E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Accuracy of ETA feature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Porsche 997 Black Sport Exhaust, '06 Mercedes E350 4MATIC Iridium Silver Apper+Prem Package
Accuracy of ETA feature

I recently updated the Command Software which adds ETA feature to the navigation and then had a 12 hour road trip from Seattle to Redwood National Park via US-101. I thought that this could be a chance to try out the new ETA feature. I brought my latest Garmin Nuvi 660 to compare

When I was half way there, I turned on my Garmin to compare the ETA. Surprisingly (or not surprisingly) there was 3 hour difference between two units. When I arrived at the destination, it turned out that it was the Mercedes Nav which was off by 3 hours(It said it's gonna take 3 hours longer than Garmin). What a disappointment!

I hope that there is more updates soon which could provide the better accuracy on this convenient feature.

Last edited by Heejin; 09-13-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Almost a Member!

Silver 2004 E500 4Matic
Do you have the most recent Nav CD. Maybe there were some speed limit changes that could have made a difference. Probably not enough to cause a 3 hour difference but might help a bit. I recently took a 3 hour trip from Hatfield, PA to Ocean City, MD and my ETA was maybe 15 min off (I drive fast). Thats without the update tho.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 296 Likes on 248 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
How long was the trip, in miles and time wise?

I assume the MB system giving a pessimistic estimate, they have to take care of the liability issues and should not encourage people driving too fast.

I've seen similar accuracy on my W221 ETA as George explained. The system cannot estimate if you will be driving a lot faster/slower than average on that road, if you had been driving 3 hours differently, the MB would have been on the spot and Garmin 3 hours off

Did you read the ETA before starting the trip or during the trip? I'm not sure but I assume the car takes into account "the speed so far", if you happen to drive slow first, it would assume the same for the rest of the trip.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:35 PM

'06 Porsche 997 Black Sport Exhaust, '06 Mercedes E350 4MATIC Iridium Silver Apper+Prem Package
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
How long was the trip, in miles and time wise?

I assume the MB system giving a pessimistic estimate, they have to take care of the liability issues and should not encourage people driving too fast.

I've seen similar accuracy on my W221 ETA as George explained. The system cannot estimate if you will be driving a lot faster/slower than average on that road, if you had been driving 3 hours differently, the MB would have been on the spot and Garmin 3 hours off

Did you read the ETA before starting the trip or during the trip? I'm not sure but I assume the car takes into account "the speed so far", if you happen to drive slow first, it would assume the same for the rest of the trip.
The trip was around 560 miles and took 12 hours.(As some of you might know, US-101 is pretty curvy and narrow road.) The ETA was pretty consistent until I was getting pretty close to destination. I think ETA started to change when the remaining time was less than 2 hours in Garmin Nav. Eventually, the ETA became close to the Garmin Nav by the time I was arriving

Last edited by Heejin; 09-13-2007 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 296 Likes on 248 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Heejin
The trip was around 560 miles and took 12 hours.(As some of you might know, US-101 is pretty curvy and narrow road.) The ETA was pretty consistent until I was getting pretty close to destination. I think ETA started to change when the remaining time was less than 2 hours in Garmin Nav. Eventually, the ETA became close to the Garmin Nav by the time I was arriving
OK, does not sound right if it was close to 3 hours off while already approaching the destination.