E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need to find someone with Sienna Black Exterior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 E450 4matic
Need to find someone with Sienna Black Exterior

Hi, I jut got a 2008 E350 4 Matic with the Sienna Black exterior. If you've seen this color, you know that it looks black unless in direct sunlight or at night under a street light in which case it like a dark brown metallic. I was standing outside before and noticed that the car body, rear bumper are all Sienna black - black/brown. But my front bumper is straight, pure black-no trace of the "sienna". Is this normal or did some chucklehead at the factory make a mistake.

I know if I go to the dealer I will be told....wait a minute...it's normal. It doesn't seem right to me.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
You might want to do a search for Saks and then PM those owners if you don't get a reply. HTH
Old 10-30-2007, 08:52 PM

Hmm..i was just at my local dealer in Morristown, NJ and they have a Sienna in the showroom. I'll check it out if i stop by there again.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by LRM1
Hi, I jut got a 2008 E350 4 Matic with the Sienna Black exterior. If you've seen this color, you know that it looks black unless in direct sunlight or at night under a street light in which case it like a dark brown metallic. I was standing outside before and noticed that the car body, rear bumper are all Sienna black - black/brown. But my front bumper is straight, pure black-no trace of the "sienna". Is this normal or did some chucklehead at the factory make a mistake.

I know if I go to the dealer I will be told....wait a minute...it's normal. It doesn't seem right to me.
That sounds really messed up. Was the front bumper just flat black, or at least metallic obsidian black?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)

I have Sienna black. I'll take a look later and post a response.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
You might want to do a search for Saks and then PM those owners if you don't get a reply. HTH
Huh?
Old 10-31-2007, 09:50 AM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by pmb600
That sounds really messed up. Was the front bumper just flat black, or at least metallic obsidian black?
It's glossy black, like the regular bblack color. Probably why I never noticed it. The Sienna black looks solid black under some lighting (cloudy days), looks metallic brown (dark sienna) in direct sunlight and under incadesent lighting at night looks brown. From a distance it looks solid black-which is why I never noticed it until my friend pointed it out. I shined a flashlight on it last night and it surely was a different color-you can immediately see it if you look for it. It's finished properly-just in the wrong color.

I called the dealer and he said to bring it in on Saturday when the owner is there and that they would take car of it no matter what. He said it was really strange (no s#$%). My only concern is that they come back and say "that's the way it's supposed to be" which is why I asked you guys here. The other concern is that if they do correct it, I'll be out of a car for a week to have it painted/swapped, etc. even if it doesn't cost me anything it'll still be a pain in butt.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:51 AM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by weinschela
I have Sienna black. I'll take a look later and post a response.
Thanks!
Old 10-31-2007, 10:30 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
The other concern is that if they do correct it, I'll be out of a car for a week to have it painted/swapped, etc. even if it doesn't cost me anything it'll still be a pain in butt.
Make sure they give you a decent courtesy car for the week then. A nice little CLK or something?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:59 AM

2008 E350

I just picked up this color E350 yesterday. Mine definately has the flake and "root beer" type hue on the front bumper.

Tom
Macomb, MI
Old 10-31-2007, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Huh?
He instructed you to search for "Saks" because Sienna Black was first seen on the 2007 E350 Saks Edition. The only way you could get Sienna Black for MY2007 was to buy one of the Saks cars. The color was so popular, MBUSA decided to add it to the paint options for MY2008 E-Class.

There is no reason the dealer will tell you that it should be like that. I know they say that about a lot of problems, but there is simply no explanation they can fabricate for why a painted body piece is a different color. Period.

By the way, I would be concerned about this because I don't think someone in Germany made this mistake. Before they send out the cars, they do a polish and examination under very intense light. I would be concerned that it either arrived to the US or your dealer with damage and they fixed it at either the VPC or the dealer. Some idiot at the VPC or dealer probably didn't even realize that it was the wrong color. You should see if it would be possible to get a Sienna Black painted bumper from the factory in Germany. I'm sure that the paint is applied much better there than it will ever be in a body shop here.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:50 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by pmb600
He instructed you to search for "Saks" because Sienna Black was first seen on the 2007 E350 Saks Edition. The only way you could get Sienna Black for MY2007 was to buy one of the Saks cars. The color was so popular, MBUSA decided to add it to the paint options for MY2008 E-Class.

There is no reason the dealer will tell you that it should be like that. I know they say that about a lot of problems, but there is simply no explanation they can fabricate for why a painted body piece is a different color. Period.

By the way, I would be concerned about this because I don't think someone in Germany made this mistake. Before they send out the cars, they do a polish and examination under very intense light. I would be concerned that it either arrived to the US or your dealer with damage and they fixed it at either the VPC or the dealer. Some idiot at the VPC or dealer probably didn't even realize that it was the wrong color. You should see if it would be possible to get a Sienna Black painted bumper from the factory in Germany. I'm sure that the paint is applied much better there than it will ever be in a body shop here.

