E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Key Problem - Keyless Go not working!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 E500 Sport
Key Problem - Keyless Go not working!

For whatever reason, I'm getting the "key not recognized" message every time I try and use my keyless go (button on the shifter). After days and days of trying different things, like changing the batteries in my key, etc. I gave up. I switched my key with my wifes, and it works again. (she rarely drives the car so its no big deal to her)

My question is this: Has anyone ever had a key that would not start the car using keyless go, but would work for everything else like lock/unlock, open door without the key, etc? do I need to just go buy a new key from the dealer?

Thanks in Advance,
PetePap
Old 11-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Almost a Member!

'08 E350, '97 Porsche turbo
The keyless go works through several antennae placed around the car. I had a similar problem where two of the antennae had shorted out, so the key was not recognized by one door or when I was sitting in the car.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
If one key works... and the other does not you pretty much have it figured out.

1. The batteries are low/dead
2. The key is not working.(would be covered under warranty)
Old 11-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by csumt76
If one key works... and the other does not you pretty much have it figured out.

1. The batteries are low/dead
2. The key is not working.(would be covered under warranty)
No flame, but 2) is only applicable if the in-service date or mileage are still applicable.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:21 PM

'03 E500 Sport
Thanks all. So sounds like my key is defective, and I need to try and get a new one from the dealership, correct?
Old 11-07-2007, 04:28 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by PetePap
Thanks all. So sounds like my key is defective, and I need to try and get a new one from the dealership, correct?
I've had that happen with my Audi-it is usually just a battery. The batteries go pretty quickly on those things. I guess cause they're "always on"
Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 PM

'03 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by LRM1
I've had that happen with my Audi-it is usually just a battery. The batteries go pretty quickly on those things. I guess cause they're "always on"
Weird thing is that the key works for the other keyless go features, like just pulling the door handle and the car unlocks. It also works for locking, and unlocking the car. The only thing that doesnt work is the push button start.

IT DOES work with the other key though, so I know its my key...
Old 11-07-2007, 05:05 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Weird thing is that the key works for the other keyless go features, like just pulling the door handle and the car unlocks. It also works for locking, and unlocking the car. The only thing that doesnt work is the push button start.

IT DOES work with the other key though, so I know its my key...
Yep. Freaked me out too the first time. If you give it more time it'll stop doing those things too. Mine works, but every once in a while it says "key not found". It may be my cell phone in the same pocket interferes with it. I move it and then it works.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:37 AM

2003 E500
My first instinct would be to check the batteries too, but the OP mentioned that he already tried changing it. So unless he installed stale ones, it wouldn't be the batteries.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:54 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by JDM_SXE-10
My first instinct would be to check the batteries too, but the OP mentioned that he already tried changing it. So unless he installed stale ones, it wouldn't be the batteries.
I missed the part about changing the battery, sorry. Ironically I read this board and go to lunch-when my car tells me "change batteries in key". My car is 8 weeks and 850 miles old. These batteries are going to get expensive I'm sure.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I missed the part about changing the battery, sorry. Ironically I read this board and go to lunch-when my car tells me "change batteries in key". My car is 8 weeks and 850 miles old. These batteries are going to get expensive I'm sure.
The batteries do last a long time. I have had keyless go in 211's since 12/03. It hasnt been necessary to change the batteries more than once every 18 months. They're available everywhere (except Home Depot/Lowes), and they're cheap. Replace the batteries in pairs. (2 to a key) You don't need to get them at the MB Dealer...for sure!
Old 11-09-2007, 03:14 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
The batteries do last a long time. I have had keyless go in 211's since 12/03. It hasnt been necessary to change the batteries more than once every 18 months. They're available everywhere (except Home Depot/Lowes), and they're cheap. Replace the batteries in pairs. (2 to a key) You don't need to get them at the MB Dealer...for sure!
8 Weeks?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
8 Weeks?
Bad Battery. Old stock? If all the batteries lasted 8 weeks, would they be using them? MB doesn't make these batteries. They're used in many car remotes. Cmon!
Old 11-09-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
No flame, but 2) is only applicable if the in-service date or mileage are still applicable.

No ****. If your warranty start date and mileage are past, that would mean that you no longer have warranty.
The following users liked this post:
ron1509 (05-21-2016)
Old 11-10-2007, 01:21 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Bad Battery. Old stock? If all the batteries lasted 8 weeks, would they be using them? MB doesn't make these batteries. They're used in many car remotes. Cmon!
I'm well aware that the batteries aren't made by Benz. $62,000 friggin dollars should assure that they check the things or put new ones in before they deliver the car-if a Chinese toy company can ensure fresh batteries, then a Luxury German auto manufactuer I'm sure could too.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Its a bad battery... OK? They buy them by the pound, not "each". They're not gonna check each one. You assume all the batteries in the tons arriving will work. Unless that battery's in your pacemaker its no big deal. Get real, get a new battery, get in and start your car & go for a drive.

Yeah, the Chinese toy companies batteries all work, only the kids get poisioned by toxic chemicals in the toy, on the toy, or in the toothpaste . NO ONE's products are "each and every one" perfect.

10,000 parts in each car & you're crying about a $4.00 battery? What about a missing valve stem cap?

