E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Does Keyless-go work for you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 02:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 Ford Taurus with 13" rims
Does Keyless-go work for you?

Just got my car...and I picked up keyless-go as an option. However, now that i've gotten a second to play with it...I see that the feature will not work if the key is in my pocket. In order for the feature to let me open the doors, I have to pull the key out of my pocket. The same goes for the start up....won't start if it's in my pocket. Please don't tell me I paid a thousand bucks to rid me from the hassle of bending my elbow to open a door....since so far, I already have to have the key in my hand to open and start the car.
Old 10-22-2002, 02:45 AM

glad i didnt take that option
i already have a bad feeling abou it..

btw when was keyless go first introducced in MB?
Old 10-22-2002, 03:02 AM

996 Turbo
Something is wrong with your key.... Maybe the batteries are just weak?
Old 10-22-2002, 05:58 AM

No, it works fine, check the battery or try the spare key.
Two steps away, ppl in the car can't start my engine nor open the door .
Old 10-22-2002, 08:35 AM

2013 S550
I can start it easily with the Smart Key in my pocket, but opening or locking is another story.... The info screen inside the speedometer says it doesn't recognize the key unless I take it out of my pocket.

I noticed in the manual last night that the two keys should not be stored together. The salesperson gave me mine together, and I kept both in my pocket while we programmed the car. I'm thinking I going to reset and reprogram with just the one key in my pocket and see if the lock/unlock works any better.

Also, I had my BlackBerry in my coat pocket, which hung just above the Smart Key in my pants pocket. The manual also says that's a no-no.

Let us know if you get something to work any better.

Chris
Old 10-22-2002, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i guess im lucky, everything is fine on my car, the distance is 3 feet away....also, you can lock your car from the trunk if needed
Old 10-22-2002, 08:38 PM

2013 S550
wesam,

I've run into some inconsistency with starting, but I think I may understand that problem. I'm still having issues with lock/unlock.

This is weird.

I could not lock it with the key in my pocket when I got home. I had removed everything metal from my pocket, shut off cell phone...basically overkill. I took the key out of my left pocket and put it in my shirt pocket. Still would not lock. I took it an placed it in my right pocket, along with change, magnetic money clip, etc. It locked perfectly. Tried to open. No luck. Then I realized that I was still holding the key in my hand when it locked as I had been impatient. So, I reached down in my pocket, held the key (still down in my pocket), and it locked and unlocked at will. Let go of the key...I get the "key not recognized" message.

I went inside and changed keys. It worked perfectly, as long as I was touching the key in my pocket.

Really bizarre. I'm going to play with it some more...
Old 10-23-2002, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 ML320
Sorry to hear all the frustrating troubles that some of you are having. I've posted before that I thought the whole idea was silly to begin with and that was if it worked 100% of the time for every car that has it. Now that I hear it can be dependent on where the second key is (i.e., in your wife's purse a foot away in the passenger seat) and the status of your PDA or coins in your pocket!!! They should refund your money.

This supports the adage that if it ain't broke don't fix it. The rest of us will have to trudge along pressing the remote door unlock on our keys (which BTW works in your pants or jacket pocket) though we will still have to pull it out and stick it in (no jokes) to start the ignition.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:29 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Can someone please confirm for me that even with Keyless Go, I can still use the conventional methods (i.e. press the buttons on the key or place the key in the ignition). I just want to make sure of that before I buy the keyless go option.

The way I look at it that it may not work in all cases, but most of the time I am getting into my car going or coming from work and I ususally have a hand full of stuff. With keys, I end up having to put must stuff down on the car, get out my keys, open it and then getting into the car....I know I sound like a baby, but I think I'm allowed if I am buying a $65K-$70K car...
Old 10-23-2002, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 ML320
Abhansali, it sounds like you may have one of the few good legit reasons to find this useful in that it certainly wood be a pain if my hands were often full to then have to fumble around for keys.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:20 PM

2013 S550
Abhansali,

You can use the key as if you did not have the Keyless Go option. I told the valet on Wednesday that the KG was mis-behaving, so he use the key. For some reason, everything changed to Italian & kph. That night I used the key, reset to factory setting and reprogrammed. I think it is fine now. KG will start everytime, but very difficult to lock/unlock. Still taking notes looking for a pattern.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:07 PM

2004 E500
Originally posted by Barney
Sorry to hear all the frustrating troubles that some of you are having. I've posted before that I thought the whole idea was silly to begin with and that was if it worked 100% of the time for every car that has it. Now that I hear it can be dependent on where the second key is (i.e., in your wife's purse a foot away in the passenger seat) and the status of your PDA or coins in your pocket!!! They should refund your money.