That was my thought as well. My fear is that it was damaged in transit, at the dealer or being swapped to my dealer. I also thought I should demand a factory painted bumper. It's not like an emergency to fix. The question then becomes-what else could be messed up with the car?
Old 10-31-2007, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
That was my thought as well. My fear is that it was damaged in transit, at the dealer or being swapped to my dealer. I also thought I should demand a factory painted bumper. It's not like an emergency to fix. The question then becomes-what else could be messed up with the car?
Yeah I would demand a thorough inspection and a factory painted bumper. I mean, damage does happen all the time either on the boat or on the trucks so we have to keep it in perspective. What is concerning is that the damage was enough that they either replaced or repainted the entire front bumper.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,445 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
My fear is that it was damaged in transit, at the dealer or being swapped to my dealer.
There is a good chance the bumper was repainted either at the VPC (MBUSA Vehicle Processing Center) before being delivered to the dealer to repair damage in shipment, or by the dealership to repair damage caused by mishap. Personally, I think it is the latter. Request that your dealer notify the local MBUSA field rep to inspect the vehicle with you at the dealership. Personally, I would not accept anything less than a special ordered factory painted bumper. My reasoning is the vehicle is brand new and should not have been delivered damaged. If the bumper has been, or is repainted locally, it will not have Nano-particle paint protection.

FYI Nano-particle paint offers greater resistance to fine scratches and an enduring deep gloss. See page 51 of the Marketing Brochure. Further documentation can be found in your datacard listed as SA code 524 Paintwork Preservation. Both of which should be presented to the MBUSA rep. If you do not have a datacard PM your email address, VIN, and I will forward a copy.
Old 10-31-2007, 04:49 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by konigstiger
There is a good chance the bumper was repainted either at the VPC (MBUSA Vehicle Processing Center) before being delivered to the dealer to repair damage in shipment, or by the dealership to repair damage caused by mishap. Personally, I think it is the latter. Request that your dealer notify the local MBUSA field rep to inspect the vehicle with you at the dealership. Personally, I would not accept anything less than a special ordered factory painted bumper. My reasoning is the vehicle is brand new and should not have been delivered damaged. If the bumper has been, or is repainted locally, it will not have Nano-particle paint protection.

FYI Nano-particle paint offers greater resistance to fine scratches and an enduring deep gloss. See page 51 of the Marketing Brochure. Further documentation can be found in your datacard listed as SA code 524 Paintwork Preservation. Both of which should be presented to the MBUSA rep. If you do not have a datacard PM your email address, VIN, and I will forward a copy.
Thanks. I'' PM you if they give me a hard time. Appreciate all the help here.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 AM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
To confirm your suspicions, my 08 E550 Sienna Black has bumpers that are Sienna -- not simple black.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:12 AM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by weinschela
To confirm your suspicions, my 08 E550 Sienna Black has bumpers that are Sienna -- not simple black.
Thanks for that. I spoke to the dealer this morning. I'm going in Saturday so the owenr and manager are both there. They insist that they'll "make it right". I told them I wanted a factory painted bumper (due to the nano coating Konig mentioned), they insisted that they would make it factory. They believe that it is a factory defect-they don't think it was something here because he claims that the inspection they do there while they prep the car would have caught it (I ardvised they didn't catch the color variation-to which he said, they wouldn't, they look for any visible damage and honestly said that tey wouldn't even fathom the color being wrong).

At least he's saying "whatever it takes, we'll correct it properly and we will give you a loaner for the full time period (I said I didn't want them to rent me a minivan or something like that-he laughed and said we'll give you comparable or better). Seems like they want to take care of it which is good, now lets see if they put their money where their mouth is - I still am very leary of car dealers since when it comes to spending money they suddenly change their tune. Though I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Thank you everyone for your help with this. This forum is fantastic.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
If you really want coverage tell them to order you a new painted OEM bumper. Once it arrives you'll bring your car in for a swap. That way they don't need to keep your car and provide you with a loaner.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:41 AM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
If you really want coverage tell them to order you a new painted OEM bumper. Once it arrives you'll bring your car in for a swap. That way they don't need to keep your car and provide you with a loaner.
Thanks. That's what I had planned to do so it wouldn't take weeks of waiting driving a loaner. Since it's a lease I will also require documentation of the issue. If they do something wrong I don't want MB leasing telling me I'm responsible.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,445 Likes on 3,154 Posts
'71 Pinto
LRM1 PM your email address
Old 11-01-2007, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
This is very unusual. The car gets inspected twice before leaving the factory, then once before it gets loaded onto the ship and once again after it arrives and unloads off the ship, then again at VPC. And probably even one more time when the dealer picks it up. I highly doubt all these people at all these different inspection points missed this color variation. I think it was damaged here
Old 11-01-2007, 07:57 PM

1972 280SE 4.5
Lord! The things we have to do for each other around here

Put on shorts, get the camera, go outside, take a picture with flash, take a picture without flash, explain to the neighbor why the h*ell I'm out taking pictures of the bumper, plug the camera, optimize the pic in Photoshop, upload the photo, etc, etc.

Yep. The front bumper is Sienna Black just like the rest of the car!
Attached Thumbnails Need to find someone with Sienna Black Exterior-dsc02038.jpg  
Old 11-02-2007, 10:04 AM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by baxterdown
Lord! The things we have to do for each other around here

Put on shorts, get the camera, go outside, take a picture with flash, take a picture without flash, explain to the neighbor why the h*ell I'm out taking pictures of the bumper, plug the camera, optimize the pic in Photoshop, upload the photo, etc, etc.

Yep. The front bumper is Sienna Black just like the rest of the car!
THANKS! This will be in my pocket tomorrow during my visit in case I hear "It's supposed to be..."
Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Even if you don't have the picture, just look at any Sienna black vehicle on their lot and show it to them in person. If they play dumb, then crush them with lawyer talk.....
Old 11-04-2007, 09:57 AM

2004 E500 Wagon 4Matic
THANKS! This will be in my pocket tomorrow during my visit in case I hear "It's supposed to be..."
How did you get on LRM1?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need to find someone with Sienna Black Exterior