That's what a warranty is for. It doesn't guarrantee a perfect thing. It says that when something DOES fail, they'll take care of it.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-11-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
For whatever reason, I'm getting the "key not recognized" message every time I try and use my keyless go (button on the shifter). After days and days of trying different things, like changing the batteries in my key, etc. I gave up. I switched my key with my wifes, and it works again. (she rarely drives the car so its no big deal to her)

My question is this: Has anyone ever had a key that would not start the car using keyless go, but would work for everything else like lock/unlock, open door without the key, etc? do I need to just go buy a new key from the dealer?

Thanks in Advance,
PetePap
I had the exact same issue with a key. The key itself is the issue, take it to the Stealer and in 10 minutes they will program the key to work.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:17 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Its a bad battery... OK? They buy them by the pound, not "each". They're not gonna check each one. You assume all the batteries in the tons arriving will work. Unless that battery's in your pacemaker its no big deal. Get real, get a new battery, get in and start your car & go for a drive.

Yeah, the Chinese toy companies batteries all work, only the kids get poisioned by toxic chemicals in the toy, on the toy, or in the toothpaste . NO ONE's products are "each and every one" perfect.

10,000 parts in each car & you're crying about a $4.00 battery? What about a missing valve stem cap?

That's what a warranty is for. It doesn't guarrantee a perfect thing. It says that when something DOES fail, they'll take care of it.
Actually no, it's not. Never changed the battery. Didn't work for 2 days, now it works fine.

Who's crying? I'm saying the **** don't work-excuse me. You work in PR for Benz or something?

Maybe where you come from you expect things to break down when you drop $60k on a car-to me, the whole point of dropping $60k is to not deal with the BS. I apologize if my expectation levels are higher than yours. My GM's $.50 batteries always worked and the car cost a third as much.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Almost a Member!

E550
Is keyless go RFID (like a Lexus)? If so, I don't believe these use batteries for the RFID. RFID gets its power from the transmitter. I would bet on some kind of shielding, such as other things in your pocket, the key inside some type of key holder, etc.

But given that RFID is insecure (can be read by people standing around you in
a restaurant, etc.) I would hope that Benz did not use that. But it is my (probably senseless) paranoia that led to my decision not to get that feature.

Reference:

http://nytimes.com/2005/01/28/scienc...rtner=homepage

"The NY Times reports that the security chip in new auto keys has been cracked. A team at Johns Hopkins have found a method to extract the 30 bit crypto key that tells your car that the physical key in the ignition switch is the correct key. Texas Instruments has sold some 150 million security chips that are stored in the car key. The devices are credited with reducing car thefts of some car models by 90%. Stealing a crypto key requires standing next to the victim and broadcasting a series of challenges to the key and capturing the responses. The team claims an iPod-sized device would suffice to steal the crypto key in under a second. They advise wrapping your keys in foil when you're not using them. TI admits the team has cracked their code but denies there's any problem."

Last edited by joelaff; 11-12-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-12-2007, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Actually no, it's not. Never changed the battery. Didn't work for 2 days, now it works fine.

Who's crying? I'm saying the **** don't work-excuse me. You work in PR for Benz or something?

Maybe where you come from you expect things to break down when you drop $60k on a car-to me, the whole point of dropping $60k is to not deal with the BS. I apologize if my expectation levels are higher than yours. My GM's $.50 batteries always worked and the car cost a third as much.
Nope. I just think your rant was way out of proportion to the problem that's all... not that that means you can't yell like hell if you want to. Even Lexus has a service department for a reason... I'm sure their 460's have been in there for things too, and they cost much more than a mere E Class. It doesn't have to do with the price as much as anything can fail unexpectedly. You go in, and they fix it.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 11-12-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 PM

2003 E320 Sport
Our keyless go works most of the time. But it is pain to get in the car and push the button only to have to reach in your pocket to get the key out and start it the old fashion way.

My girl's key works 9/10 times and mine abnout 7/10. The dealer makes all kinds of excuses like you can't have coins, other keys, cell phones, or basically saying that you had to have the key by itself in the pocket and maybe it will work.

Basically, I don't use it. As far as I'm concerned, it's just one more half-assed Mercedes option that works half-assed.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Actually, you don't have to reach into the pocket & start the car with the key. Just move the key in your pocket by sliding it even slightly with your fingers thru the pants/jeans material. Also be sure you are stepping on the brake pedal hard enough to activate the switch in there too. (The brake pedal thing was more of a problem in cars before the 2007's.) Mine works better than 98 times out of 100, & when it doesn't, just sliding the key around within the pocket works.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:34 PM

'03 E500 Sport
UPDATE: So I changed the batteries again, and it seems to be working now. The only thing I can think of: When the keys were in my briefcase, something was pressing one of the buttons, making the batteries die out??

All I know is that new batteries did the trick (for now...)

PetePap
Old 11-13-2007, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 ML 350
Once in a blue moon you will still have to move the key within your pocket, as the signal from the key CAN be blocked by coins or other keys. Glad you're fixed.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Great, so the "keyless go" inspires lightening matches of pocket pool. Hopefully you won't be on a date while your fiddling with your "keys" to get your really cool car to start.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Key Problem - Keyless Go not working!