E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Can I pair two phones with BT puck?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
Can I pair two phones with BT puck?

I have my iPhone paired to my car and it works beautifully (address book download, etc). Today I tried to pair my partner's phone to the car and I couldn't get it to work. His phone is a Razr and it always paired to my previous car (BMW) without a problem.

Does the BT puck allows you to pair more than one phone? Also, if it does, how does it handle priority; first paird = #1 or last paired = #1?

I have the latest puck, PN B6 7 87 5878.

Thanks

j.

Last edited by baxterdown; 10-08-2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-08-2007, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Porsche 997 Black Sport Exhaust, '06 Mercedes E350 4MATIC Iridium Silver Apper+Prem Package
Mine works with two phones(iphone and samsung) without any problem. Don't forget to press the blue button on the puck when you are pairing the second phone.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 299 Likes on 250 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Don't remember for the US BT pucks but the first Euro pucks only accepted one phone paired at a time but at least all current devices should accept 4.

It would pick up the first one appearing from those that have been paired. If multiple reachable, the one used last would get active.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:38 AM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Don't remember for the US BT pucks but the first Euro pucks only accepted one phone paired at a time but at least all current devices should accept 4.

It would pick up the first one appearing from those that have been paired. If multiple reachable, the one used last would get active.
As I understand it the puck will keep 4 phones "paired" in its memory but will connect to only one at a time. There was a post recently that explained this. The puck will look for the last phone connected for 20 seconds, then will look for others (but it is not clear whether it does so in any particular order). If you try to pair a fifth phione, one of those already stored will be deleted (again not clear whether this happens in any predetermined order).

My wife's 04 E320 has a puck (v.60 type), and it will pair with her iPhone, a RAZR and a K1. The K1 and RAZR will each connect easily each time you start the car. The iPhone frequenlty requires re-pairing to make it work and sometimes requires removal and reinsertion of the puck to get it going.

Bottom line: 4 phones can "pair". Only one can connect at a time.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
If I remember correctly, the V60 shaped puck can have up to 2 phones paired. The puck with tail can have up to 4 phones paired. I also read on the AWS site that the last phone that was connected, will be connected the next time you get in the car. When a phone the BT has previously been paired with comes into range, the puck will then look for the last phone it connected to for 20 seconds. If it finds the last phone it will connect to this. If not, it will pair with the first of the other phones it can find.

As a software developer the next part was hilarious. If you try to pair a 5th phone with the tail-puck, one of the other paired phones needs to be bumped. The only phone protected from the bump is the last one connected. Having said that, there is "no logic" behind which of the other phones is bumped!!

Priceless

So, to pair your partners Razr, push and hold the blue button on the puck for about 2-3 seconds. It will start blinking rapidly when in discoverable mode. Then, put the Razr in discoverable mode and they should find each other. I paired my Motorola Q first time. Then followed the above to pair my work Blackberry.

Good luck

Last edited by jallison12; 10-09-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:42 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Ah... the blue button! Thanks Heejin, I didn't even know there was a blue button. Gotta love those detailed instructions that came with the puck -- or not! LOL!

Both phones are paired now and both seem to be working fine.

Best,

j.