E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Voice Control for 2007 E350 Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1988 BMW 325is, 2007 Mercedes Benz E350 Wagon
I sent a message to MBUSA StarTek website and queried as to how this panel should come off, as the instructions didn't seem to be specific enough. Well, tonight, frustrated with thinking about having to wait for an answer and then wondering if I would ever receive one, I decided to re-examine the DVD Service Manual Library. And it appears that one needs to use a little more force to release the panel from the top side, the side closest to the second row seats. Note: Using the specified wedge makes it easier; I recommend always using the suggested tools, etc. It did finally pop up, but what the instructions don't specify is the part about accessing the TORX head bolt under neath the plastic cover for the tie down ring, or that once you have "popped" up the top side, that you then need to slide it forward and up at approximately the same time.

In any case, I carefully removed the insulating/dampening overlay, being careful not to touch anything, since I didn't have an ESD jump suit, and the slot for the Voice Control Module is definitely there, but alas the wiring lacks the power supply connector. I didn't look to see if there was wiring at the steering column, but I imagine there isn't.

Unless someone would be willing/able and/or have the expertise/knowledge to provide further guidance, I will probably let this go, at least for now. I may continue to research it and try and determine the viability of pursuing a retrofit, but I would probably be significantly afraid chartering new territory like this, without quite a bit of research and time spent reading behind me. Time will tell.

Thanks to everyone for the guidance and assistance provided. I really, really appreciated it!
Old 01-09-2008, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
You could still purchase parts from MBenzNL, I'm sure they would be able to find an appropriate set of wires, the power harness for the VCM, fibre and the stalk part. I would assume CAN signalling from the stalk instead of a specific wire from the steering wheel to the rear of the car.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 Wagon
Hello all. I have a 2007 E350 Wagon and I have the parts to install the VCS unit in the car. HOWEVER, as noted above in other posts, the car lacks the necessary part of the harness. I am, therefore, looking for a wrecked 2005 or 2006 E Class that I can pull that part of the harness from. Does anyone of a source for me to try, because I've been calling salvage yards? If not, there's got to be a way to make something that would work the same way, right?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!