This supports the adage that if it ain't broke don't fix it. The rest of us will have to trudge along pressing the remote door unlock on our keys (which BTW works in your pants or jacket pocket) though we will still have to pull it out and stick it in (no jokes) to start the ignition.
Amen, Barney. No Keyless-Go for me, especially since you need the stupid key anyway ("keyless"???)...
Old 10-24-2002, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
umm, can you think of a better idea, do you want anyone just to come up to the carr, and it should open the dorrs, or what??
Old 10-24-2002, 06:30 PM

2004 E500
How 'bout voice control???
Old 10-24-2002, 06:37 PM

996 Turbo

You dont need to use a physical mechanical key with keyless go thats the point. It works fine on our S just walk up to the car open the door brake on and start er up....

NO problems with coins or other metallic objects even with a cellphone in the same pocket. It does make sense that it should not lock when another keyless go card is in the car because if you think about it how exatly is the car supposed to keep track of the keys?

My only wish is that our iteration of keyless go had a trunk unlock/door unlock option since sometimes other people get to the car first.....

That said we really love it and cannot imagine another Mercedes without it.
Old 10-24-2002, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
thats good to hear, i also the the system, it always works, and i like how you can lock from the trunk
Old 11-11-2002, 04:43 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500, 01 SLK320
Mine works perfectly. Can be confusing at first if you forget to step on the brake when starting.

Its kind of like driving the Batmobile or something. (I never saw Batman bother with a key)
Old 11-19-2002, 02:48 AM

2014 E350
bring it in to the shop have them take a look at it, might be a glich in the reciever for the keyless go, i have never had a problem with lock/unlocking door with keyless go....they might be able to turn up the sensativity on the car.
Old 12-01-2002, 06:34 PM
Almost a Member!

E500, ML500
Keyless-No-Go

Dear all keyless no goers

I have the same problem with my Keyless go option so does another colleague of mine that picked up an E with the same option. I had my car in the shop and they dismantled everything, found that the problem was due to a faulty transmitter. Its currently on back order, so it will be a while before we will get it to work.

I regretted getting the option but I thought that it was kinda cool to have it to show off. But it back fires on me all the time, hahahaaha. So I just use the key normally.

Keyless No Go ???????
Old 12-01-2002, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
it back fires! really, we havent had one single problem yet with it. we have never used the key yet
Old 12-01-2002, 06:45 PM
Almost a Member!

E500, ML500
Wink keyless

Lucky you
Old 12-01-2002, 08:09 PM

1992 Ford Taurus with 13" rims
Re: keyless

Wow, I'm really surprised that so many people are having this problem....it appears that a great number of defective receiver/transmitters were put on the 03' E's. I myself had the problem, but was lucky enough to get the part put on last month and avoid the shortage.
Old 12-02-2002, 03:37 PM
Almost a Member!

03 E500, 01 SLK320
Mine works fine. Once it did not recognize but I found my cell phone was on and in the same pocket. Also had a problem another time but found out I had grabbed the key from a completely different car. (duh).

And yes you can use it just like a normal key as well.

If you are having problems I would insist the dealer fix as they are not normal.
Old 12-03-2002, 12:21 AM

E500
I had the same problems too, brought the car in last week and they replaced the right rear keyless go antenna amplifier. Now the the Keyless Go works like a charm! With my key in my pocket, I just barely grasp the door handle and the door unlatches instantly. Get inside the car push down on the brake pedal, tap the button on the shifter and the car immediately starts. This is now my favorite option!
Old 12-03-2002, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally posted by steveyoyo
I had the same problems too, brought the car in last week and they replaced the right rear keyless go antenna amplifier. Now the the Keyless Go works like a charm! With my key in my pocket, I just barely grasp the door handle and the door unlatches instantly. Get inside the car push down on the brake pedal, tap the button on the shifter and the car immediately starts. This is now my favorite option!

yea, i think it is awesome, the fact you can just tap a button, and the engine starts is very cool, i hope ppl like it when they get it fixed though

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does Keyless-go work for you?