E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Lexus ES350 Vs. MB E350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Sit down...you are in for a shock

BMW makes theMini and it is...FWD. Second, most buyers in Europe who own BMW 1-Series think it is...FWD. Third, BMW has announced that they WILL build FWD cars sold as BMW's in the near future. MB will not be far behind, US mileage standards will require it.

Acura has built FWD high quality cars for years. Audi has been building high quality high price FWD cars for years. In fact, they have very few RWD models.

You are VERY wrong.

Originally Posted by gnma
Cannot compare FWD ES350 to MB E350. Direct competitor to E Class is the Lexus GS. (Ever noticed that neither MB, BMW or any high-end scale automobile manufacturer does not make one model that is FWD)? And I hope they never do IMO.

IMO - Keep a FWD vehicle for grocery-go-getting, and keep a RWD for driving pleasure, or get an AWD (4MATIC), and be done with it.

Good luck!
Old 07-20-2011, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 886 Likes on 636 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by nopcbs
BMW makes theMini and it is...FWD. Second, most buyers in Europe who own BMW 1-Series think it is...FWD. Third, BMW has announced that they WILL build FWD cars sold as BMW's in the near future. MB will not be far behind, US mileage standards will require it.

Acura has built FWD high quality cars for years. Audi has been building high quality high price FWD cars for years. In fact, they have very few RWD models.

You are VERY wrong.

Just for curiosity: What does FWD/RWD have to do with fuel consumption? In general, AWD cars use a little bit more fuel than FWD or RWD cars but why would there be a difference between FWD and RWD cars?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 GLC 300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Arrie
Just for curiosity: What does FWD/RWD have to do with fuel consumption? In general, AWD cars use a little bit more fuel than FWD or RWD cars but why would there be a difference between FWD and RWD cars?
lol are u serious?
Old 07-20-2011, 01:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
Originally Posted by TheGreatOne45
lol are u serious?
I'm just as dumb please enlighten me guru.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:20 AM

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
2020 GLS450, 2022 SL55 AMG, 2022 C300
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Not the same calibre of car, and not a "drivers car", but it will be a pleasant ownership experience, and you'll likely never have an unexpected visit to the service department. If Mercedes were as dependable and with fully developed electronics like lexus, there would never have been a Lexus in the 1st place.
LEXUS -DEPENDABLE??? These days when Lexus was #1 in reliability are long gone... Especially the last 2010 year was the biggest disaster in Lexus/Toyota history ever. They had more recalls than Buick. When Toyota was a simple car with 4 wheels and 1 steering wheel there was nothing to go wrong with it - that's when it was reliable. But once they started to create serious machines with serious technology to compete against automotive giants - that's where they started to get in trouble.

Somebody mentioned FWD Acura: the reason Acura's sales is dead in U.S., is because ACURA is really a Honda with different badge on the trunk, leather, sunroof and some extra buttons. At least Lexus has a real luxury design, completely different from Toyota (except ES and RX).

Obviously FWD is cheaper to build than RWD, but you can't compare the quality, safety, performance and handling to the RWD. That's why all high performance sports car and luxury cars are RWD. Even cops drive FORD RWD Crown Victorias Police Interceptors. They are not stupid...
Old 07-20-2011, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320
buy a vey nice comfy,luxury house in baltimore, or get a nice house in florida,palm beach.thats the difference in my point of view sometimes the name talks,i ve driven lexus but its just....not good enough as mercedes...i mean...its a mercedes.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 886 Likes on 636 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by TheGreatOne45
lol are u serious?

Yes. I have never heard that FWD car would be better for fuel mileage so would you provide an explanation. I want to learn.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E550 4Matic, 2002 M3 Vert
Had a GS350. Hated almost everything about it except the tech stuff. My E is head and shoulders above anything Lexus makes imo. Even the LS. The ES, well I wouldn't even begin comparing the two. Get yourself an E but make sure you get at least a 2009 so the electronics are at least passable. 2008 and earlier are a complete joke.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Reality...

...sucks, does it not?

I believe it is Aston Martin that intends to sell a very expensive ($36,000) rebadged small FWD Japanese car under their own brand in the near future.

Not to worry, the other brands will follow soon enough as the fleet average mpg requirements keep going up and up and up.

- nopcbs

Originally Posted by gnma
Wow! I stand corrected. What is the world coming to. I have to modify my prior statement:

"No high-end automobile manufacturer such as Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Maserati, RR, or Bentley make FWD cars".....

To the OP, good luck. U did mention you like to DIY. Research how user-friendly the LExus is. That could help your decision.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E350
I currently own a 2006 E350 MB and I too compared it with the Lexus ES and GS. I owned an ES300 Lexus prior to this Mercedes. It was the best car I have ever owned and traded it with 194K miles on it and it looked amazing still. It never once not started on me with the exception of a dead battery. I would have bought another Lexus in a minute if the mid year 2000's weren't so damn ugly!! My belief is that the Lexus is a far more reliable and dependable car. It rides better and has better acceleration. My MB and others I test drove did not have the quick pick up that the Lexus did (Toyota engine). I like my MB and it is a beautiful car and body style but it is far more expensive to fix and even generally maintain than a Lexus (still expensive though). As someone else mentioned here, if money is not an issue, than an MB is ok. I simply worry all the time about something going wrong with my MB and before my year anniversary of owning I already have had to replace the rear view mirror as garage controls weren't working and my seat frame and motor aren't working either and it wasn't covered under the MB certified warranty! Only a month into owning it, a huge nail punctured the side wall of my tire. Bye Bye $375 for ONE run flat tire that had to match the other three!!! I could have nearly replaced all tires on my Lexus for that. Parts are an issue to get with an MB. Dealers control most of that where on a Lexus, secondary parts may be available rather than dealer parts and they work as well. You have more options on where you can take it to get services also. Check out insurance rates as they will be higher for an MB. Just depends for what you are searching. Reliability, expense, status, or looks. Good luck!