E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Any love, or not, for the E500 4-Matic Wagon?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Trivia

Don't know if this would sway your decision one way or t'other, but...Angelina Jolie drives a MB Wagon to escape Brad, in the move Mr & Mrs Smith. It's the scene when they first fight at home, and Angelina jumps in a car to escape, and Brad chases her through the neighbourhood gardens on foot. Not sure the exact model, but mos-def a MB Wagon.

I watched this movie a couple of times without taking note of this. Now that I have a Merc myself, all I see these days are other Merc's.

Anyway, if it's good enough for Angelina, 'tis good enough for me
Old 10-08-2007, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
that was a C240 wagon.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by wae320
I have driven pretty much all the all wheel drive wagons and have owned several (E320, 325, Volvo XC70, Passat). The Audi's are nice, but don't really have anything on the Mercedes or BMW. They aren't as sport as the bimmer and not as cushy as the Benz. My neighbors have an allroad and A6 wagon, both purchased used, and both have had a ton of problems. I'd avoid them...
The arguments could go the other way as well
Old 10-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Received 99 Likes on 58 Posts
18 E63s Wagon 15 GL63 (sold), 10 Turbo TT MT, A36 Bonanza, 20 JLU Rubicon
Gas Mileage...
19.9 on the hwy.. realistic
22 hwy with a tailwind...
10 in the city (NYC) probably more like 13 in a typical midwestern town...

once you have the glitches taken care of... the car is perfect. I had some original issues that could have easily been done in one shot but by the failure of the dealer.. wound up having to be fixed over a number of visits.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:43 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
I know this is getting off topic (but any excuse to see some lovely Angelina pics, while...pretending to look for MB news, while...pretending to work) but this article says it is a C320 Wagon.

http://www.forbesautos.com/advice/to...mrs_smith.html
"...In one memorable scene, Mr. and Mrs. Smith both leave for "work" in their respective vehicles: his is a Cadillac CTS-V and hers is a Mercedes-Benz C320..."
Old 10-08-2007, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Hmmm, I coulda sworn I saw the C240 badging in the back. I'll have to watch the movie again.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:55 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Well, this gives me another excuse to watch the movie tonight also.

"It's for my forum buddies honey!!".

....run away!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:50 PM

My parents just picked up an 2004 E500 4Matic wagon with 33K miles and an in-service date of 10/2004 (so they have another year to work out any gremlins). The car has every option (sport, comfort, entertainment, nav, distronic) except for the sliding floor and parktronic. They drove 7 hours to buy it for $33K and are absolutely delighted.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by jallison12
Well, this gives me another excuse to watch the movie tonight also.

"It's for my forum buddies honey!!".

....run away!!!
LOL, nice! I'm sure she'll love that excuse
Old 10-09-2007, 09:26 AM

2004 E500 4Matic Wagon
Got my 04 E500 4Matic wagon CPO in August 05. As someone else said, got the gremlins worked out over the course of several (because of inept work) dealer visits, then it is perfect. It was loaded to begin with, and I also did some MBenzNL updates, and really love the car. I did a 6500 mile trip in it last summer. It's a great road car. Fully loaded and making good time I got 21 MPG averaging a bit higher than 80 MPH.

If I were looking to buy again, I'd search for another 04. That's because I'd want to get one that was loaded, and a few of the options were not available after 04. There were no 03 wagons as far as I know, and from what I've read and heard there were more gremlins to be worked out of the 03s.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Well, I did watch the movie. I think I see both a a C240 and a C320.

When Brad crashes into the back seat and Angelina jumps out, I think that is a C240. As the car zooms to crash, Brad is looking out the rear window, and as the car pulls away I am sure I saw a 4 in the number.

Later they are racing back to the house. Brad is about to turn into the driveway in his Caddy, and then Angelina crashes into his passenger side. Then she barges past him to get to the house first. As she bumps past him I think I see C320 on the back.

Maybe...I should watch it again tonight? Just to be sure
Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 PM

05 E500 Wagon
Hmm, I think I'm gonna have to see this movie.
Anyway I picked up a 05 E500 wagon CPO a couple of months ago and like it alot. As mentioned I looked at a bunch of wagons and this one was the largest in its class. The car drives great, has a bunch of power and handles well. I got the extended warranty over the CPO so I'm good to go for a while. Its been back to the dealer twice and they finally fixed the rubbing in the brakes (I think). The wife drives the car mostly so I have not been keeping an eye on the mpg, when I drive I don't care . Good Luck.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 PM

C320 CDI Estate, E500 4M Wagon
Mine needed some work (warranty) immediately after I bought it - got 2 new front axles and new lower A-arms, new rear upper bushings (don't know which ones), the first week. A month later (3 days ago) I then had the SRS light, and took it in (new steering column wiring/sensor) and when I went to get it today, and open the tailgate in the dealer parking lot, the car was dead! So back in I went (good thing I didn't return my C-class loaner) with the keys. Got two new batteries, they tell me. After searching the forum it looks like all the common issues have been replaced by now, thanks to MB.

We'll see if my 'issues' period is over...

I bought an Audi last year - over the course of 6 months, dealer replaced all rotors+pads, 4 upper control arms, Tie rod ends, 2 motor mounts, oil cooler, 2 coolant hoses, rear leveling suspension 'air' shocks, rear wiper motor, interior door pockets. All were worn out in 60K miles. Nice to have a warranty.

