Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket upgrades

Anyone do any of the followng yet?

1. Tint
2. Hardwire radar

Thinking of doing Formula One on the wife's E500 and Passport 8500 hardwire.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Working on both. I've got the tint scheduled for late this week and I am just waiting for the V1 hardwire parts to come in before I have it done (left the last ones in my BMW that I traded last week). Dealer wants $100 to hardwire, local and well respected car audio shop wants $35. Thinking I may take it to the dealer just to avoid any possible issues. Wired it into my 5 series myself via web instructions, but this one looks to be a little more complicated. I've considered wiring it to the fuse panel myself, but I just can't bite the bullet. I'm going for an "on dash" install- what are you thinking for location???

Nick
Old 11-12-2002, 09:02 PM

I did my 330 conv myself..hardwired into light panel above rearview mirror..just like you per web instructions. it was a piece of cake....thinking of doing same location on the E500..I'll prolly spend sometime this weekend studying the overhaed light panel on the E and see if I can tap into the power for my Passport 8500....not much DIY available for MB :-(
Old 11-12-2002, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
My MB dealership has two subcontractors working parttime on premises:

The electronic sub wired my Passport 8500 to the cigarette lighter. He tried the overhead connection as I had it in my 2001 SL, but he could not do it correctly in the CLK, so he wired it to the cig lighter.

The other sub did my window tinting.

This is the only way I would go: With a MB recommended sub, because of potential warranty issues.

PS:
MBUSA advises against tinting, because of water getting into the computers located in the doors.