Launch Promotion Fold Down Rear Seats and Storage Space

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2002, 02:56 PM
jhb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
Launch Promotion Fold Down Rear Seats and Storage Space

I had ordered the E500 with the E4 package. That was delayed. But, the car was delivered Monday and what I did get what was called the "Launch Promotion Fold Down Rear Seats" for $100. From what I gather from the literature, the only differences: no ski bag and the front passenger seat back does not fold forward.

As the fold foward passenger front seat back that is pictured in the owner's manual is upholstered in leather anyway, I doubt I would use it except in rare circumstances, if ever. It would not be protected with a carpeted surface.

We have now used the fold down seats for two trips to the garden shop and the room provided is awesome. I doubt many station wagons or standard sized SUVs have more surface room (as opposed to height). In our last trip we got in 10 pallets of plants without squeezing. The mechanism is very simple to use and has a really interesting engineered method for the headrests to foldback automatically. Many station wagons I have seen require that you remove the headrests in order to fold the seat back down. Not so with the E500.

On the subject of storage space, the side benefit of an inflatable spare is a decent sized storage area below the trunk deck above the spare. It is molded and carpeted.

Kudos to MB.
Old 10-25-2002, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
fold down seats

Jhb:
Thanks for your description. I have ordered the "launch promotion" fold down rear seats as I did not have a need for the whole E4 package. Nice to know that it adds to the E500.

Ed
Old 10-26-2002, 12:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Fold Down Option

I would always recommend this as an option (if available)...because there will most certainly will be a time or two when you HAVE to carry something that won't fit into the trunk space. I had this happen with a Bimmer of ours. The stuff went into the backseat that ultimately resulted in it getting torn. And this wasn't a car we would normally use to "haul" stuff around in; we just needed to at that particular time.
Old 10-26-2002, 03:26 AM

E320 CDI Elegance auto
Hi

In most other cars this is standard, I am amazed that in a car costing this much that you have to pay extra, I also had to in my C Class