Smash
Old 10-12-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'98 C43/55 AMG Speedybenz Susp. & MBenzNL On Board -- '88 560SL -- '09 JCW MINI -- '97 Jeep TJ Sport
Originally Posted by sammyshammy
Hmm, I think I'm gonna have to see this movie.
Funny ... I flipped around the channels to see if there was any action playing and what do I see running? this movie! It was past the scenes with the wagons tho as far as I could tell (when the two of them are getting it on after the house shooting/destruction scene). Had to get to bed so I didn't stay past a few minutes.

Kewl to see the love!

Ya, I keep going between pursuing the E500 or Audi allroad 2.7T 6-sp or S6 Avant or, for a fleeting few minutes, a BMW 5-series X wagon... last lasted only about 5 minutes. That's out for sure now. (new wagon body/nose is just so hideous)

I'd do E500 as I can sex her up with the MBenzNL modz (would love to host Steve and all the folks he's mod'n @ my house again) ... and I have that person Carl set me up with who's become a friend who did my C43->55 engine swap and is now mechanically redoing my 560SL. I would consider de-badging her and installing the E55 Compressor motor he has in the E500, changine ECUs etc to that of an E55. (don't kill me or be turned off ... just the kinda guy I am )

I'd do the Audi allroad 2.7T to have a manual tranni for my daily driver, which I absolutely love having, and hop it up with exhaust, a big turbo, selectable ECU, etc. Only (major) prob, I don't have a guy for Audi the way I do for Benz to trust implicitly not only hop it up, but be able to tell the most obscure issue I'm finding with the car, and to get the right answer w/o hesitation as to what needs to be replaced/repaired. S6? I doubt it for the 'small' engine and only auto tranni, but it's still a (clight) possibility. maybe if the price is right, but they go for more then I think they're worth @ the moment.

So with all that said, Yes, I experienced extreme incompitance from dealership warranty repairs over the years with my C43. Luckily [most] all was finally worked out before it went out of warranty. Then thanx to ProjectC55 I met Jeffery, mb mech extraordinaire. Knowing how important it is to have a mechanic you can trust to do a fantastic job, it'll should be the E500. After what I've read there's no question it'll be with warranty if I decide to leave her mechanically mostly alone (Steve MBenzNL additions notwithstanding). Probably will chance w/o warranty if I decide I'll switch engines within 10,000 or so miles.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:50 AM

Great, great car, especially used. When someone else pays the depreciation, you get a good deal.

Ours (a 2004) was purchased with 33K miles for $33K a couple months ago, with the remainder (1 year) of factory warranty + service. It's fully loaded with a original MSRP of around $75K, with Distronic, Appearance, Comfort, Nav, Entertainment, Premium, Heated Steering, Phone Cradle. In fact, I'm not really sure if there were any options this car doesn't have. It looks and drives like a brand new car and is Capri Blue with Pacific Blue interior.

The car has reasonable fuel economy and is faster than a 2003 Audi S6 wagon which is supposed to have 38 more hp. With the suspension in S2 mode this is not a mere wagon- it's a GT car that gobbles up roads and with better weight distribution than the sedan, it probably wouldn't be too bad on a track either.

One bit of advice- upgrade the stock tires regardless of wear- the stock ContiTouringContacts are crap. ContiExtremeContacts are the some of the best all season high performance tires ever made, and only cost $100 per on Tire Rack.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:25 PM

Hi All...contemplating a purchase of an E500 4Matic wagon...I would go with 19 inch rims, perhaps a black out or custom (tasteful) grill...a couple of questions:

1) Can the car be lowered? i realize that it has air suspension but some companies make lowering modules?
2) Anyone have any pics of trick E500 wagons they can share, I'd appreciate it.
3) Lastly: Can a wagon be cool?

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by AMGSport

Thanks!
No. But if your head won't permit a mini van or Cute UTE, and you need to drag around kids & their stuff, you'll be in a Benz at least, as long as you don't look at what's in the space behind your seat. ...and forget admiring glances from the chicks at the stop light.

But do what you gotta do.
Old 06-14-2008, 03:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGSport
Hi All...contemplating a purchase of an E500 4Matic wagon...I would go with 19 inch rims, perhaps a black out or custom (tasteful) grill...a couple of questions:

1) Can the car be lowered? i realize that it has air suspension but some companies make lowering modules?
2) Anyone have any pics of trick E500 wagons they can share, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
1), The air suspension has a control switch inside that I believe lowers the car in both of the sport settings. Also, I would not go larger than the 18" amg or sport wheels, the ride will be extremely harsh. Remember, they have to be the same size all around on the 4-matic.

3. Very possible: http://www.mbusa.com/models/main.do?modelCode=E63S
Old 06-15-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
There was a black E63 wagon at the dealer when I was there last week.

Looked like Darth Vadar's wife's car.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
No. But if your head won't permit a mini van or Cute UTE, and you need to drag around kids & their stuff, you'll be in a Benz at least, as long as you don't look at what's in the space behind your seat. ...and forget admiring glances from the chicks at the stop light.

But do what you gotta do.
To me a wagon is far preferable to a mini van. I don't need off road capability, and I like lower ride height, so an SUV is out for me as well.

I've got an older Volvo V70R AWD wagon and love the utility, AWD, and while not necessarily "sporty", it handles well and gets out its own way.

Thought about an R500 but for the miles I put on a vehicle they are still too pricey.