E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

04 E320 Steering Wheel Shaking!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320
Question 04 E320 Steering Wheel Shaking!!!

I'm wondering if I can get clarification from the knowledgeable people here on an issue that started yesterday.

I replaced my stock 16's with a set of AMG 18's I got from a guy with a wrecked E55. I had the tire shop replace the tires with the same size and brand / model tires that come on the E55 new. Ever since I got this done, my car shakes badly. It starts at a low speed, but increases gradually with speed. On the highway, I can take my hand off the wheel for a minute, and you can literally see the steering wheel shake left and right (in a twisting motion as if an invisible force was turning the wheel left and right rapidly).

I brought the car back today, and they checked the balance first. This was ok, and I watched them road force the wheels / tires and there was no evident vibration, and the computer said it was perfect. Then they took the tires off the wheels and had this computer arm that measured the rims for any deflection to see if they were bent or not, and this also checked out, they aren't bent at all. The guy at the shop (Dirty South Customs in NC) and have seen a lot of work they have done on MB's. The lead tech there said that the problem is with the alignment. He said that because the tires are wider now, and the fronts are slightly narrower than the rears, that the car is now aligned wrong. he said that I should have been notified that this was possible when I had them installed.

So my question is... does this sound like BS? I mean, I've heard of the alignment making the car pull one direction or another, but making the steering wheel shake? If it's true, let me know, I will get it done. I will probably get it done anyway, just to be sure. Also, I don't think they are trying to scam me, because they offered to put my stockies back on and refund my tire purchase in full (even thought they have 110 miles on them, they keep the tires of course).

Sorry so long, but I wanted to be thorough. Also, my car isn't a 4MATIC.

Thanks for your help in advance...
Old 09-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by i12flytoday
It starts at a low speed, but increases gradually with speed. On the highway, I can take my hand off the wheel for a minute, and you can literally see the steering wheel shake left and right (in a twisting motion as if an invisible force was turning the wheel left and right rapidly).
Bring it in to the dealer and mention DTB P-B-33.15/16a it may be that they need to replace the hydro-mount or partially hollow torque strut rubber style bushings with solid rubber bushings.