E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New Key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Key

Anyone know a good site where I can buy a spare key for a decent price?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 204 Likes on 181 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The ONLY place you can buy one is a dealer.

Some are better than others.

How are you going to prove ownership to an online seller?

Perhaps I'll just walk up to your car, jot down your VIN and order a key?

Face-to-face purchase is the only way.

Think about it.
Old 10-07-2007, 12:36 PM

not true, there has been a post on the classified section about getting a key for 68.00 and it wasnt from the dealer. That member is waiting for the key to arrive before he gives out the web site.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 A8L 4.2
Originally Posted by lkchris
How are you going to prove ownership to an online seller?
It can be done, many here have. I ordered mine from OEMPARTSDIRECT.COM, on the other side of the country, faxed my registration to them and they sent the key, as long as all addresses match (credit card, registration and shipping), they are good to go.

Edward
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
I ended up just order from the dealer.

2 Keys = $347. Roslyn Rallye MB

I got 2 as my car is preowned and I only got given one key. So, I wanted 2 replacements, with different programming, so the old missing key would be useless.

The guy who was trying for the $68 deal got called on it at the very last moment, if I read the thread correctly. The company contacted him at the last moment with the 9999 suffix change. Then the price went back up to $120-ish.

The oempartsdirect was a little cheaper, but only a little. Plus, if anything should go wrong for me, I can just call my dealer, rather than emailing the west coast or something. That was my logic.

Still think it's stealing though - the total cost of parts cannot be much. Then they just move the decimal point 2 places to the right, and hey presto, MB MSRP!! You know, this could be how they do it, the more I think about it. (dip stick cost=$1.50; MSRP=$150.00).

I just better get a free key fob for both of them, I just bloody better, that's all And a golf shirt....and a travel mug...
Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by unclebenz
not true, there has been a post on the classified section about getting a key for 68.00 and it wasnt from the dealer. That member is waiting for the key to arrive before he gives out the web site.
This must be coming from the same source as for the dealer anyway?

Are you saying that the key works on the car without any Star coding to activate it?
Old 10-08-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by jallison12
I ended up just order from the dealer.

2 Keys = $347. Roslyn Rallye MB

I got 2 as my car is preowned and I only got given one key. So, I wanted 2 replacements, with different programming, so the old missing key would be useless.

The guy who was trying for the $68 deal got called on it at the very last moment, if I read the thread correctly. The company contacted him at the last moment with the 9999 suffix change. Then the price went back up to $120-ish.

The oempartsdirect was a little cheaper, but only a little. Plus, if anything should go wrong for me, I can just call my dealer, rather than emailing the west coast or something. That was my logic.

Still think it's stealing though - the total cost of parts cannot be much. Then they just move the decimal point 2 places to the right, and hey presto, MB MSRP!! You know, this could be how they do it, the more I think about it. (dip stick cost=$1.50; MSRP=$150.00).

I just better get a free key fob for both of them, I just bloody better, that's all And a golf shirt....and a travel mug...

That wasn't very nice of Rallye. Better to make extra keys part of the deal when you buy the car. Then they get thrown in as freebies. At least one it seems was called for as new ones come with two.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:36 PM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
Nah, I didn't get the car at Rallye. Bought in PA, from a private dealer. He gave me a helluva deal, so I wasn't gonna moan about keys. But when I joined MB owners online they hooked me up with the Roslyn location as "my" dealer. I surfed around this forum and the 'net for a few weeks trying to find a more reasonable price. But I got the impression prices were going up, not down. So, I just bit the bullet and faxed in the order.

However, in surfing here, I do recall someone posting that they eventually ordered from the dealer, and when they went to pick up they got a free key fob. He may have been a long time customer, I dunno. But just waiting to see what Rallye does. I haven't spend .01c there before, so I can guess what I'm gonna get for free
jim

Last edited by jallison12; 10-08-2007 at 04:40 PM.