E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Any Anti-Static device for our cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
Any Anti-Static device for our cars?

Hi guys, winter is coming soon and one of the irritating thing that associated with the cold weather is the static electricity that builds up when you are exiting from the car. When I put my foot on the ground and touch any part of the car door in order to shut it, I get a big jolt from the static electricity. I am very sensitive to that damn thing! Is there any device that really works to alleviate this irritating shock? I am not interested in any chemical spray because it will dirty my car seat and my clothes. Many thanks in advance.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
Hi guys, winter is coming soon and one of the irritating thing that associated with the cold weather is the static electricity that builds up when you are exiting from the car. When I put my foot on the ground and touch any part of the car door in order to shut it, I get a big jolt from the static electricity. I am very sensitive to that damn thing! Is there any device that really works to alleviate this irritating shock? I am not interested in any chemical spray because it will dirty my car seat and my clothes. Many thanks in advance.
Do you have leather seats, should be less of a problem then? It would probably be more dependent on the cloths you wear. Next time you feel you could get the static electricity charge hit, make your hand into a fist and discharge yourself, don't do it via your finger tips. Should make it a lot less noticeable.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
whenever i go to asia, i see many cars w/ very cool looking 'thingy' that dangles down from the exhaust pipe and barely touches the ground. i'm guessing this is a device to be used as a 'ground'.. never seen one here tho
Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
Very popular in the 1950s.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by ProV1
whenever i go to asia, i see many cars w/ very cool looking 'thingy' that dangles down from the exhaust pipe and barely touches the ground. i'm guessing this is a device to be used as a 'ground'.. never seen one here tho
I've seen those, don't help in this case, my opinion is actually that it is nonsense in other aspects too.

The point is the driver gets "charged" relative to the car body. That would remain irrespectively if the car was discharged towards ground (it would anyway to the extent hat static charges would not appear), when the driver leaves the car, he/she would get discharged either against the ground or the car when those are at the same electric potential.

The driver should be grounded to the car, like we have people grounded to their table at our production when they assemble sensitive electronic parts.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by ProV1
Years ago, I used the same dangling thing when I lived in the UK; it was very common there. During later years, I discovered there was an antistatic powder that could be added to inside tires to prevent static. I remember it was available in the UK; I have not done any research here.

Last edited by pinebaron; 10-31-2007 at 10:05 PM.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
.... nothing to brag about, it is a previous model....
Mercedes' door handle (inside or out) are grounded.
You don't think it is chromed just for the look, do you?

Maintain contact with the (door frame) metal part or INSIDE handle while you are getting out of the car.