he offered to give me a free rental even know the car was out of warranty, I received 07 C230 for the day. After couple of hours I received a phone call from Michael saying that they traced the problem to a leak in the A/C dryer, due to this the refrigerant was low. All the stepper motors and valves are working properly. The bill came to $850, that included new dryer and full A/C recharge.
Now I am satisfied MB customer again!

Trending Topics

Old 08-13-2007, 06:33 PM

2004 E500 4matic
OK, Now I am satisfied MB customer again!
thats wonderful.... did you get your car back?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigmel
thats wonderful.... did you get your car back?
Yep, just drove it home, nice and cold, they showed me the dryer reciever, it was full of oil!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
OK, so I finally decided to take my car in to MB of Walnut Creek, CA.
My service adviser this time was Michael Hendry (Assistant service manager),
I have to say he gave me great customer service! First of all he offered to give me a free rental even know the car was out of warranty, I received 07 C230 for the day. After couple of hours I received a phone call from Michael saying that they traced the problem to a leak in the A/C dryer, due to this the refrigerant was low. All the stepper motors and valves are working properly. The bill came to $850, that included new dryer and full A/C recharge.
Now I am satisfied MB customer again!
Damn, I am good... So did they still charge you for the diagnosis??
Old 08-14-2007, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by csumt76
Damn, I am good... So did they still charge you for the diagnosis??
You were right on target!!!
I guess there is a difference between what service adviser you talk to, when I was in the first time I was bumed out cause the service adviser I talked to at the time told me it's $300-400 and they will roll from there. Basically did not make me feel very confident in their service.
When I called and talk to Mike, it was completley different, he told me it's $150 for diagnostics and that will be applied towards repair. Not to mention free MB rental.
$850 is a little steep but I can live with it considering the service I recieved and the problem solved.