E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Question on SBC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 Porsche 997 Black Sport Exhaust, '06 Mercedes E350 4MATIC Iridium Silver Apper+Prem Package
Question on SBC

Hello all,

I have some strange experience with my brakes on '06 4Matic. Once in a while, I hear some kind of air leaking noise when I step on the brake pedal. It's not SBC buzzing noise I am familar with. Whenever I hear this noise, the feel of the brake is definitely different from normal status. This happened only few times. I think it was 5 times over 2 year period. I took my car to the dealership to have it checked, but couldn't repro the noise there.

Does anybody know if this is the symptom for brake failure or have similar problem?

Your expert opinion would be very much appreciated.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:09 AM

'06 Porsche 997 Black Sport Exhaust, '06 Mercedes E350 4MATIC Iridium Silver Apper+Prem Package
Does anybody have some detail on a backup hydraulic-only braking system? It seems to me what I have experienced was SBC failure. Of course, there is no proof for this since there is no error message at all.

Sir Konigstiger? What's your thought on this?
Old 11-26-2007, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by Heejin
Does anybody have some detail on a backup hydraulic-only braking system? It seems to me what I have experienced was SBC failure. Of course, there is no proof for this since there is no error message at all.

Sir Konigstiger? What's your thought on this?
Can you describe more what happened? I cannot think of an SBC failure without any malfunction indication (never say never though).
Old 11-26-2007, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
Can you describe more what happened? I cannot think of an SBC failure without any malfunction indication (never say never though).
I was backing my car in a stiff driveway. All of a sudden, I was hearing air leaking sound whenever I step on my brake pedal. The brake felt totally different from usual. I had to step on the pedal harder. It continued until I got to the destination and turned off the car. When I turned the car back on again, it was gone. As you could imagine, I wasn't able to repro this at the dealership.

When I read about the "backup hydraulic-only braking system", my gut tells me that what I have experience could be it. Maybe I am wrong

Last edited by Heejin; 11-26-2007 at 02:37 PM.