E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

COMAND Service Menu Access

Old 10-06-2007, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury fully loaded
COMAND Service Menu Access

I'm looking for information on how I can access the hidden COMAND menu that would let me see what version of the Navigation & COMAND software has been loaded.

I've posted this problem elsewhere in the forum. My 2007.1 version Navigation DVD does not work correctly-it will not plot a direct route to some of my destinations. A 2006.2 version I tried from an 2008 E350, just delivered to the dealer, works fine. Sidebar: why are the 08 E350's coming with an older version of the Nav DVD's? My dealer installed the 2007.1 Nav DVD 2 weeks ago and said that the Nav & COMAND Software were updated to the latest versions. I'd like to check it our for myself

Thanks
James
Old 10-06-2007, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
AHA! That is what I suspected... that my 2008 came with an older version of the DVD as I cannot enter house numbers (only ranges).

I would appreciate the Comand Service Mode access info as well. I have a 2008 E350. I tried SERV, RPT, END and it didn't work.

Thanks in advance!

Jose
Old 10-06-2007, 07:17 PM

Does anyone with a 08 E350 have the 2007.1 version of the Nav DVD? The version number is on the DVD label. You can find out by Popping the DVD out of the Naigation unit in the trunk, behind the pop-open panel on left side, and look on the label to the right of the car pictures. We'd appreciate knowing
Thanks
James
Old 10-06-2007, 07:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Mavrogenis
I'm looking for information on how I can access the hidden COMAND menu that would let me see what version of the Navigation & COMAND software has been loaded.
To check COMAND head unit software for latest version check to see if you have the choice to display GPS or ETA during route guidance. If not:

COMAND SW = Service disc W211589142200 installed free under warranty by mentioning DTB P-B-82.60/382b.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,411 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by baxterdown
my 2008 came with an older version of the DVD
If you took delivery JUL07 or after and upon inspection you do not have disc 2007.1 you are entitled to a no cost update.

Navigation map SW = 2007.1 (MBUSA part # BQ6460229) released JUL07
Old 10-06-2007, 07:57 PM

konigstiger,
Do you know if the 2007.1 DVD is completely compatible with an 04 E320 Nav system with the "latest" COMAND/NAV software updates? If it is then I can't understand why a 2006.2 DVD correctly shows a direct route from my home in North Sonoma County California to San Francisco along the 101 Fwy and the 2007.1 DVD shows a route that either takes my out to the coast, down Hwy 1 then back East to the Golden Gate Bridge into SF or if I'm half way to SF it routes me East across the Richmond Bridge to Richmond CA, South to Oakland, Across the Bay Bridge to SF. And yes, none of the Mode options (Avoid freeways, etc are selected, the selection boxes are blank)
BTW, regardless of what route I'm on, the car's location is accurate within about 200 feet at all times. What could be wrong?
Thanks
James
Old 10-06-2007, 08:01 PM

konigstiger,
Just saw your post after finishing mine. I can select GPS or ETA so I do have the latest software. Does that point to a bad DVD there's no sign of damage. The dealer has ordered another copy. I'll post the results of my test when I can get my hands on it. What else could be going on?
Thanks
James
Old 10-06-2007, 08:48 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Mavrogenis, I have disk 2007.1. I took delivery last Sunday (Oct 1st). I am having similar problems to you. The other day I was about 2 miles away from my house (direct shot on a fairly well traveled street). I hit "Home" on the nav and the freaking thing send me down the main street for five blocks, told me to make a right turn and and immediate left, made me go into a neighborhood and travel parallel to the main street for about 10 blocks before telling me to make a left turn to bring me back onto the main street (ridiculous!).

Konistiger, I don't have the option of ETA or GPS. I went out to the car and chose a POI and hit Start Route Guidance. While I didn't move the car I did go through all available menus on the Comand unit and didn't see anything that said ETA or GPS. Do I have to actually be moving to see them?

If anyone else knows the buttons to press in order to access service mode, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

j.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:31 PM

baxterdown,

Well, If you have the same problem with crazy routing then I'll bet that this is a systemic problem. A problem similar to installing the latest version of a program in a computer running an old operating system and the program won't work. I suspect that the 2007.1 DVD requires some COMAND software tweaks that MB hasn't gotten around to providing. Believing this is the problem, I wrote a length e-mail to Navtech, the company that produces these DVD's. I told them of the problem I'm having & asked if it could be because my MB COMAND "computer" is running an old operating system & their 2007.1 program won't work correctly. I sent the e-mail today so it may take a few days to get a response. I'm also going to see if I can find out who the MB Zone rep is for the west coast & talk to him/her about this problem.
I'll post what I learn as we go along
Thanks
James
BTW, here's the answer to your question "I don't have the option of ETA or GPS"
This will work even in a garage.
1. Pick a destination & "Start route guidance"
2. after you hear the voice follow the arrow on the display" press any soft key(button)
3. then press the "Display" button on the right side
4. then, within a few seconds or the options disappear, press the "MAP" button on the left side. You'll see 3 options "Time of arrival/distance",
"Current location..." and "No Display"
The default will be the Time of arrival (also known as ETA)
If that's selected then press the "Map" button on the Main COMAND control panel (next to the NAV button). A map of your route will be displayed and at the bottom you'll see a checkered flag with a mileage number next to it a clock face with the ETA.
If you select "Current location.." you'll see your exact latitude/longitude & if the antenna can see a few GPS satellites, it will display your altitude & the number of satellites it sees.

