E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

A6 vs. E350 ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A6 vs. E350 ??

All -

I've enjoyed this forum over the last couple months and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on an E350 AMG package (4matic), as my current lease is up next week. I thought about giving the A6 some consideration, so i thought i'd ask for feedback or thoughts from the forum, as I know some of you have experienced the Audi's. Both models are due for a redesign around the same time between 2009/2010. What's discouraging about the Audis are the horrible residuals on leases. Thanks-
Old 11-05-2007, 03:18 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by Emile
All -

I've enjoyed this forum over the last couple months and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on an E350 AMG package (4matic), as my current lease is up next week. I thought about giving the A6 some consideration, so i thought i'd ask for feedback or thoughts from the forum, as I know some of you have experienced the Audi's. Both models are due for a redesign around the same time between 2009/2010. What's discouraging about the Audis are the horrible residuals on leases. Thanks-
Yeah, tell me about it. I just came out of an A6 (2006 Quattro 3.2-loaded with all packages) because the leases were horrendous compared to what I had. Went up like $250 per month so I started looking at other cars.

The E350 has a better (smoother) and quieter ride. At first the tranny seems strained compared to the A6m but it does adjust and the engine is similar in terms of power. Braking on the Benz is better, handling is similar.

Performance is so similar it is hard to tell. Where you can tell the differences is in the technology. If you get the Audi with the step ups such as the Tech Package, etc, you get more gadgets-many more. The Benz is an older design that seems like stuff has been added to (like BlueTooth-you need a puck. With the Audi, it just works).

The biggest difference is in the car's intuitiveness-the Audi is smart. You change a menu on screen and the dash screen changes, you enter a command from the wheel and the main controls know this and work if you touch them. The Benz is sort of half-assed in that regard. If you dial a number on the screen for example (BluETooth), and you hit send from the wheel, it doesn't work, you have to use the panel controls. Overall it's little inconsistencies that only bother you if you had the Audi first as was my case. If you've had niether it shouldn't matter. Also a bit funny that the $55k car (Audi) has more features and is smarter than the $62K benz-you get less comparatively in the Benz.

Like you noted, the models will change next year. i fully expect that Benz will "catch up" in the technology. I hope that they catch up in the intuitiveness though. Technology is great, but if it doesn't make your life easier......
Old 11-05-2007, 08:49 PM

Thanks for the feedback.. I'm turning in a Land Rover, as i want to go back to a sports sedan. It has a touchscreen Nav and built-in bluetooth. I'm just concerned that the Benz electronics will feel too antiquated, like i'm driving an old car. Hopefully it's not that bad. I had a 5-series before the Rover.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:55 AM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by Emile
Thanks for the feedback.. I'm turning in a Land Rover, as i want to go back to a sports sedan. It has a touchscreen Nav and built-in bluetooth. I'm just concerned that the Benz electronics will feel too antiquated, like i'm driving an old car. Hopefully it's not that bad. I had a 5-series before the Rover.
Truthfully at first I felt like I was going backwards in technology and i still get a little frustrated at times because the Audi was so smart, but the benz drives so nicely that I get over it. Don't expect the tech in the Benz to match the Audi though
Old 11-07-2007, 09:11 AM

2008 E350 4matic
You are right on the money with the A6. I considered one prior to going with the E350, but I got a much, much better deal than Audi would provide even with the friends and family discount.