E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Sirrius Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 E450 4matic
Sirrius Question

Does anyone else have issues with Sirrius fading in and out or going "blanK' for minutes while showing "acquiring signal"?

Mine will fade in and out, on bad weather days it will spend more time acquiring signal than playing anything. I haven't gotten to the poiunt of taking it to the dealer but I suspect I know what the answer from them will be. Benz may blame Sirrius and Sirrius, Benz.

I know satellite is sensitive to bridges, etc but having just come off of XM and NEVER having had to acquiree signal outside of say the Lincoln Tunnel, I can't understand why this thing is so bad-could it be losse wire to the roof antenna? Does Sirrius suck? Just trying to be ready for whatever argument is thrown at me.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:05 PM

E-320 Bluetec
Happens to me all the time and has been discussed at length in earlier posts. I have XM in another vehicle (Yukon XL) and seldom lose a signal. I think it's due to the position of their satellites.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
GLE 63S
Sirrius

Originally Posted by dtrentr
Happens to me all the time and has been discussed at length in earlier posts. I have XM in another vehicle (Yukon XL) and seldom lose a signal. I think it's due to the position of their satellites.
Happens in my wifes E500 and in my Dodge RAM 1500 SRT10 also with Sirrius
Old 12-15-2007, 07:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1972 280SE 4.5
+1
Old 12-15-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by LRM1
Does anyone else have issues with Sirrius fading in and out or going "blanK' for minutes while showing "acquiring signal"?

Mine will fade in and out, on bad weather days it will spend more time acquiring signal than playing anything. I haven't gotten to the poiunt of taking it to the dealer but I suspect I know what the answer from them will be. Benz may blame Sirrius and Sirrius, Benz.

I know satellite is sensitive to bridges, etc but having just come off of XM and NEVER having had to acquiree signal outside of say the Lincoln Tunnel, I can't understand why this thing is so bad-could it be losse wire to the roof antenna? Does Sirrius suck? Just trying to be ready for whatever argument is thrown at me.
There is a problem with your antenna software, or SAT unit. The drop outs only occur after 6 seconds of blocked signal & then the unit takes 6 seconds to buffer the new signal before resuming play. I have had Sirius in my 2 cars since the units were 1st made available for my '04 several months after the car was delivered, and have experienced every problem that MB had, learning along the way. The Satellite Radio learning curve is over for MB. You should NEVER have minutes of "Searching For Signal". When I had that on my '04, they had to replace my antenna. Even on my '07 I had "Searching for Signal" screens appear at times, BUT the radio played. (This has been fixed, and the system is perfect)

My experience is that if you have a lot of "Searching For Signal" displays, AND no sound, with an unobstructed view of the Northern Mid-West part of the sky, at least your antenna or cable is bad.

Don't suffer. Make them fix it.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:37 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
There is a problem with your antenna software, or SAT unit. The drop outs only occur after 6 seconds of blocked signal & then the unit takes 6 seconds to buffer the new signal before resuming play. I have had Sirius in my 2 cars since the units were 1st made available for my '04 several months after the car was delivered, and have experienced every problem that MB had, learning along the way. The Satellite Radio learning curve is over for MB. You should NEVER have minutes of "Searching For Signal". When I had that on my '04, they had to replace my antenna. Even on my '07 I had "Searching for Signal" screens appear at times, BUT the radio played. (This has been fixed, and the system is perfect)

My experience is that if you have a lot of "Searching For Signal" displays, AND no sound, with an unobstructed view of the Northern Mid-West part of the sky, at least your antenna or cable is bad.

Don't suffer. Make them fix it.
Thanks will do. It seems to happen mainly in bad weather though which is why I thought it might be Sirrius like the other reponses here (thanks all).
Old 12-19-2007, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'03 E500
It's the Sirius tuner...

If you have an earlier model tuner (XACT or Starmate 1 or 2) the buffer time is long. And they'll drop occasionally.

I just upgraded to the Sportster 5 and it hasn't buffered yet (had it a coupla weeks).

Old 12-19-2007, 05:23 PM

2021 E450 4matic
Originally Posted by Taylor-Made'90
It's the Sirius tuner...

If you have an earlier model tuner (XACT or Starmate 1 or 2) the buffer time is long. And they'll drop occasionally.

I just upgraded to the Sportster 5 and it hasn't buffered yet (had it a coupla weeks).

Don't know which I have. Just got the car. 08 E350
Old 12-19-2007, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by Taylor-Made'90
It's the Sirius tuner...

I believe he's talking about non MB (Best Buy) OTC radios and you are talking about the factory Sirus receiver. Am I right?

BTW the actual Satellite receiver is located in the right rear inner fender behind the trunk liner. Its behind the crescent shaped bulge that intrudes into the small, netted storage area.

MB is up to installing Gen 3 SAT receivers in the cars. If yours is an MB unit, do yourself a favor & have it fixed by the dealer. (I also assume your antenna has a clear view of the sky & is not blocked by tree limbs overhanging a narrow street.)
Old 12-19-2007, 08:18 PM

2021 E450 4matic
I believe he's talking about non MB (Best Buy) OTC radios and you are talking about the factory Sirus receiver. Am I right?

BTW the actual Satellite receiver is located in the right rear inner fender behind the trunk liner. Its behind the crescent shaped bulge that intrudes into the small, netted storage area.

MB is up to installing Gen 3 SAT receivers in the cars. If yours is an MB unit, do yourself a favor & have it fixed by the dealer. (I also assume your antenna has a clear view of the sky & is not blocked by tree limbs overhanging a narrow street.)
Yep, yep and yep. Next time I go in I'll have them look at it. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 PM
Almost a Member!

'08 E350, '97 Porsche turbo

Hopefully they can help me. The reception in my little Prius is better than the '08 Mercedes.