See if this works
Thanks for your help. We may be close to understanding the problem
James
Old 10-07-2007, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350 4M
just got my car one week ago and it has 2007.1 in it, today was testing out nav and i gotta say its a bit ****ty it rerouted me through the longest route i've ever took in my life.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:56 PM

2021 E450 4matic
I just got mine a few weeks ago and only used the nav once. So far seems ok, but I saw someone mention above that their system also shows "ranges' instead of a direct house number. I noticed that as well when I took delivery-they guy told me it was "privacy concerns" which I thought was BS - my Audi had exact location as does every Hertz rental car with "Forever lost". Is the system supposed to give direct address and I just have an old version? Or is this privacy BS true?
Old 10-08-2007, 02:46 PM

2008 Mercedes Benz E350
Originally Posted by LRM1
I just got mine a few weeks ago and only used the nav once. So far seems ok, but I saw someone mention above that their system also shows "ranges' instead of a direct house number. I noticed that as well when I took delivery-they guy told me it was "privacy concerns" which I thought was BS - my Audi had exact location as does every Hertz rental car with "Forever lost". Is the system supposed to give direct address and I just have an old version? Or is this privacy BS true?
I also took delivery on October 2nd, 2007 on my E350 and my salesman said the same thing. Is this true or no?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:55 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Hi, back to the original purpose of this thread... does anyone know how to access the Comand Service Mode?
Old 10-19-2007, 06:23 AM

W211 / E280
Originally Posted by Cleve_E350
I also took delivery on October 2nd, 2007 on my E350 and my salesman said the same thing. Is this true or no?
I would think that with the overall attitude to sue others and the privacy issues raised it is very much true. Think about it, would a victim have a case against Mercedes if someone who owned a MB typed in the address of the victim to be and was directed to said victims house by the MB NAV system and then this someone went inside and killed a few members of the victims family? Any real lawyers here? Case or not?
Old 10-19-2007, 06:34 AM

2004 S55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakarta Expat
I would think that with the overall attitude to sue others and the privacy issues raised it is very much true. Think about it, would a victim have a case against Mercedes if someone who owned a MB typed in the address of the victim to be and was directed to said victims house by the MB NAV system and then this someone went inside and killed a few members of the victims family? Any real lawyers here? Case or not?
Case? WTF?! Is that even a remotely serious questions?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:44 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
.. was directed to said victims house by the MB NAV system and then this someone went inside and killed a few members of the victims family?
Ever heard of the white pages, or the internet? .. .. Where do you think all that junk mail comes from?

Finding addresses is not that difficult.. ..there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Almost a Member!

W211
Comand hidden menu

I think you guys talking about the Engineering Menu access. It only works with older firmware of the COMAND, the newer firmware (with ETA display) disabled access to the Engineering Menu from the keypad, but still accessible through SDS.
To access it with older firmware, press "Mute" then "SERV" and "END" all three buttons (please do that in this order). Within 5 seconds, you should see the hidden menu and then you can find out what software/firmware version of your COMAND has. Good luck!
Old 10-20-2007, 06:05 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Hey cocacola,

Thanks for the clarification. I assume SDS stands for Star Diagnogstic System, right? if that's the case, we're SOL! :-)

j.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 245 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by cocacola
I think you guys talking about the Engineering Menu access. It only works with older firmware of the COMAND, the newer firmware (with ETA display) disabled access to the Engineering Menu from the keypad, but still accessible through SDS.
What I've seen is that an updated SDS system would have reduced options to control, like not any more able to turn on video in motion. But other settings are still accessible, like destination entry in motion.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:45 AM

W211 / E280
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden
Case? WTF?! Is that even a remotely serious questions?
So then why did MB stop the entering of addresses and switch to ranges. ANybidy can get sued for anything in the States and a case can be made but hey you know more answers than I do so tell us why MB changed this please.......
Old 10-21-2007, 10:47 AM

W211 / E280
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
Ever heard of the white pages, or the internet? .. .. Where do you think all that junk mail comes from?

Finding addresses is not that difficult.. ..there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.
Same question dfferent know it all.....

So then why did MB stop the entering of addresses and switch to ranges. ANybidy can get sued for anything in the States and a case can be made but hey you know more answers than I do so tell us why MB changed this please.......
Old 10-21-2007, 07:00 PM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Same question dfferent know it all.....

All of my W211 nav systems have been address ranges and not precise addresses. 04 E320; 05 E500; 08 E550
Old 10-22-2007, 12:24 AM

GL350
I live in the city and some adresses come up in a range and some are precise..
Old 12-15-2012, 03:25 AM

05 E320 CDI
Comand Version 46-06

Updated my 05 E320 CDI to 46-06

Worked smooth... previously mentioned additions are there... including the background having an E-class on the left and I think S-Class on the right... used to be only E class on left.

The most annoying thing is Nav in motion is gone... the letters are grayed out until I come to a stop. Although, I'm curious about some previous comments that make me wonder if there is weight in the passenger seat if it'll work.

I have access to the Engineering Menu,

Which now is is:

Serv -> Lang
Then Phone End + Upper Left Arrow + Audio

Before update was:
Audio
Mute + Phone End + Serv

Can't find anywhere on the web posting the secret menu code to allow me to get into the driver distraction area once in Engineering mode.

Please help.

Also, I have an OLD nav disk, any recommendations on which version I can upgrade to without causing problems?

Thanks

Last edited by wwwerrrt; 12-15-2012 at 03:30 AM. Reason: additional comment