E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

MB Convert and E320 Owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 12:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking MB Convert and E320 Owner

Hello all. I've been lurking for a while, but am just now getting around to registering. First, thanks to all who post here. You're opinions and reviews have me logging on to this site every free chance I get. Now, let me apologize for the length of my initial post. I just HAD to share, though!

I've been driving a BMW 528i for the last 3 years and thought I had found Auto-Utopia. It was my first car purchase on my own (20 yrs old at the time) and my first experience with a German sports sedan. I absolutly loved the car and put an order in for the e60 5 series early this year anticipating even better things to come. Then, it all began...

As an avid follower of all the 'auto scoop,' I caught my first glimpse of the new "E" late spring of this year in spy pics. WOW, I was floored! What a beautiful car. Then came a few spy shots of the MIB "E." Again, WOW! That black car was gorgeous! I kept telling myself, "Just wait for the new '5'..." So I did.

A few months went by and unimpressive spy shots of the "5" were leaking just as the "E" was debuting on showroom floors. Just as I normally do, I took off to the MB dealer here in Charlotte for a look and, hopefully, a drive. Everything was sold by the time I got there, but I got to sit in it. I was amazed and started thinking more and more about picking one up. I was trying so hard inside to stay loyal to BMW ( I REALLY loved my e39!) but something inside of me made me continually log onto this site and mbusa.com to constantly gawk at the "E."

It was about 2 weeks ago when the straw came that broke the camel's back. The real interior of the e60 5-series was captured in a spy pic. All the performance that they could, and probably will, cram into that car couldn't make up for the looks. I looked at the "E" that weekend along with the Infiniti M45, BMW 330cic, and a 2002 CLK (no 2003's to be found in these parts!). One of those shouldn't even be mentioned in the same class as the others- take a guess which...

I had to be out of town last week for a conference in Raleigh. Every break from presentations had me on the cell phone trying to locate and price "E" and "CLK" class cars. Three days later, I left early and headed to the local dealer. Two hours passed and I walked as they refused to deal. Driving home just didn't feel right. Then came the call.

I had left a message at MB of Winston Salem the day before inquiring about inventory and they just happened to call as I was passing by driving back to Charlotte. It was 6:00, getting dark and they closed in an hour and a half.

Well, my 24th Birthday is next month, so why not??? 7:35 and I'm driving home off the lot in MY new E 320. Even typing it now still brings a smile to my face. Black on Charcoal, Prem. Sound and Roof with leather. I couldn't be happier. I haven't looked back at the 5 since. The car is AMAZING and I can honestly say I'm a convert. The HK Sound ROCKS, the handling is SUPURB, and the car is solid as a rock. And I can't complain about the looks I get in it either! Debadged this past weekend, and detailed. Looking to put a smoke tint on the windows this week so it's all black (anyone got pics of the W211 with tint???). Pics will follow when it's all done.

Thanks to all whose posts and pics here coerced my subconscious into making the right choice. I can't wait for each next drive!

Nick
Old 11-12-2002, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Congratulations.....great post.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Congrats convict ! ERRRR Convert
Old 11-12-2002, 07:58 AM
jhb

2003 SL Launch Edition, 2003 E500 Pewter/Stone
Congratulations. You will never regret your decision. I think BMW has lost its way in design. The new Z4 is another example. No matter how well a car may drive, if you don't like the look and design of both the interior and exterior, it isn't for you.

muhri2 what is the status of your late October delivery?

etenn, when is your car supposed to be built and delivered, as your signature indicates only "still waiting"?
Old 11-12-2002, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Jeff:
May car was built on October 14th and was "on the water" by the 28th. Should be here but still waiting.

Ed
Old 11-12-2002, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by jhb
..... I think BMW has lost its way in design. The new Z4 is another example. No matter how well a car may drive, if you don't like the look and design of both the interior and exterior, it isn't for you.
Actually, i think that might be a little more pronounced with the new 7 series. It must handle like a dream but jeseu christ, what was Bangle thinking?
For such an awesome performing car, both the exterior and interior design was just a letdown.
Old 11-12-2002, 06:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 AMG GTR '16 BMW M3 - '05 Porsche Carrera S
Originally posted by jhb
Congratulations. You will never regret your decision. I think BMW has lost its way in design. The new Z4 is another example. No matter how well a car may drive, if you don't like the look and design of both the interior and exterior, it isn't for you.

muhri2 what is the status of your late October delivery?

etenn, when is your car supposed to be built and delivered, as your signature indicates only "still waiting"?
jhb, I'm fixing my signature - just got it - check here..
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=22290